Author Topic: New lychee in Taiwan  (Read 3886 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
New lychee in Taiwan
« on: June 20, 2016, 01:17:07 PM »
Warren shared this link out on Facebook and I thought I'd share it here.  Check out the size of these lychees!!
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2012/06/20/2003535817

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: New lychee in Taiwan
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »
Oh wow, that looks like an amazingly good lychee variety. I wonder how long until the trees are available in the U.S. ... maybe 10 years if we are lucky  :o.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:42:57 PM »

Those are HUGE!! Almost the size of an orange  8)...

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »
Looks amazing! wonder if it tastes as amazing as it's size, color,and shelf life.

Question, is there this type of work (new varieties) happening in FL? And if not, how come?
Hardly see anything new emerging on the lychee front here like we do with mango - I guess for some obvious reasons, but still...
always longing for a JA Julie

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 02:24:15 PM »

Those are HUGE!! Almost the size of an orange  8)...

Not quite. Forced perspective = The lychees are closer to the camera. They still look great  8)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 02:49:35 PM »
Thanks for posting. Those lychees look much larger than 40g. The Sweethearts that Leo Manuel and I grew wer larger than that. Here's one of Leos Lychee that weighed 49 grams.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17117.msg216996#msg216996

Simon

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 04:47:19 PM »
And here's an old picture of one of the fruits that came off my tree that weighed 46.2g.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=7096.msg93557;topicseen#msg93557

Simon

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 02:17:42 AM »
I am a little turned off by the rose scent. Does it have a rose flavor too?
I would like to hear some flavor reports. Not that I could grow it anyways. It doesn't get cold enough. Low 50s is our freezing winter.  :'(

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 04:43:59 AM »
I'm sure this is the same as the one that's been planted here in Mackay. I forget the cultivar name of that one and they don't give it in the article. Looks on the small size for that type.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 04:48:12 AM »
The one in central QLD is Erdon Lee and is producing fruit already. Often get over 100g.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 05:03:29 AM »
I would like to hear some flavor reports. Not that I could grow it anyways. It doesn't get cold enough. Low 50s is our freezing winter.  :'(
No lychee needs temperature any lower than low 50's. That is actually perfect winter temperatures for lychee. Where are you in Kauai that you get such low temperatures? Or maybe that temperature was a typo? Or are you above 2000 ft. elevation?
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 05:05:49 AM »
The extended season (into August) and super long storage ability (30 days) are probably a lot more important commercially than the large size of this cultivar.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 05:17:05 AM »
Mmmmm they are nowhere near as big as FZSs of the larger line if you look at past pics I posted of 50g or more fruit.I don't think they are erdon lee.They have elements of FZS shape, kwai mai pink skin and the longitudinal ring of salathiel.I know haak yip is the main Taiwanese type so perhaps it seems elite by comparison to this variety in terms of shelf life and size.Call me a skeptic but if they are superior to the big line FZS, erdon lee or the a4 giant seedless Ill eat me hat.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 01:08:07 PM »
No lychee needs temperature any lower than low 50's. That is actually perfect winter temperatures for lychee. Where are you in Kauai that you get such low temperatures? Or maybe that temperature was a typo? Or are you above 2000 ft. elevation?

400ft elevation. East side, it gets to 50's every night for a week.  That is not all night, but in the morning its around 50-55. I should make it a priority to measure the number of hours. They make those thermometers that can plot the temperature over time.   I figured it wasn't enough chill hours, because they only market Emporer, Bosworth-3, and Kaimana, so I figured those must be low chill hour varieties....

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 05:56:25 PM »

400ft elevation. East side, it gets to 50's every night for a week.  That is not all night, but in the morning its around 50-55. I should make it a priority to measure the number of hours. They make those thermometers that can plot the temperature over time.   I figured it wasn't enough chill hours, because they only market Emporer, Bosworth-3, and Kaimana, so I figured those must be low chill hour varieties....
Amazing that your temperatures get that low at that very low elevation. I'm at 650 ft. and temperatures never go below 60 degrees here. OK Kauai is a tiny further from equator than Hawaii but didn't think it would make that big a difference.
Kaimana and B-3 fruit here fine. These varieties don't need chill. Lychees originate in southern China where temperatures don't get below 50F in winter, but is very hot, 90's, in summer. It's not just the chill that is important but also the difference between lowest temperatures and highest temperatures.
Oscar