Author Topic: Rootstock for atemoya  (Read 4298 times)

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
Rootstock for atemoya
« on: December 12, 2017, 07:57:13 PM »
In my area it seems that most atemoya are sold on cherimoya rootstock. Is there a reason atemoya seeds can’t be used as rootstock? I don’t have access to cherimoya seeds but have plenty of atemoya.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Rootstock for atemoya
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »
Cherimoya has less problem with bacteria wilt so that's why it's a preferred root stock.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 09:27:08 PM »
It also makes atemoyas grow into large trees and makes it harder to grow them in tropical areas. Gefner and African pride are the two most tropical varieties and I reckon sugar apple would be better as a rootstock in warmer climates for these.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 10:39:46 PM »
Cherimoya has less problem with bacteria wilt so that's why it's a preferred root stock.

Thanks Seanny. Might explain it.

Mike did you mean cherimoya makes them larger? Figured it was less suitable to tropical areas like yours. Hmmm in in a subtropical climate. Might try find cherimoya seeds, though not sure bacterial wilt is a big problem here. Might experiment on atemoya hmmm

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 01:34:15 AM »
There are a few wilting diseases that cherimoya are better at withstanding. Cherimoya makes the tree more vigorous that other rootstock options.

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 11:55:28 PM »
what about the use of pond apple and mountain sorsop root stock...?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 02:01:45 AM »
For home orchard we use what ever root stock is available. Mines have round leaves but I'm not sure they are cherimoya. I have a few seedlings from cherimoya tree that has 8" wide leaves.

Compost feed bacteria. Mixing compost to dirt might contribute to bacterial wilting.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 01:18:42 PM »
It also makes atemoyas grow into large trees and makes it harder to grow them in tropical areas. Gefner and African pride are the two most tropical varieties and I reckon sugar apple would be better as a rootstock in warmer climates for these.

The data I'd read out of Australia (I believe from the custard apple growers information kit) said that sugar apple was dwarfing in cooler subtropical climates, but the warmer the climate was the less apparent the dwarfing tendency, with no dwarfing tendency shown in the tropics. Fruitscapes down here uses all sugar apple rootstock nowadays, and after seeing Luke's Issan Indigo sugar apple mother tree survive 24hrs with the root crown under 6" of water, I'm likely going to start experimenting with using it as rootstock. That said I still really like how vigorous my trees on cherimoya roots are compared to the sugar apple ones so far.

Dom

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »
Atemoya rootstock has been working well.
-Josh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 07:48:38 AM »
Sugar apple rootstock is better in the tropics and produces smaller trees. I am sure in the subtropics sugar apple rootstock would keep the trees smaller as well. Pond apple is a poor rootstock and has repeatedly failed in Queendand.. Atemoya rootstock is reputedly prone to disease in wetter areas but it may depend on variety. I am curious how reticulate and soursop would go and suspect the custard apple may be alright.I bet ilama would be alright in warm climates as atemoya rootstock.

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 02:31:54 PM »
Any experiences with grafting onto Rollinia? I am looking to graft onto my Rollinia and am wondering what is possible?

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 12:31:57 AM »
Atemoya rootsrocks works just as well as cherimoya for me. Seedlings of atemoyas are also vigorous. Especially african pride and geffner

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk