Author Topic: Penang88 is a great durian  (Read 1556 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Penang88 is a great durian
« on: January 21, 2018, 01:30:53 AM »
My grafted Penang88 and I forgot its D number is small,about 15 feet high and is 8 years old. It first fruited 4 years after being planted. My red prawn next to it is bigger older and sets far fewer fruit and none this season.Penang88 also has excellent quality fruit and is a prolific bearer. I prefer the fruit to red prawn and the main thai commercial types.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: Penang88 is a great durian
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 02:28:21 AM »
Congratulations Mike, you are so lucky to have access to various varieties of grafted durian! Is the Penang 88 strongly flavored, sweet,  alcohol,  bitter?

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 07:03:34 AM »
D178

Very nice small tree and so many fruits.

But for me Mongthong is still #1, i ate mountain cat durian last month but mongthong is more creamy...

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 08:51:57 AM »
Congratulations 🎊 Mike on your Durian tree, I see a tiny branch holding several Durians, did you said it flower 4years after being on the ground, how long before that did you grafted it? Did the flowers took at that time or this is the first time is bearing?
El verde es vida!

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 09:14:18 AM »
Fruit forest farm has short video of 4 year old D178 fruiting I think you know that fellow.If you get to many fruit on one branch will it cause to die back? It does on jackfruit
  I would be happy with a crappy durian fruiting here in florida

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 10:07:03 AM »
Thanks for the info Mike. Next time I visit Asia, I’m going to go on a Durian mission to try as many different varieties as possible. My palate was so used to Mornthong, the only variety we used to get here in the USA but now we get Musang King. After trying Musang King, it is now my favorite variety. I like the little bit of bitterness it has, reminds me of the bitterness from straight black coffee. The first time I tried Musang King, the bitterness was not so pleasant but now I crave it. They are currently available at Luckyseafood in Mira Mesa for $10.99/pound.

Simon

jimreevescairns

• Cairns, Far North Queensland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 06:28:08 AM »
Hi Mike
Very productive tree !! None of mine flowered this year even though only a few km away - maybe too much rain. Looks like a nice small tree to fit in limited space. Did you get it off Peter Salleras / Katrina? I have a few grafted varieties from them. All still very small. Very tempting to poke another one in even though I probably don’t really have enough space
Regards Jim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk