Author Topic: Pruning Poncirus for root stocks  (Read 1113 times)

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
Pruning Poncirus for root stocks
« on: July 26, 2019, 04:03:41 PM »
I have over 100 Poncirus seedling from 7 years old to new seedlings started last fall.  None have been pruned as I wanted all possible growth to go toward making a big healthy root.  But really, 7 years is a bit much.
I don't think pruning now would be good.  I think it would stimulate new growth that wouldn't be well established for winter.  Winters here get down to 0 F, or about -18 C.
But come spring, what would be a good plan for pruning?  Cut back lower branches, I would guess, as the lowest branches are 1 cm or 2 cm above ground on some of them.  Some have been pruned by deer, which I'll be dealing with.  And should I not take off too much in one year.

And should I prune those special ones I got for breeding differently than those to be root stocks?  The breeders I want to bloom as soon as possible, the root stocks may never bloom, as far as I care.

I'm asking here because it seems Poncirus pruning in zone 6 isn't a hot research topic.  If anyone on Earth knows how to do this, here is the best place to look.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Re: Pruning Poncirus for root stocks
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 04:18:02 PM »
Walt, I suggest for rootstock purposes, to attempt to get a straight section of trunk with as few crooks as possible. If a rootstock is very crooked and contorted I cut the stem off directly above a vigorous sucker on the lower trunk.
I am attaching a photo of a plant that was branched and crooked this spring. I cut it off above a vigorous shoot in spring and it developed a nice straight stem.

I would prune any Poncirus destined for fruiting very minimally especially in regards to topping the trees.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:59:40 AM by kumin »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 04:58:03 PM »
Walt. Let poncirus for seed go. Do not prune. It is the slowest growing rootstock (besides FD) and it needs all growth, especially height and bushiness. It takes some time to reach the right node count and pruning will delay that. For rootstock pick the ones with upright growth habits. Most poncirus fares well if you prune, and make a straight, clean place to bud or cleft about 3 inches long. Prune even the thorns as they will be in your way.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 11:29:04 AM »
Citrus blooms only on new wood.  Pruning by it very nature removes the new wood.  Therefore the bloom will be nonexistent or greatly reduced if pruned. No bloom equals no fruit.