Author Topic: First Jackfruit of the Season-awesome  (Read 14477 times)

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
First Jackfruit of the Season-awesome
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »
Had my first Jackfruit of the season. Picked it already ripened on the tree. It is from a J-31. The fruit to rag ratio was the best I have seen so far and very minimal latex. I almost wish I had weighed the components to get an exact ratio. I had a UFC fight night party at my house on Saturday night and left it whole on the table.... so many people were curious about it that I put Richard Campbell's book standing up next to it to let them answer their own questions. I got roped into cutting some of it up for a few friends to try and converted 2 or 3 into Jackfruit lovers! No one in my family will eat it besides me except one son so I love it when I can share this knowledge and expose newbies to the love of tropical fruit!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:04:25 PM by MarinFla »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: First Jackfruit of the Season-awesome
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 09:18:30 PM »
Let me know when you have another one ripe.  I'd like to come over and sample it! ;D
John

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:54:13 AM »
Glad to hear the J-31 is awesome.  I recently planted one I got from Jeff.

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:05:12 AM »
Dang jackfruit and a UFC fight? Sounds like a great night!

-Luke

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:49:02 AM »
Glad to hear the J-31 is awesome.  I recently planted one I got from Jeff.

Dan of all the jacks I have tried so far, the J-31 has been my favorite taking into consideration of 1. size of the fruit (25-30+ lbs) and productivity, 2. texture (firmer/crispier) and flavor  3. amount of latex (minimal) 4. flesh to inedible parts ratio good. You made a good choice. How big is your tree?

natsgarden123

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »
Congrats on your beautiful Jackfruit-sounds delicious  :)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 01:08:32 PM »
Hi Marin,

That Jackfruit sure looks YUMMY ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for sharing ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »
Lucky you Marin, I've never been able to find fresh Jack fruit here...looks very yummy!! I'm afraid canned is the only option I have from the Oriental store. Enjoy!!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 01:46:49 PM »
Lucky you Marin, I've never been able to find fresh Jack fruit here...looks very yummy!! I'm afraid canned is the only option I have from the Oriental store. Enjoy!!

Nancy,

I bought once canned Jackfruit  YUCK...never more >:( the ''crispy'' texture...yeah. But, the flavor...NAY :(
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »
Lol...Steven, I've had a few bad experiences with Canned Jackfruits myself...but I'm not easily dissuaded. I keep trying different brands till I find a good one. I've had some that weren't too bad ( my standards have gone way down since I've not been able to find fresh Jackfruit, Ha!).

This brand is one of the "better" ones I've tried. Better than nothing if you know what I mean  ;D

natsgarden123

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 02:05:05 PM »

Nancy,

I bought once canned Jackfruit  YUCK...never more >:( the ''crispy'' texture...yeah. But, the flavor...NAY :(

The supermarket here sells canned Jackfruit -I tried it-its very stringy and it has a lot of latex like material in it- and I almost choked dangerous for children

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »
Lol...Steven, I've had a few bad experiences with Canned Jackfruits myself...but I'm not easily dissuaded. I keep trying different brands till I find a good one. I've had some that weren't too bad ( my standards have gone way down since I've not been able to find fresh Jackfruit, Ha!).

This brand is one of the "better" ones I've tried. Better than nothing if you know what I mean  ;D

The ''Koala'' canned jackfruit ain't good. :( you can only taste the syrup :'( as you said it better than nothing. Hope Lucia doesn't mind coming to my shores ;D ;D ;D

After that bad experience... I will wait for my small jacks to produce :) No more Koala Jacks for me ;) ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the pic :)
Time is like a river.

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »
Nancy, I will send you some seeds and you can grow it in a pot!! It will fruit in a pot!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 02:57:02 PM »

Nancy,

The supermarket here sells canned Jackfruit -I tried it-its very stringy and it has a lot of latex like material in it- and I almost choked dangerous for children

Hi Natsgarden,

Yikes...you almost chocked.  :o I agree...it ain't safe for children!!!!  The canned jack I bought was nicely cleaned.

