Author Topic: help with newly planted trees  (Read 2133 times)

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
help with newly planted trees
« on: October 02, 2019, 03:52:45 PM »
Hi, I planted this Lisa Atemoya and Longon about 3 weeks ago.  Now they both look like they are dying.  The atemoya is drooping big time.  The Longon, the bottom branches/ leaves are dead, and the top looks like they are about to die.  I used Kellogg cactus mix for the soil.  I used the moisture meter, and it has "good" amount of moisture.  Should I water some more? Is it transplant shock?

A couple of before and after pictures.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: help with newly planted trees
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 05:44:58 PM »
How hot is it?

How often are you watering the plants?

Were the plants in direct light before you planted?

You may have to put a temporary shade cloth over both trees or?

I planted a mulberry that I had rooted from a cutting and it fell apart
like your trees are, and I dug it up and put in a pot in the shade. When I planted
the mulberry it was in a 3 gallon pot and I dug it up and put it in a 7 gallon. The tree is fine
now and I will plant it again soon. Those were really nice trees before they got stressed from planting.

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 06:58:20 PM »
How hot is it?

How often are you watering the plants?

Were the plants in direct light before you planted?

You may have to put a temporary shade cloth over both trees or?

I planted a mulberry that I had rooted from a cutting and it fell apart
like your trees are, and I dug it up and put in a pot in the shade. When I planted
the mulberry it was in a 3 gallon pot and I dug it up and put it in a 7 gallon. The tree is fine
now and I will plant it again soon. Those were really nice trees before they got stressed from planting.

I would say it average about 85-90 degrees here in So Cal lately.  Last few days were in the 70s.  The trees do get direct sunlight, especially the longon.  It will be 90s by Friday.  I water when the soil gets dry (with moisture tester that goes down about 6".  The longon  might be too big to dig out, but the Lisa should not be too hard to dig out and potted.  Not sure If I want to put more shock into it though.

I forgot to mention.  The longon has a few tips that looks like new growth, but they are all brown, and look dead.  So I guess there used to be new growth, but they are brown and dead now. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:05:09 PM by sosamo »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 07:12:02 PM »
One question, how deep were they buried?
Is the collar or root crown at the surface or is it buried.
I have killed a transplant or two by planting too deep.

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 07:20:31 PM »
I planted a little above ground level because I know they will sink over time.  A lot of my trees are seating below ground level, so i know.  I planted them deep enough up to the tops of the root ball.  The only thing above the root ball is about 1-2" of Kellogg grow mulch.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 08:11:17 PM »
In the past I have gotten trees from a wholesale nursery and it turned out some of trees
were in greenhouses getting filtered light. When I put them in direct sun it was too much.
It's nice to see the trees when you buy them and you can determine their conditions and
avoid shocking them. I have always watered newly planted trees every day for at least 2 weeks.
Especially when we are in the 90s. I watch them close after 2 weeks to be sure they are not
collapsing. If you are going to be in the 90s the next few days
I would watch closely and if you don't want to re pot the trees put shade cloth over them.

Right now you don't have to worry about the new growth shriveling up on the longan you 
need to make sure the tree doesn't die. when it gets acclimated and happy there will be plenty
of new growth.

I recently planted 2 new macadamia trees that were air layered and in citri cups. Their leaves
look dehydrated anyway. It's been close to a month and I gave them some Epsoma Hollytone and
am still watering 4-5 tomes a week. We haven't had a drop of rain since Hurricane Dorean
and it's hot every day. It's such a relief when the new trees put out some new growth.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:30:06 PM by achetadomestica »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 09:24:09 PM »
Trim the small one.Its transplant shock ,water stress but it doent matter now how well you wet them because its too late.
The big one will recover,the smaĺl one you can trim it and let only 2-3 leaves on it.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 12:57:05 AM »
Don't wait until they dry out to water them. They are newly planted, in full sun, and need all the moisture they can get...especially with the hot temps forecasted the coming week.
-Chris

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 01:23:13 PM »
Trim the small one.Its transplant shock ,water stress but it doent matter now how well you wet them because its too late.
The big one will recover,the smaĺl one you can trim it and let only 2-3 leaves on it.

Thanks.  So pluck most of the leaves on the Lisa, and just leave the tip and a few of the leaves?

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 01:24:27 PM »
Don't wait until they dry out to water them. They are newly planted, in full sun, and need all the moisture they can get...especially with the hot temps forecasted the coming week.

Thanks. I will water them this evening to prepare them for the 90degrees+ weather the coming 3 days.

After something thinking.  I will take Lisa out of the ground, pot her, and hope she will survive.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 01:44:28 PM by sosamo »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 01:51:03 PM »

Thanks.  So pluck most of the leaves on the Lisa, and just leave the tip and a few of the leaves?
Yea ,leave just a few leaves on the small one and the tip.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 05:03:11 PM »
  I planted them deep enough up to the tops of the root ball.  The only thing above the root ball is about 1-2" of Kellogg grow mulch.

I can't see for sure in the pic, but the 2" Kellogg mulch should not be near the trunk.

How did you get the plants out of the pots? Do this wrong could damage the root or broke the root ball off the trunk.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 05:12:11 PM »
I zoomed in the pic and can tell that the trunks are covered with soil too high. But this can't kill the trees like in this case in couple weeks. I would say either there are air pockets (soil was not pushed down hard enough). fill the basin with water and try to push the soil down until soil is stable. Remove soil around trunk until root at trunk exposed. 

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 06:08:08 PM »
  I planted them deep enough up to the tops of the root ball.  The only thing above the root ball is about 1-2" of Kellogg grow mulch.

I can't see for sure in the pic, but the 2" Kellogg mulch should not be near the trunk.

How did you get the plants out of the pots? Do this wrong could damage the root or broke the root ball off the trunk.

I was thinking grow mulch is not like regular mulch, so it's ok to go up to the truck..hhmm.  For these 2 trees, i cut the pot, then put them in the hole.  I didn't pull by the trunk. 

I dug up the Lisa yesterday.  The soil was pretty dry down about 4".  Pass 4" then the soil was more moist, but not wet.  I guess for small trees, I should have tested the soil with the moisture meter down only about 3 or 4"

Here is the lisa in a pot, and stripped of a lot of its leaves.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 09:25:33 PM »
Make sure you put the Lisa in the shade.
No direct light

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 12:50:24 PM »
Make sure you put the Lisa in the shade.
No direct light

Doesn't it need some sunlight?  Right now I put on the side of my garage. It get about a 4 hours of directly sunlight, then shade.  So put it in the shade all day long?

Thanks.

Side note. Yesterday was a scorcher.  Some of my container atemoya and cherimoya, the leaves are looking very sad and droopy.  I moved them away from full sun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk