Author Topic: Garcinia Spacing  (Read 1728 times)

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
Garcinia Spacing
« on: July 23, 2019, 01:24:59 PM »
Hey what would the recommended spacing be for Garcinia xanthochymus, garcinia hombriana, and garcinia livingstonei?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Garcinia Spacing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 04:47:39 PM »
If you have the space I’d say 10m for xanthochymus.  Livingstonii might be 8m.  I’ve never seen hombriana, I think it’s smaller though.
Suerte,
Peter

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 12:13:27 AM »
If you have the space I’d say 10m for xanthochymus.  Livingstonii might be 8m.  I’ve never seen hombriana, I think it’s smaller though.
Suerte,
Peter
Thank you! Didn't know imbe needed that much space.

Anymore suggestions are appreciated as well before I plant them in ground, can any 3 of these plants be kept pruned nicely while still producing a lot of fruit and reducing spacing needs?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
I doubt you need 8 - 10 meter spacing, especially if you are not growing a grove of fruit trees. Much of the spacing requirements recommended relate to orchard grown trees that will need space in between for vehicles and machinery.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 09:02:45 AM »
I can't see anyone needing more than 10ft between garcinias.  Even that is a quite a bit.  Most garcinias (at least the ones that we can grow in south florida) can be trimmed into a large bush at maturity.  The largest ones that I've seen are Gamboge and even 30 year old specimens if left untamed might only need about 15ft to thrive. On our new property I have yet to plant any out, however next summer will probably be when I'll get to it and I plan on using 7-8ft spacing....and I am not limited on space on my property either.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 10:27:24 AM »
From the species, I'm growing

G. hombroniana and Achachairu are a good deal more vigorous. (by Garcinias standards)

This is compared to; dulcis (slowest), madruno, intermedia, brasiliensis, acuminata (Charichuelo) and Mexican

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 12:18:41 PM »
I guess my conditions are very, very different but I have Achacharu planted at 10 meters and the branches badly cross over each other from the neighbor trees.
Peter

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 03:25:17 PM »
I can't see anyone needing more than 10ft between garcinias.  Even that is a quite a bit.  Most garcinias (at least the ones that we can grow in south florida) can be trimmed into a large bush at maturity.  The largest ones that I've seen are Gamboge and even 30 year old specimens if left untamed might only need about 15ft to thrive. On our new property I have yet to plant any out, however next summer will probably be when I'll get to it and I plan on using 7-8ft spacing....and I am not limited on space on my property either.
I guess my conditions are very, very different but I have Achacharu planted at 10 meters and the branches badly cross over each other from the neighbor trees.
Peter
I doubt you need 8 - 10 meter spacing, especially if you are not growing a grove of fruit trees. Much of the spacing requirements recommended relate to orchard grown trees that will need space in between for vehicles and machinery.

I have seen multiple places mention tropical plants not growing as fast or tall in locations like California or Florida. An example I saw a Sapodillia tree only grew to 20 feet tall in 30 years I think in California. So I'd assume you guys being in florida would require less spacing?

I had already planted a garcinia hombriana in ground before this post, need to check the spacing. And about 3 imbes within a few feet of each other as an experiment to see if they'll fuse or do something else. Hoping theres at least 1 male and female between the 3.

I have 2 achachairu that are many 4 feet tall and they're growing nicely, 1 is planted pretty close to other plants so worried I might need to take them out.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 06:14:17 PM »
if you land, plant them far apart. If you don't have space, you can plant it closer, then trim it down when it gets big.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 08:45:24 AM »
Peter
I know of two fruiting Achachairu in Fort Myers,  southwest Florida zone 10A. They were planted too close maybe 3 meters and clearly need 8 to 10 meters in south Florida. The Bolivian governemnt recommendations are for 8- 10 meters for Achachairu(Garcinia humilis). Since they will take up to 10 years to reach that diameter you could plant fast growing nurse trees like sugar apple etc between at first.
here is their growing guide in Spanish:
http://www.sicsantacruz.com/sic/index.php/fruticultura/188-cultivo-del-achachairu

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk