Author Topic: What Mangos am I MISSING?  (Read 4768 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
What Mangos am I MISSING?
« on: May 25, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »
I am looking for high productivity mango trees with good disease resistance (plant and forget type trees) that taste good and are fiberless.

My in-ground collection of mango trees include:

Carrie
Coconut Cream
Glenn
Keitt (for late season purposes)
Lemon Zest
Mahachanok
Nam Doc Mai
Pina colada
Pineapple Pleasure
Pickering
Sunrise
Sweet Tart

Many of the trees are the new Zill's varieties, which I have little knowledge of, but I am optimistic.  Recommendations for one or two more?

In about ten years I may regret planting this many mango trees.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: What Mangos am I MISSING?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »
Can't exactly factor in the recent Zill introductions as they are new plantings at my house.  Off the bat, I think I would go with more later cultivars as you seem to be loaded with earlies.  In the running for me would be Neelam, Valencia Pride, Beverly and/or Kent.  If I was going to add anything to your early selections it would be Angie or maybe a Southern Blush or Spirit of 76. That should pretty much complete your collection.  Happy selecting!

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 11:35:44 AM »
I am looking for high productivity mango trees with good disease resistance (plant and forget type trees) that taste good and are fiberless.

My in-ground collection of mango trees include:

Carrie
coconut cream
Glenn
Keitt (for late season purposes)
Lemon Zest
mahachanok
Nam Doc Mai
Pina colada
Pineapple Pleasure
Pickering
Sunrise
Sweet Tart

Many of the trees are the new Zill's varieties, which I have little knowledge of, but I am optimistic.  Recommendations for one or two more?

In about ten years I may regret planting this many mango trees.

I would get Rosigold and Neelam. Rosi for early and Neelam for another late mango. You have enough mangoes in my opinion. Instead make the ones you have grow faster and better with an intense fertilization program like this guy did http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg1222445314042.html?38.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 11:43:42 AM »
Agree that Rosigold is a nice, early (most early) mango.  It is not, repeat not, a plant it and forget it mango.  Without copper spraying, your crops, if they are anything like mine, will be non-existant........but definitley early.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »
I do not have experience with many of those varieties, but I can tell you that the Keitt is very trouble free, heavy producer, and decent tasting.  the only thing Keitt suffers from is its sprawling growth habit. so will require some pruning.

Not really a late season mango the Valencia pride, taste great, and is a very vigorous tree. in our tree in Florida has never been pruned, never fertilized, and never fumigated, and yet its a monster. Id say maybe 25-30 ft tall, and was just 6ft tall when hurricane Wilma hit in 2005. it tipped over and i used a stick to prop it up, I didn't think it would survive. but this year for the first time I didn't  get any flowering. If you have the room, why not add a VP also.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 12:14:22 PM »
Florigon, Beverly and Cogshall would be nice additions I think. Valencia Pride, Palmer and Kent are 2 other good choices.

And since you have the space, you should plant a Dot! It will probably not produce as well as the aformentioned but it will produce better than some of the ones you have already planted. I'll also echo the Spirit of 76 recommendation.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 01:31:51 PM »
Some I recommend:

-Edward
-Cushman
-Shwethinta
-Dot
-Neelam
Adiel

LarryG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 02:15:32 PM »
The first mango I would add to your list is Bailey's Marvel, second would be Dot, third would be Southern Blush (if you don't mind a little fiber). If you have enough room and prefer quality over quantity, I would add Edward and Cushman.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 02:35:40 PM »
Agree that Rosigold is a nice, early (most early) mango.  It is not, repeat not, a plant it and forget it mango.  Without copper spraying, your crops, if they are anything like mine, will be non-existant........but definitley early.

I am out of room otherwise I would plant Rosigold and would keep an eye on it as you say

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »
Dot isn't carefree, but is wonderful.

Another older variety which has gotten good reviews on the forum is Duncan.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 03:54:13 PM »
Ohh boy. You can get yourself into some trouble with a question like that :-). There are more excellent tasting mango cultivars than one family can possibly eat in one mango season.. and new ones are introduced every year.
Jeff  :-)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 06:43:03 PM »
Many excellent suggestions to research.  Thanks.  Harry brings up a good point about having more late season mangos.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 08:22:02 PM »
I would definite;y get a Duncan, and would highly recommend the following: Pim Seng Mun, Mallika, Neelam, bram kai meu, Dot, Edward (shy bearer but very good fruit), Harvest Moon.  There are also some Vietnamese varieties that are supposed to be excellent.
- Rob

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 08:28:06 PM »
Your missing in my opinion the best tasting Florida Mango, "Edward."