Author Topic: Does the location of the graft matter on a mango tree?  (Read 987 times)

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
Does the location of the graft matter on a mango tree?
« on: April 20, 2020, 09:58:33 PM »
I was at Walter Anderson Nursery, and I saw a bunch of mangoes from LaVerne that were about 2ft tall, with the graft right at the top.  This is the first time I've noticed encountering that...  Will that make any difference down the road?  Why do they graft it there?
--Jake

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Does the location of the graft matter on a mango tree?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 10:27:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

After lots of experimenting with grafting Mangos, I’ve found that high grafts are better than low grafts because the resulting trees tend to grow more vertical and have less tendency to become droopy. Many of my low graft trees, such as those that were epicotyl grafted, tended to grow more horizontal and also tended to flower more precociously and for a significantly longer period of time.

Something to consider with high graft trees is that if there is damage high up on the tree but below the graft line, you will not be able to head back the tree to healthy wood without losing your grafted Variety.

In SoCal, I highly recommend a high graft tree over a tree that was grafted much lower.

Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 10:28:47 AM »
Grafting high can also be good for dwarf mango trees, eg, Julie.
Jeff  :-)

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 03:01:24 PM »
I'm heading over to Walter Anderson Nursery in a couple hours -- I have been eyeing their mango trees from LaVerne for about a month now... the high graft (with little scion growth) was the only thing that put me off.

Planning to pick up an Alphonso, Glenn, and Gold Nugget... They also have Haden, Manila, and Timatoy (sp?).  Thoughts?
--Jake

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 01:56:08 AM »
My new mangotree's are grafted very low, right above the soil...they were large branches of a mature tree to which they connected the rootstock...

My tree's branch out low which is perfect because i need low mangotree's, easy for picking fruit. They still have a central leader plus 4-5 branches around it, all growing upwards...exactly what i like.

This kind of graft can also be done with 3-4 rootstocks connected to the tree, there are many video's about that online from indonesia.