Time is like a river.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »
Marin, thanks for the kind offer...I better not get anything else to try and grow right now. Jackfruit trees can get pretty large and I have my hands full with my 2 new Mango trees I recently got. Thanks though! That is very nice of you...I'll stick to my canned ones,lol...

lkailburn

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 04:17:29 PM »
Nancy, I will send you some seeds and you can grow it in a pot!! It will fruit in a pot!

It will??  :o

-Luke

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 04:28:10 PM »
Luke they will fruit in a pot...it just has to be a big pot. Minimum 20 gallon... but preferably bigger if you want a big healthy tree.

lkailburn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 04:38:28 PM »
Cool! I never knew that it could be done

-Luke

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 05:14:11 PM »
Luke they will fruit in a pot...it just has to be a big pot. Minimum 20 gallon... but preferably bigger if you want a big healthy tree.
While it may not be optimal, and some may say it should be aborted, but I have seen jackfruit fruit in both 7 and 15 gallon pots.  While a jackfruit tree will get large, it can be maintained at a height of approximately 10 feet and still provide you with plenty of consumable fruit (assuming your objective is not to produce for sale).
- Rob

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »
hey puglvr1... some may turn up their noses to these places, but certain Vietnamese markets in Orlando, currently have orange fleshed, whole or cleaned Jacks from Mexico.  I also saw durians, rambutans, and lychees.... although I normally get my lychees locally in the Melbourne area.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 06:34:26 PM »

Nancy,

In my opinion the best product made from jackfruit is the vacumn dried jackfruit from Vietnam. The dried jacks from Thailand are good, but the ones from Vietnam are really excellent, and made with no oil added. I think BMc mentioned already how good these are, and i totally agree with him.
Oscar

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 08:24:15 PM »
Next time I make it out in the Orlando area...I'll check out some of these places. I live in a very small town and we don't have an Oriental store anymore (Closed down about 3 years ago). Orlando is around 2 hours from me.

Oscar, I'll have to check to see if they have those "dried"  Jackfruits...wouldn't mine trying some to see if I like it.

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 09:26:34 PM »
Let me know when you have another one ripe.  I'd like to come over and sample it! ;D

Johnb51.... you are in luck. I picked up another one!

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »
Yep, for those times I'm without access to decent Jakfruit, these from Yuen's or Burlington satisfy my cravings

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 10:10:30 PM »
Next time I make it out in the Orlando area...I'll check out some of these places. I live in a very small town and we don't have an Oriental store anymore (Closed down about 3 years ago). Orlando is around 2 hours from me.

Oscar, I'll have to check to see if they have those "dried"  Jackfruits...wouldn't mine trying some to see if I like it.

Easiest probably would be to buy them online. I've never done that, but as i recall there were a bunch of vendors on eBay.
Oscar

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 07:29:57 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions Oscar, BMc (appreciate the picture, now I know what the package looks like) and thanks for the links(Rob). Will check them out later...

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 08:43:20 PM »
Hey Marin
I picked my first J-31 jakfruit today. It was a small one and only weighed 12lbs. This is my favorite!

FloridaGreenMan

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »
Wow...Nice Jackfruit and Mangoes FGM...looks delicious!!

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 10:13:05 PM »
Hey Marin
I picked my first J-31 jakfruit today. It was a small one and only weighed 12lbs. This is my favorite!

That J-31 is my absolute favorite!! I cleaned one already and plan to clean the second one Saturday morning. The first one was 21#. I didn't weigh the second one yet. If it were possible to get Jackfruit poisoning and it were deadly they would be playing taps for me already :)
I have been eating a pound or two per day  ;D.  I started some seedlings and will try to graft a few of them.
PS I have the Miami Lecture you did on a DVD for you.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 07:36:52 AM »

There is no rest for the amberjacks and just as well as they command the highest price.The next generation of rootstock for jacks and chempadak varieties in a farms' 'lab'.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 09:12:01 AM »

There is no rest for the amberjacks and just as well as they command the highest price.The next generation of rootstock for jacks and chempadak varieties in a farms' 'lab'.

Mike
Here's what we call an AMBERJACK in Florida
(:>) FGM

FloridaGreenMan

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 09:21:08 AM »

Mike,
I think you put the wrong last pic.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 09:53:39 AM »
I have caught amberjacks around here and that is why the amber jackfruit has such a catchy name.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »

Mike,
I think you put the wrong last pic.

Yes, that last photo are durians, not jacks.
Oscar

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »

Johnb51.... you are in luck. I picked up another one!

I tasted this jackfruit today.  I would describe the flavor as "mango-like with melon and banana notes."  I can understand the comparison to Juicy-Fruit gum.  Sweet.  Somewhat crunchy.  (I'm sure the flavor must vary from one cultivar to the next.)  Thanks, Marin, for saving some for me.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:13:23 AM by johnb51 »
John

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
John, when it is frozen it doesn't seem as sweet. If you leave a piece on a plate and let it defrost (but don't let it get warm) it will taste sweeter. I freeze it right away instead of letting it sit in the fridge 1. because I love it frozen like a tropical fruit bar and 2. it will continue to ripen more in the bag and it becomes too sweet for me. ( and 3. because my family complains that it stinks up the entire refrigerator and all the food in it starts to taste like Jackfruit  :-[ ... Next time I get one, which should be March 23rd, I will get it to you fresh (or you can come over to partake of the joy of cleaning one of these  :o) so you can compare the difference! Plant those seeds in some pots!!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 10:52:53 AM »
John, when it is frozen it doesn't seem as sweet. If you leave a piece on a plate and let it defrost (but don't let it get warm) it will taste sweeter. I freeze it right away instead of letting it sit in the fridge 1. because I love it frozen like a tropical fruit bar and 2. it will continue to ripen more in the bag and it becomes too sweet for me. ( and 3. because my family complains that it stinks up the entire refrigerator and all the food in it starts to taste like Jackfruit  :-[ ... Next time I get one, which should be March 23rd, I will get it to you fresh (or you can come over to partake of the joy of cleaning one of these  :o) so you can compare the difference! Plant those seeds in some pots!!
You are gonna make John wait 9 months??   ;) :o :P ??? 8)
- Rob

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 10:55:43 AM »

Wow Thanks Rob...overdosing on tropical fruit is causing me Alzheimer type symptoms:) Thanks
No That would be June 23rd LOL
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:58:20 AM by MarinFla »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »

Wow Thanks Rob...overdosing on tropical fruit is causing me Alzheimer type symptoms:) Thanks
By the way, you need to cleanse your palate with other varieties of jaks...too much of one kind will burn you and your taste buds out  ;) :)
- Rob

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 01:01:33 PM »

By the way, you need to cleanse your palate with other varieties of jaks...too much of one kind will burn you and your taste buds out  ;) :)
Meet you for a Jackfruit tasting at Excalibur??

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »
Hi,

Here's the Famous Koala canned Jacks ;D

I dumped the jacks in a colander...till there no more trace of that nasty syrup on them jacks. I put the jacks in the fridge and was serve cold.
It was good :) Next time, never again eating canned jacks without straining the syrup.

ps...it was an excellent snack while I was watching ''A Man Named Pearl''  8)
Time is like a river.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
Steven, those looks pretty good for canned. I have one can left...saving it since its my last one,lol...

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 03:18:22 PM »
Steven, those looks pretty good for canned. I have one can left...saving it since its my last one,lol...

Hi Nancy,
It was the last one on the shelf too ;D ;D ;D I striked whilst the iron was hot. they fly pretty fast you know ;) ;D ;D
Time is like a river.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk