Author Topic: First Jackfruit of the Season-awesome  (Read 14490 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: First Jackfruit of the Season-awesome
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 07:29:57 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions Oscar, BMc (appreciate the picture, now I know what the package looks like) and thanks for the links(Rob). Will check them out later...

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 08:43:20 PM »
Hey Marin
I picked my first J-31 jakfruit today. It was a small one and only weighed 12lbs. This is my favorite!

FloridaGreenMan

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »
Wow...Nice Jackfruit and Mangoes FGM...looks delicious!!

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 10:13:05 PM »
Hey Marin
I picked my first J-31 jakfruit today. It was a small one and only weighed 12lbs. This is my favorite!

That J-31 is my absolute favorite!! I cleaned one already and plan to clean the second one Saturday morning. The first one was 21#. I didn't weigh the second one yet. If it were possible to get Jackfruit poisoning and it were deadly they would be playing taps for me already :)
I have been eating a pound or two per day  ;D.  I started some seedlings and will try to graft a few of them.
PS I have the Miami Lecture you did on a DVD for you.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 07:36:52 AM »

There is no rest for the amberjacks and just as well as they command the highest price.The next generation of rootstock for jacks and chempadak varieties in a farms' 'lab'.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 09:12:01 AM »

There is no rest for the amberjacks and just as well as they command the highest price.The next generation of rootstock for jacks and chempadak varieties in a farms' 'lab'.

Mike
Here's what we call an AMBERJACK in Florida
(:>) FGM

FloridaGreenMan

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 09:21:08 AM »

Mike,
I think you put the wrong last pic.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 09:53:39 AM »
I have caught amberjacks around here and that is why the amber jackfruit has such a catchy name.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »

Mike,
I think you put the wrong last pic.

Yes, that last photo are durians, not jacks.
Oscar

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
Let me know when you have another one ripe.  I'd like to come over and sample it! ;D

Johnb51.... you are in luck. I picked up another one!

I tasted this jackfruit today.  I would describe the flavor as "mango-like with melon and banana notes."  I can understand the comparison to Juicy-Fruit gum.  Sweet.  Somewhat crunchy.  (I'm sure the flavor must vary from one cultivar to the next.)  Thanks, Marin, for saving some for me.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:13:23 AM by johnb51 »
John

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
John, when it is frozen it doesn't seem as sweet. If you leave a piece on a plate and let it defrost (but don't let it get warm) it will taste sweeter. I freeze it right away instead of letting it sit in the fridge 1. because I love it frozen like a tropical fruit bar and 2. it will continue to ripen more in the bag and it becomes too sweet for me. ( and 3. because my family complains that it stinks up the entire refrigerator and all the food in it starts to taste like Jackfruit  :-[ ... Next time I get one, which should be March 23rd, I will get it to you fresh (or you can come over to partake of the joy of cleaning one of these  :o) so you can compare the difference! Plant those seeds in some pots!!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 10:52:53 AM »
John, when it is frozen it doesn't seem as sweet. If you leave a piece on a plate and let it defrost (but don't let it get warm) it will taste sweeter. I freeze it right away instead of letting it sit in the fridge 1. because I love it frozen like a tropical fruit bar and 2. it will continue to ripen more in the bag and it becomes too sweet for me. ( and 3. because my family complains that it stinks up the entire refrigerator and all the food in it starts to taste like Jackfruit  :-[ ... Next time I get one, which should be March 23rd, I will get it to you fresh (or you can come over to partake of the joy of cleaning one of these  :o) so you can compare the difference! Plant those seeds in some pots!!
You are gonna make John wait 9 months??   ;) :o :P ??? 8)
- Rob

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 10:55:43 AM »

Wow Thanks Rob...overdosing on tropical fruit is causing me Alzheimer type symptoms:) Thanks
No That would be June 23rd LOL
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:58:20 AM by MarinFla »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »

Wow Thanks Rob...overdosing on tropical fruit is causing me Alzheimer type symptoms:) Thanks
By the way, you need to cleanse your palate with other varieties of jaks...too much of one kind will burn you and your taste buds out  ;) :)
- Rob

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 01:01:33 PM »

By the way, you need to cleanse your palate with other varieties of jaks...too much of one kind will burn you and your taste buds out  ;) :)
Meet you for a Jackfruit tasting at Excalibur??

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »
Hi,

Here's the Famous Koala canned Jacks ;D

I dumped the jacks in a colander...till there no more trace of that nasty syrup on them jacks. I put the jacks in the fridge and was serve cold.
It was good :) Next time, never again eating canned jacks without straining the syrup.

ps...it was an excellent snack while I was watching ''A Man Named Pearl''  8)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
Steven, those looks pretty good for canned. I have one can left...saving it since its my last one,lol...

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 03:18:22 PM »
Steven, those looks pretty good for canned. I have one can left...saving it since its my last one,lol...

Hi Nancy,
It was the last one on the shelf too ;D ;D ;D I striked whilst the iron was hot. they fly pretty fast you know ;) ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk