Author Topic: July 2018 Visiting Malaysia: Penang, Kuching  (Read 4216 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
July 2018 Visiting Malaysia: Penang, Kuching
« on: January 21, 2018, 05:46:02 PM »
Inspired by yearofthedurian.com blog this July we'll be in Penang and Kuching for one week each.  The blog is comprehensive on all things Durian and beyond, so we have mapped out many spots.  However, any advice from prior travelers or locals is appreciated!

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: July 2018 Visiting Malaysia: Penang, Kuching
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 10:46:07 PM »
So very cool Future, can't wait to hear about it! Good luck!

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 10:48:26 PM »
You go to durian buffet in Penang and the tropical fruit farm and supermarket.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 09:46:30 AM »
I’m planning to go in August myself.  So many places to go in a relatively small country.  I’m thinking Penang, then Kuching and travel around Sarawak and Sabah for two weeks.  I’m very interested in other durian species, and pretty much everything.  There appear to be large markets in out of the way places.  The durian blog probably lists and reports on more than is practical to visit.
Peter

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 07:08:25 PM »
I’m planning to go in August myself.  So many places to go in a relatively small country.  I’m thinking Penang, then Kuching and travel around Sarawak and Sabah for two weeks.  I’m very interested in other durian species, and pretty much everything.  There appear to be large markets in out of the way places.  The durian blog probably lists and reports on more than is practical to visit.
Peter

Indeed it is a hotspot.  Absent experience, I am using her durian app and posts to determine seasons.  Penang is an interesting one given it is relatively small yet has a distinct, short season in July (and a longer one November-ish to January-ish).  From her posts, imports from other locations will likely make some form of durian available.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 07:50:04 PM »
I have been looking at a few sources for info and I know the blog cuts off Penang at the end of July.  I would get there about one week later.  Seasons are not so predictable.  Until the trees flower you can’t really know.
August seems good for Borneo and the Malay peninsula south of Penang.  Maybe later in the season the prices might be lower....
There’s a guy I know, Chris Hind, who is there now.  He is knowledgeable and rants quite a bit but his FB page is full of his recent travels in Central America and SE Asia.  A lot of great photos too.  He’s been finding lots of different durian species.
Peter

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 08:10:35 PM »
Peter

No big markets on Penang, for that you go Borneo...and watch movies on youtube.
Fruitmarket on Penang are dirty and not cheap and not much fruit. I think better go Borneo longer for fruit.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 09:18:06 AM »
So Sunny, do you recommend anywhere on the Malay peninsula or only Borneo.  And what places do you think are the best on Borneo?
Thanks, Peter

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 07:02:25 PM »
I only was in Penang and KL and didn't see big fruit market. Maybe KL has somewhere i think.

You can see video's from fitshortie and find that markets...they make nice film. And you can see what borneo seedsellers have in stock so you know if it is season, it is now i think.

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 10:02:40 AM »
I visited Kuala Lumpur in oct/sept recommend SS2 neighborhood. all u can eat durian buffet for like $5. multiple varieties on 'tap'. me an my wife ate 20 small durian. amazing experience.
Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 08:36:08 PM »
Now is the last durian season in kuching division and serian division.usually the best time to hunt for fruits in sarawak is between october to january.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 08:42:38 PM »
By the way if durian is really your interest you can try searching for more wild varieties and species in kalimantan.try going to east kalimantan or west kalimantan.east kalimantan is where the largest city in borneo samarinda with more than 900 000 people is located.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 09:37:22 PM »
By the way if durian is really your interest you can try searching for more wild varieties and species in kalimantan.try going to east kalimantan or west kalimantan.east kalimantan is where the largest city in borneo samarinda with more than 900 000 people is located.

Is there a nice tropical fruit park in Indonesia/Malaysia? I know penang fruit garden but is there one on the big island which is good for tourist?

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 01:14:56 AM »

Is there a nice tropical fruit park in Indonesia/Malaysia? I know penang fruit garden but is there one on the big island which is good for tourist?
Try sabah agricultural park in tenom(sabah state in the borneo island)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 08:36:57 PM »

Thanks Arvind.  What fruits, if any, can be found in Kuching or Serian area in July?

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 01:46:31 AM »
Well jun till september is not the fruiting season for most fruits in the kuching and serian area except mangifera species

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 08:35:08 AM »
Not sure if other areas in sarawak will have durians in july.to be safe come during the end of the year preferably december.lots of local fruits like mangosteen,chempedak,pulasan,langsat,rambai etc.besides its christmas .lots of booze too since sarawak is a non muslim majority state in malaysia.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 08:58:14 AM »
Not sure if other areas in sarawak will have durians in july.to be safe come during the end of the year preferably december.lots of local fruits like mangosteen,chempedak,pulasan,langsat,rambai etc.besides its christmas .lots of booze too since sarawak is a non muslim majority state in malaysia.

I thought only Bali is non muslim....i will tell the wife, think she will go now with me.

In july thailand has durian everywhere but we have durian whole year.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 08:08:03 PM »

I thought only Bali is non muslim....i will tell the wife, think she will go now with me.

In july thailand has durian everywhere but we have durian whole year.
::) bali is in indonesia while sarawak is in malaysia.also aside from bali east nusa tenggara in indonesia(flores,west timor is a majority non muslim region.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 09:21:19 PM »
Well jun till september is not the fruiting season for most fruits in the kuching and serian area except mangifera species

Thanks.  What local mangifera do you rate highly?

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 05:44:20 AM »

Thanks.  What local mangifera do you rate highly?
Kuini aka mangifera odorata.then there is bacang which I believe is mangifera foetida.we also have mangifera indica the common mangoes but the quality is lacking and it is also a shy bearer here since it is not suited for the climate in sarawak .the rainfall we receive anually is staggering.coastal sarawak has rainfall more than 3000mm anually

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 10:35:34 AM »
July and August is not the best time to visit Borneo for fruits. While some may be in season the main season is usually around dec/jan

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 08:34:06 PM »
The timing of a trip to Malaysia for fruits can be tricky.  There are a few sites/blogs with information regarding seasons.  Certainly the best would be to get some on the ground intel about available fruits and timing a couple of months before the trip.  That should be doable.
July and August supposedly are the best months for the East side of the Malay peninsula which could be pretty good in itself.  It’s also a good time for most of the rest of western Malaysia.  While some sites say it is more marginal for Sarawak and Sabah it is said to be strong for Brunei which is between the two.  It’s going to come down to whether or not Northern Borneo gets a dry season around February, March to get the fruit set we crave.
Peter

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 07:38:15 AM »