Author Topic: 2020 lychee crop good or not?  (Read 3844 times)

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
2020 lychee crop good or not?
« on: April 16, 2020, 07:49:26 PM »
So what is the 2020 lychee crop like this year?Over here on Pineisland looks better than last year.I grow mostly fayzee siu lychee=sweetheart or florida hakip lychee

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 lychee crop good or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 08:01:25 PM »
For me in Jupiter, no show this year.
I only have 3 trees but they flushed vegetative instead of flowers.
Maybe next year.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 08:16:27 PM »
12 of my 18 trees flowered heavily but I will be lucky to get 3 - 4 pounds of fruit in total. Some set well but the panicles thinned down after the fruit were a little bigger than pea sized. The trees are on irrigation so I do not think it was a watering issue. If I had planted 18 mango trees instead, I would probably harvest 500 - 1000 pounds of mangos.
Brandon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 09:27:23 PM »
Yikes. I was told that fruit drop was due to lack of water. Apparently, they need boatloads of water during that period.

I'm in a similar situation though: 1 lychee on a 13 year old mauritius and maybe a dozen or so on a 10 year old sweetheart... :-(

12 of my 18 trees flowered heavily but I will be lucky to get 3 - 4 pounds of fruit in total. Some set well but the panicles thinned down after the fruit were a little bigger than pea sized. The trees are on irrigation so I do not think it was a watering issue. If I had planted 18 mango trees instead, I would probably harvest 500 - 1000 pounds of mangos.
Jeff  :-)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 09:53:25 PM »
Lol lychees

Our Mauritius crop is zero.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 10:04:19 PM »
Are you guys pruning your trees heavy in June/July?
I just wondered because the past two years I got a huge crop of longans
and when I harvested I cut the whole branch back that the panicle was growing on.
Last year I didn't cut them back and this year I have barely any fruit on one tree
and one tree nothing? It seems like this spring instead of flowers I got new growth?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 11:28:56 PM »
Yikes. I was told that fruit drop was due to lack of water. Apparently, they need boatloads of water during that period.

I'm in a similar situation though: 1 lychee on a 13 year old mauritius and maybe a dozen or so on a 10 year old sweetheart... :-(

Top work it with the hawaiian cultivar?
Brad Spaugh

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 08:46:42 AM »
Alex you have mangos already!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBmFwKH5bVY

Some of the big groves out near the lake or Homestead must have crops.My only mauritius lychee tree over the concrete driveway dropping some big fruit this week very disturbing I try not look.
 Kaimana lychee does not fruit that regular for me and is one of new mites favorites!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:41:09 AM by shot »

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 09:12:06 AM »
I girdled one of the branches on my mauritius tree and (thus far) it's holding onto a decent amount of fruit. My sweetheart lychee put out a bunch of flowers but it looks like they all dried out and so that's 8 years or so without fruit from that one. I already removed the 2nd sweetheart tree last year and replaced it with an avocado. My prediction is at least 1 of the 2 remaining lychee trees is also getting the chainsaw treatment to make room for something that actually produces fruit (maybe another loquat, banana, or mango).

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 10:00:33 AM »
My Mauritius is holding several hundred, girdled 1/3 of the branches  whipped the trunk with a chain and fertilized with Har's Zero nitrogen. When flowers appeared I started watering the interior heavily every 5 days or so. All fruit are on the North and West sides of the tree.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:16:11 AM by strkpr00 »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 10:55:49 AM »
quote author=strkpr00
My Mauritius is holding several hundred, girdled 1/3 of the branches  whipped the trunk with a chain and fertilized with Har's Zero nitrogen.
I girdled one of the branches on my mauritius tree and (thus far) it's holding onto a decent amount of fruit.

As  I mentioned last year my lychee trees (Brewster & Sweetheart) that were storm damaged (similar to girdling) produced lychee good above the damaged areas. I did not have to recut them this past year & I have the same on the sweetheart but less on the Brewster so I guess I will have to cut them for next years crop.

What time of the year did you guys cut yours? I cut mine by the storm about Sept. Just wondering if it matters but I doubt it since once damaged good, mine have given fruit more than 2 years...

I suggest girdling or chipping with axe etc. to damage your tree and make it think this might be the end... It had best reproduce... Seems to work for lychee anyway.  And I agree that watering a lot is definitely necessary once it blooms till fruit mature(probably a month before bloom). My poor little hose is requesting irrigation replacement... Some day.. Some day. lol.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 04:40:33 PM by palmcity »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 11:20:26 AM »
So what is the 2020 lychee crop like this year?Over here on Pineisland looks better than last year.I grow mostly fayzee siu lychee=sweetheart or florida hakip lychee

Hey! Would you mind selling or trading me some sweetheart/hak ip seeds (in a moist paper towel or something like that)??

My only sweetheart flushed out vegetative growth this spring, while my only Mauritius actually pushed out quite a few panicles with some developing fruit.. but then again they're only saplings, and I'm in North Fl anyway..
Also, my kohala sapling put out a few panicles and is still flowering.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:22:31 AM by 850FL »

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 03:19:10 PM »
I have Sweethearts in Bradenton and they have virtually no fruit this year.  I also have Hak Ip trees 30 miles inland at Myakka City and these are covered in fruit.   

Garden_Harley_FL

• Bradenton, Florida 9b
    • View Profile
    • Garden FL
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 03:40:04 PM »
My Sweetheart got the Erinose mite I had to take the tree out unfortunately
Harley
Garden Instagram: http://instagram.com/garden_florida
Youtube Garden Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6i8EQzQEZ8twcQptkD360w

I heart Annonaceae

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 01:54:52 PM »
I girdled one of the branches on my mauritius tree and (thus far) it's holding onto a decent amount of fruit. My sweetheart lychee put out a bunch of flowers but it looks like they all dried out and so that's 8 years or so without fruit from that one. I already removed the 2nd sweetheart tree last year and replaced it with an avocado. My prediction is at least 1 of the 2 remaining lychee trees is also getting the chainsaw treatment to make room for something that actually produces fruit (maybe another loquat, banana, or mango).

Thanks for the info regarding your girdling. Please keep us updated on wether or not the fruit holds to maturity. Is any other part of your tree that was not girdled holding any fruit?

If girdling works, it may become a necessity to increase odds of a decent crop for those that live in warmer climates.

I wonder if others in Florida might experiment with girdling/cincturing. It would be a good idea to start documenting if this technique works. Timing of this technique  is probably critical.

Simon

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 01:59:16 PM »
Mauritius Very heavy !

Ed

Zone 10

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 02:53:04 PM »
I air-layered 2 longan branches when the tree started flowering.
Each branch had more fruits than the rest of the tree.

I suggest you try girdling when your lychee starting to flower.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 04:45:51 PM »

If girdling works, it may become a necessity to increase odds of a decent crop for those that live in warmer climates.

I wonder if others in Florida might experiment with girdling/cincturing. It would be a good idea to start documenting if this technique works. Timing of this technique  is probably critical.

Simon
quote author=strkpr00
My Mauritius is holding several hundred, girdled 1/3 of the branches  whipped the trunk with a chain and fertilized with Har's Zero nitrogen.
I girdled one of the branches on my mauritius tree and (thus far) it's holding onto a decent amount of fruit.

As  I mentioned last year my lychee trees (Brewster & Sweetheart) that were storm damaged (similar to girdling) produced lychee good above the damaged areas. I did not have to recut them this past year & I have the same on the sweetheart but less on the Brewster so I guess I will have to cut them for next years crop.

What time of the year did you guys cut yours? I cut mine by the storm about Sept. Just wondering if it matters but I doubt it since once damaged good, mine have given fruit more than 2 years...

I suggest girdling or chipping with axe etc. to damage your tree and make it think this might be the end... It had best reproduce... Seems to work for lychee anyway.  And I agree that watering a lot is definitely necessary once it blooms till fruit mature(probably a month before bloom). My poor little hose is requesting irrigation replacement... Some day.. Some day. lol.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 05:17:06 PM »
Easy to believe when seen so I jumped outside & took the pictures...

Storm damage Sept. a few years back & at least 2 years of productive crops off limbs. The hap ik or sweetheart (whichever it is as good, sweet, and small seeds) had sever damage to all limbs were cracked & taped together till wound scars healed. I will probably need to injure it if no storms come this Aug. to Nov. for next years crop. All of trunk limbs were injured & now all of top limbs are producing. 

I have previously recommended this to Cookie on posting. Hopefully it's working for you now?

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 05:26:46 PM »
This Brewster tree was 1/2 injured a few years ago and the 1/2 branch produces yearly but it grows slower with bearing fruit and healing.

The other 1/2 of trunk is now 2/3 of trunk due to vegetative growth and is not bearing fruit. I will definitely injure it this Sept. if no storns this Aug. to Oct.

Enjoy, & get your knives, axes, and chainsaws to work before next years crop... lol

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 06:16:51 PM »

Thanks for the info regarding your girdling. Please keep us updated on wether or not the fruit holds to maturity. Is any other part of your tree that was not girdled holding any fruit?

Simon

There are maybe 1 - 2 lychees total on the other half of the tree (the non-girdled side).

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 10:27:43 PM »
That’s great information everyone. Like Seanny, I also air layered my Longan which involves girdling. That branch that was girdled had more blooms and held more fruit than the rest of the tree although the other parts of the tree that were not girdled also held fruit.

The research that I read suggests that girdling does work but there are multiple factors to consider. I posted lots of info many years ago, I’ll repost it if I can find it.

Simon

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 10:47:14 PM »
In Sarasota, it’s a great year for lychees. 

FZS / Sweetheart / Hak Ip = great fruit set
Mauritius = great fruit set
Emperor = excellent fruit set, heaviest of my varieties
Kaimana = decent (medium) fruit set
Ohia = nothing

Brad
Brad

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2020, 01:16:25 PM »
I live in North Fort Lauderdale, about 4 miles from the beach and in my neighborhood there are at least 10 huge Lychees trees, but I have not seen even ONE fruit on any of these trees!  We have not had temps here under 45 degrees for several years so this another BAD lychee year. My small BK Longan has a handful of fruits.   
FloridaGreenMan

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2020, 04:03:51 PM »
I see some of my sweetheart turning color!! YAY!