Author Topic: Rollinia Problems  (Read 13281 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Rollinia Problems
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 02:01:10 AM »
Californiatropicals, you can't really very well comapre storing rollinia and cherimoya seeds. Rollinia seeds are recalcitrant, ie have to be stored moist. Whereas cherimoya seeds can be dried and stored for a very long time. So a tiny bit of pulp on cherimoya after totally dry is not as big of a problem as a tiny bit of sweet pulp on rollinia seeds that will spoil the whole batch. They're like 2 totally different animals.
Oscar

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 04:47:00 AM »
I think freshness or age of the seed would be a better indicator of germination rate.
The seeds I received were all dry and lord only knows how many years old but I still managed to germinate at least one. I won't truly know until I have access to fresh rollinia seeds and am given the opportunity to store some but I do consider them to be like other annona seeds.

Californiatropicals, you can't really very well comapre storing rollinia and cherimoya seeds. Rollinia seeds are recalcitrant, ie have to be stored moist. Whereas cherimoya seeds can be dried and stored for a very long time. So a tiny bit of pulp on cherimoya after totally dry is not as big of a problem as a tiny bit of sweet pulp on rollinia seeds that will spoil the whole batch. They're like 2 totally different animals.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 05:21:21 AM »
I think freshness or age of the seed would be a better indicator of germination rate.
The seeds I received were all dry and lord only knows how many years old but I still managed to germinate at least one. I won't truly know until I have access to fresh rollinia seeds and am given the opportunity to store some but I do consider them to be like other annona seeds.

If the rollinia seeds you received were years old they wouldn't have germinated. If you store rollinia seeds correctly you get 100% germination, or very close to it. I sell these seeds all the time. I also plant them myself, and have mature fruiting trees.
Oscar

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 12:28:48 AM »
Rollinia mucosa/deliciosa seeds do not keep.  Some of the other Rollinia species probably do keep, but I have not tested that.
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 12:44:28 AM »
The other strange thing is that Caltropicals says the rollinia seeds came from India. I've never seen a rollinia fruit there. I doubt this is true.
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »
You're quoting CAtropicals quoting TopTrop? 

The other strange thing is that Caltropicals says the rollinia seeds came from India. I've never seen a rollinia fruit there. I doubt this is true.
Tim

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 07:10:52 PM »
You're quoting CAtropicals quoting TopTrop? 

Yeah, i know Tim. I was trying to tell Caltropicals not to believe it!
Oscar

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 11:25:47 PM »
 That is what  I was told  when I sent an inquiry to top tropicals about where the rollinia seeds were from. I sent an inquiry because of the  zero germination I got on rollinia from other sources.  Chances are that the person who responded didn't really know the source of the rollinia seeds. All I know is that I ordered 20 + seeds, they came dry, and only this one germinated.  I know the rollinia seedling I have is very interesting.. It doesn't have a sweet smell to it like cherimoya leaves do it actually has an offensive odor.. lol Much like paw paw leaves..   The sour sop seedlings I grew ( from Florida provided seeds) smells somewhat like the rollinia, However the offensive fragrance is less potent..  ;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 12:35:31 AM »
Even very fresh rollinia seeds if packed dry will not stay fresh for very long. Main mistake was not to pack them in moist medium. Rollinia seeds are very different than what you are used to: soursop, atemoya, cherimoya. Those will all keep fine dry for very long time.
Oscar

amaqeq

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 07:45:38 AM »
Rollinia mucosa/deliciosa seeds do not keep.  Some of the other Rollinia species probably do keep, but I have not tested that.

Guanabanus, I believe you are right, probably under the name Rollinia mucosa
few Rollinia species seeds are distributed, wrongfully but maybe not deliberately

That topic made me bit curious, To set an experiment I've purchased today
seeds from honest seller in Europe, His seeds came from source I know
but won't mention neither of them not to damage anyone.
The seeds stock is few months old and described as Rollinia deliciosa
According to the seller no one complained about bad seeds
And for my knowledge he wont risk his reputation just to catch few gullible buyers

If and When the seeds arrive I'll weight and measure them before planting few.
My phone camera is old but I'll try to take few photos as well
And inform if something interesting happen

There is surely a certain degree of confusion
http://www.montosogardens.com/rollinia_mucosa.htm

Propagation and Culture

Biriba is usually grown from seed, but superior cultivars may be propagated by grafting.  It can be grafted onto rootstocks of Annona montana or Annona glabra, which causes dwarfing.  Seeds remain viable for up to 3 years if they are kept cool and dry.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 08:04:09 AM »
I have grown rollinia seeds quite a number of times over a prolonged period of the smoother ones I call mucosa and the 'spiny' ones I call deliciosa.If you thoroughly clean,wash and dry seeds they seem to keep their viability longer.Some fruit have much larger seeds and these seem to keep their viability longer than small seeds.From memory I have planted dry seeds many weeks after extraction and had good germination rates.

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 12:35:55 PM »

Guanabanus, I believe you are right, probably under the name Rollinia mucosa
few Rollinia species seeds are distributed, wrongfully but maybe not deliberately

That topic made me bit curious, To set an experiment I've purchased today
seeds from honest seller in Europe, His seeds came from source I know
but won't mention neither of them not to damage anyone.
The seeds stock is few months old and described as Rollinia deliciosa
According to the seller no one complained about bad seeds
And for my knowledge he wont risk his reputation just to catch few gullible buyers

If and When the seeds arrive I'll weight and measure them before planting few.
My phone camera is old but I'll try to take few photos as well
And inform if something interesting happen

There is surely a certain degree of confusion
http://www.montosogardens.com/rollinia_mucosa.htm

Propagation and Culture

Biriba is usually grown from seed, but superior cultivars may be propagated by grafting.  It can be grafted onto rootstocks of Annona montana or Annona glabra, which causes dwarfing.  Seeds remain viable for up to 3 years if they are kept cool and dry.

According to what I've read  Rollinia Deliciosa and Rollinia Mucosa are one in the same.  I recall reading a story where the changed the name from mucosa because they thought the name was unappetizing... The mucosa name coming from the fact that overripe fruit  has a texture like snot or mucus.

That being said, I've also received rollinia deliciosa seeds from a reputable e bay seller that were supposedly very fresh and packed in moist peat moss. All 5 failed, Most were already rotted upon arrival.. It's a bummer. I know they have the potential to stay viable dry.. because of the one seed I germinated from top tropicals.  I feel though that it's probably best to get fresh seeds lol.

amaqeq

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 10:58:26 AM »

At the column under 6 are few of the alleged Rollinia deliciosa seeds which arrived today
they are from few months old stock, seed scarification was not done by me, they arrived like that, deed that will probably shorten even further the seed's period of viability.
After soak in water till they will sink (or not), they will be placed in peat moss
(kekkila germination grade)
Maybe I'll try few things like .1~.2% potassium nitrate, 350PPM gibberellic acid
24 hours bath, or just cracking few
But basically my preference is not to bother with them to much
If they will they will and if not not
Next update will be posted after they either sprout or rot

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:40:59 PM by amaqeq »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2012, 02:26:42 AM »
Giberellic acid is only useful for seeds that go into dormancy, for example ilama. I don't think it will help to sprout rollinia seeds as they sprout fine right out of the fruit. GA3 might even impair sprouting of rollinia seeds.
Oscar