Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 212625 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango and/or Avocado 24/7
« Reply #250 on: July 22, 2013, 12:53:08 AM »
'ACCT' ('Avocado Cultivars Cocktail Tree'): As explained previously, this is an avocado tree with different avocado varieties grafted onto it. The idea is to have about two 'ACCT's' in the yard, which would then produce avocados year round. Having only about two 'ACCTs,' would then free more space to plant other trees in the yard, or at least that's the idea. This is one of the goals of this thread, to have avocados year round (24/7) in the home yard.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:06:50 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 22, 2013, 05:51:46 AM »
'ACT' ('Avocado Cocktail Tree'): As explained previously, this is an avocado tree with different avocado varieties grafted onto it. The idea is to have about two 'ACT's' in the yard, which would then produce avocados year round. Having only about two 'ACTs,' would then free more space to plant other trees in the yard, or at least that's the idea. This is one of the goals of this thread, to have avocados year round (24/7) in the home yard.
Ok now i get it! Sorry my friend, i'm very inexperiente... but that's a fabulous idea! I love to get it here... but it's impossible for shure!

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 23, 2013, 01:05:04 AM »
The 'South Florida - Winter Avocado Void' ('SFL-WAV') has been completly Filled-In/Solved.
NOTE: This is only true if the specified ripening months given below are true.
Preferably, this needs to be verified and confirmed by Forum members.

This '...List' depicts the ripening months for quality avocado cultivars according to P.I's. (Pine-Island-Nursery's) webpage, and Top-Tropicals-Nursery's webpage.
Pine Island gives all these avocado cultivars the highest quality rating of 5 stars, except for Lula and Doni, they are each given 4 stars. 
The avocado cultivars in bold are the ones that I have.

The quality, 'South Florida - Avocado Cultivars Cocktail Tree - List' ('SFL-ACCT-List'):

1 Janurary: Monroe (per: P.I.)
2 February: Lula (per: 'LEOOEL')
3 March: Yamagata (per: Top-Tropicals-Nursery in Florida)
4 April: Yamagata (per: Top-Tropicals-Nursery in Florida)
5 May: Doni (per: P.I. NOTE: 'CTMIAMI' has said that Doni actually begins to ripen in June)
6 June: Doni(per: P.I. and 'CTMIAMI'), Simmonds (per P.I.)      
7 July: Catalina (per: 'LEOOEL': July 19), Simmonds (per P.I.)
8 August: Catalina (per: P.I.), Simmonds (per: P.I.), Miguel (per: P.I.- Preferred over Catalina)
9 September: Catalina (per: P.I.), Bacon (per: P.I.), Miguel (per: P.I. - Preferred over Catalina)
10 October: Hass (per: P.I.), Bacon (per: P.I.)      
11 November: Hass (per: P.I.), Oro-Negro (per: P.I.)
12 December: Monroe (per: P.I.), Oro-Negro (per: P.I.)

P.S.   

The 'Lula' avocado cultivar also ripens in December and January, it just keeps holding the fruit well into February.
As mentioned previously, I picked the last avocado fruit from a Lula tree in early March of this year.

NOTE: If 'Yamagata' does not fill in the months of March and April, as claimed by Top-Tropicals Nursery (of Florida), then we're hoping and keeping our fingers crossed, that at least one (or more) of the following avocados cultivars, will fill in the months of March and April (and if needed, the month of May):
Sharwil, Fujikawa and Jan-Boyce.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:40:41 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #253 on: July 23, 2013, 01:07:01 AM »
Are any of you growing the Gainesville avocado?

Thanks,

Ed
Georgetown, Tx

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 23, 2013, 07:25:05 AM »

Green Thumb, you're absolutly right, the success that we've had, and God willing, that we will continue to have, could not have been possible without the contributions of Forum members and avocado experts such as Carlos, they have been and are essential to successfully filling the 'SFL-WAV.' I'm very optimistic that we'll successfully achieve our goal, but much work still needs to be done to fill the months of March, April and May, in the 'SFL-WAV,' and a little bit of luck wouldn't hurt either (it usually comes with hard work).
On a separate note, I read the article by Dr. Sauls that you posted. Although the Wilma avocado is trademarked, it's interesting that "it has demonstrated good cold hardiness," which makes me wonder about how appropriate it would be to fill the 'SFL-WAV.' Thank you for the article, very informative.
P.S. Your kind words of encouragement are very much appreciated, thank you.

:) You are welcome! Keep up the Good work. I'm not an expert, so all this info you're putting up is helping me too..:)

Wilma, and Opal are Trade Marked by Devine Avocados, owned by Bill Schneider, that Mark mentioned. He has done some great work on Avocado growing in Texas.

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 23, 2013, 07:43:59 AM »

Dr. Sauls was a little pithy but brilliant. Same with Jim Kamas from that article.  He is assigned to my county, is also brilliant, does incredible fast moving workshops and was the Pierce's Disease head honcho hear the research station before the State pulled the funds.  Here we are one the fastest growing, biggest grape and winery industries in the country, and the frickin' State pulls the funds!  Another one of those "go figure".

The publication I referenced is "Fruit Quality Evaluations of Avocado Cultivars for Subtropical Texas", Weslaco, 1991.  I gave The Avocado Man (Bill Schneider of Devine) a copy of it.

Mark

A lot of hard work falls on the way side due to lack of funding. It's a shame.   ::)
Yeah I've been reading all about the Wines from central Texas. Olive trees/oil is another one that shows great promise for the state of Texas.

Great publication Mark. It has some great information. Thanks.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 23, 2013, 07:47:09 AM »

Dr. Sauls was a little pithy but brilliant. Same with Jim Kamas from that article.  He is assigned to my county, is also brilliant, does incredible fast moving workshops and was the Pierce's Disease head honcho hear the research station before the State pulled the funds.  Here we are one the fastest growing, biggest grape and winery industries in the country, and the frickin' State pulls the funds!  Another one of those "go figure".

The publication I referenced is "Fruit Quality Evaluations of Avocado Cultivars for Subtropical Texas", Weslaco, 1991.  I gave The Avocado Man (Bill Schneider of Devine) a copy of it.

Mark

A lot of hard work falls on the way side due to lack of funding. It's a shame.   ::)
Yeah I've been reading all about the Wines from central Texas. Olive trees/oil is another one that shows great promise for the state of Texas.

I have 27 olive trees to make olive oil of lentrisca var.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 23, 2013, 08:57:49 AM »

Mark

You're welcome.  Texas is headed down the road to be a big olive producer.   New one under quarantine at Novavine is tough as nails and bullet proof is a  6.000 year old wood from Lebanon.  Legend is that it was put aboard Noah's Ark and saved.  Had a workshop on it in Fredericksburg - http://www.cornersoftime.com/fredericksburg-rsvp-invite-packet/

"Our goal is to introduce our guests to the BELADI name and the statement of quality it made
us naturally adopt on our award-winning olive oils: “This olive oil is made with the BELADI olives
which are still being gifted to the world from the 6,000-year old Mother trees, 16 of which can still be
admired in the village of Bechealeh, Lebanon.”

Central Texas is finally making world class wines (including me :) )  Shameless plug - I've got Mouvedre and Grenache for sale and not yet claimed, will be a week or so for a brix of around 24.  Netted and in excellent shape.   PM me if interested. 

Mark 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:01:45 AM by Mark in Texas »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 23, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »
We've got people experimenting with olives in central FL also since citrus has become increasingly difficult to grow.  I'd love to see acres and acres of olive trees on the hills of central FL where citrus used to grow!
John

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 23, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
We've got people experimenting with olives in central FL also since citrus has become increasingly difficult to grow.  I'd love to see acres and acres of olive trees on the hills of central FL where citrus used to grow!
why citrus are difficult to grow? Olive trees are so beautifull, in my region we are sorrownded of them!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2013, 11:27:51 AM »
why citrus are difficult to grow? Olive trees are so beautifull, in my region we are sorrownded of them!

Florida has been hit by one citrus disease after another, and it's become devastating to the industry.  Olive trees are beautiful--much better than bare hillsides!
John

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 23, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »

Olive trees grow most anywhere.  Getting them to fruit is the key....they need some chill hours every winter.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 23, 2013, 03:13:23 PM »

Olive trees grow most anywhere.  Getting them to fruit is the key....they need some chill hours every winter.
you don't have cold winters? Maby to trying more mild temp var....

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2013, 10:42:35 PM »
Leo the Dupuis avocado is excellent if not the best early cultivar in So Florida. It gets a bump rap because it is not very prolific but taste wise one of my favorites.  It also has a peculiarity that the last fruit set stays small 8-12oz and stays in the tree a long time and get better and better.
By the way the California avocado from Cuban007 was a Hass not a Fuerte. Excellent quality. I still have a couple. I don't understand why Public, Windxie BJ etc.  can not sell California Hass much better than the Mexican, Peruvian and Chiliean Hass.

Carlos, I went to a friends house last week looking for Yamagata and ended up with a bag of late Fuertes and Hass....Here I said Fuerte were nowhere to be found in our area during the summer. Ooppps :P these Fuertes are extremely late and not as good as the ones we ate during the winters.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
'ACT' ('Avocado Cocktail Tree'): As explained previously, this is an avocado tree with different avocado varieties grafted onto it. The idea is to have about two 'ACT's' in the yard, which would then produce avocados year round. Having only about two 'ACTs,' would then free more space to plant other trees in the yard, or at least that's the idea. This is one of the goals of this thread, to have avocados year round (24/7) in the home yard.
Ok now i get it! Sorry my friend, i'm very inexperiente... but that's a fabulous idea! I love to get it here... but it's impossible for shure!

Luisport and Greenthumb, I'm also inexperienced, yet that doesn't stop me from loving to grow avocado trees and fruit, and it isn't that hard to do. So, don't let it stop you either.
I am amazed/impressed at the avocado knowledge that Forum members like Carlos, Nullzero, Zands, Fruitlovers, Mark in Texas, JF and others have, when they talk about sophisticated methods for fertilizing avocados and the like. I respect them very much for that. But, I just like to give the sufficient/minimum amoutn of care so that the avocado tree thrives.
I just give my avocado trees the appropriate amount of water and fertilizer, and that's about it. I also never, never, plant two avocado trees beside each other. I do this is so that if one tree gets a pathogen, it won't easily transfer it to the other.

I'm glad to hear that you think avocado cocktail trees are a good idea for someone who has limited space, but wants avocados year round (24/7), and I agree with you. But, first we must somehow confirm that the 'SFL-WAV' is solved. The only way to decisively do that, is to plant the specific avocado cultivar(s) here in S. Florida, USA, and take it from there.

If you want to do something similar where you are at in Portugal, don't give up hope. There are different ways to go about having avocados year round. And new ways are also coming.
For example, big advances are being made in genomic/genetic/bio engineering, super-computers and AI (Artificial-Intelligence). Before we know it, they'll have the capability to create avocado cultivars for specific months of the year, Temperature Zones and locations. We're pioneers, and it's very exciting that there are so many doors/choices opening and available to pursue. It's a brand new world, and the Internet ties it all together. Thanks for sharing and your kind words.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:55:01 AM by LEOOEL »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 26, 2013, 01:56:59 AM »
Is anyone getting ripe fruit from these avocado cultivars in Florida? If so, during what months of the year?

pics of different varieties by month

This is how they do it in South California. There, they have avocados year round (24/7).

Avocado cultivars ripen in different months of the year at different locations . In order to also have avocados year round (24/7) in South Florida, more information is needed on whether any of the above avocado cultivars will have ripe fruit during the 'SFL-WAV' months of March, April and May. Any and all information that Forum Members can give will be a big help in quickly achieving one of our main goals, "...Avocado 24/7," in South Florida.

P.S.  Thanks to everyone for the continued help/collaboration in this endeavor that's coming from many Forum Members all over the place and especially the great state of Texas. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=369.msg4406#msg4406
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 02:28:01 AM by LEOOEL »

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 26, 2013, 09:00:21 AM »
California's climate is so varied that it is really impossible to say with certainty that an avocado variety will ripen on a specific month.  For example, the Hass variety that ripens in March in the southern part of the state, is just now ripening here (August) in San Luis Obispo County (which is a commercial avocado growing area).  We are just 60 miles north from Santa Barbara and climate dictates a much later ripening time. That is true for most avocados and subtropical fruits.  I suspect that avocado growers further north in the Bay area experience even later ripening time.  Fortunately, with transportation, Hass is available almost year 'round.  Then, with Leaven's Hass, Lamb Hass, Carmen Hass and a few other Hass-like avocados, these fruits are in the markets all year.

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 26, 2013, 10:49:22 AM »
Are any of you growing the Gainesville avocado?

Thanks,

Ed
Georgetown, Tx

Ed, I've been looking for that pear also. Let me know if you have any luck finding one.

Joe.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 26, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »
Jack, Nipomo, I agree with you that location can and does have a big impact on what time/month of the year an avocado cultivar will ripen.
My yard is in Zone 10b. I wouldn't be surprised if different avocado cultivars would be needed, to have avocados year round (24/7), in: Zone-9a, Zone-9b,  Zone-10, Zone-10a, Zone-10b...
All this makes it that much more imperative (and exciting and fun), to determine which avocado cultivars are needed, in different locations, in order to have avocados year round (24/7).

Although it's good to have avocados in the market year round (24/7), I'm sure Forum Members agree that it's much better, if year round (24/7) avocados came from the home yard.
I happen to find it very fulfilling, that the fruit that I eat from my yard is free of pesticides.

In JF's quote (also below), he mentions that with just three avocado cultivars, he has the whole year covered with ripe avocados; to my understanding of the meaning.
If JF had those three avocado cultivars in an 'Avocado Cultivars Cocktail Tree' ('ACCT'), then he would have more space left to plant two more fruit trees, or two more 'ACCTs,' or ...
The bottom line seems to be, that avocado growers at different locations, who want to save yard space by having an 'ACCT(s)' that bears ripe fruit year round (24/7), will most likely each need an 'ACCT' made up of different cultivars for their specific location.

California's climate is so varied that it is really impossible to say with certainty that an avocado variety will ripen on a specific month.  For example, the Hass variety that ripens in March in the southern part of the state, is just now ripening here (August) in San Luis Obispo County (which is a commercial avocado growing area).  We are just 60 miles north from Santa Barbara and climate dictates a much later ripening time. That is true for most avocados and subtropical fruits.  I suspect that avocado growers further north in the Bay area experience even later ripening time.  Fortunately, with transportation, Hass is available almost year 'round.  Then, with Leaven's Hass, Lamb Hass, Carmen Hass and a few other Hass-like avocados, these fruits are in the markets all year.

Eventually I will have a plot of land big enough to plant out all those varieties :P. Fresh avocados all year round :).

Nullzy

A lot of those avocados overlap. I have pinkerton, Hass and Shawill, these will cover the entire year. I also have two later ones, Holiday and Reed,  because of their superior quality.

JF

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:28:28 PM by LEOOEL »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2013, 12:29:27 AM »
Carlos, can you please tell me if you know whether 'Wurtz' avocado cultivar ripens in May, in South Florida?

Also, I called Top Tropicals to get confirmation on 'Yamagata' ripening in March and April in S. Florida. But, although they were very nice, all I got was that there's a guy that they got it from, and his fruit ripen in March and April. They told me that they couldn't give me his address. But then, they couldn't even confirm if this guy and his trees, are even in Florida! If I can't get confirmation, I'll remove it from the confirmation '...List,' until we know for sure.

A new avocado cultivar is added to the '...List:' Wurtz avocado cultivar

Avocado Wurtz, Dwarf
Avocado Wurtz is dwarf hybrid. It is very compact and slow growing, reaching only about 10-15 feet at maturity. Great for dooryard or container growing.
The tree can handle temperatures to 25(F) degrees. Fruit is thin-skinned, 10-12 oz. The seed is small and fruit skin is smooth.
Fruits ripen green from May to September. The flavor is very good. Production is good and it is a consistent bearer.
Top Tropicals

The updated 'South Florida: Avocado-Cultivars-Cocktail-Tree & Winter-Avocado-Void List' ('SFL: ACCT & WAV List'):

1 Janurary: Monroe
2 February: Lula
3 March: Yamagata? 
4 April: Yamagata?
5 May: Wurtz?
6 June: Doni, Simmonds     
7 July: Catalina, Simmonds
8 August: Catalina, Simmonds, Miguel
9 September: Catalina, Bacon, Miguel
10 October: Hass, Bacon     
11 November: Hass, Oro-Negro
12 December: Monroe, Oro-Negro

We're in the process of confirming that at least one (or more) of the following avocado cultivars, will fill in the months of March, April and May:
Sharwil, Fujikawa, Yamagata, Wurtz and Jan-Boyce.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:12:28 AM by LEOOEL »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »
Leeoel, hate to slam a vendor, but if the shoe fits.......  Be careful with Top.  I'd certainly not order from them again based on my losses and issues others have reported.

I hear too many reports about Wurtz being only mediocre regarding fruit quality.  I talked to Julie Frink and she pulled it from her yard.  But then again if you're spoiled and are able to have the best, why bother with mediocre fruit?  Worth a try in Florida perhaps.  Might turn out to be a winner there.

Good luck ~
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 02:34:48 PM by Mark in Texas »

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 30, 2013, 10:11:24 AM »

[/quote]

I have one Arbequina planted 2 years ago, slow growth, only 4 foot tall. (It was a couple of feet when I got it). I saw one big tree at ECHO farm in Fort Myers where I got my Nam Doc Mai. I bought my Arbequina from California, it came with few fruits in it.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 30, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »
WURTZ   (Guat.) Regist.1940 Orig.1935 at place of Roy E. Wurtz, Encinitas, CA. Fruit; season, May-Sept.;color, green;weight, 8-10 oz.; shape, pyriform. (CAS Yearbook 1950) Orig. Encinitas, CA, by Roy Wurtz. Introd.1948. Chance seedling planted about 1935;selected about 1940. Fruit: Mex.-Guat. hybrid type; quality good; skin green, med.thick;long oval; size 7-10 oz.Tree:production fair to good; distinctive weeping growth habit, with dense cover of leaves & sm. limbs. (B&O Register) Easily available for the home garden through nurseries. Also called Littlecado or Minicado or Dwarf Hybrid depending on propagating nursery.(J.R. Frink 2000) Origin, CA; Race GxM; Flower group, A (Lahav & Gazit) (originated in 1935 at Encinitas, CA; cultivated in Queensland for only the past12 or13 yrs.);pear shaped,sm.-med.;8-12oz(226-240g); seed lg. Season:May-Sept. in CA;late in Queensland. Tree is small&slow-growing, bears moderately but regularly. More than 100 trees may be planted per acre (240 per ha). (J.Morton 1987)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 30, 2013, 01:04:06 PM »
Leeoel, hate to slam a vendor, but if the shoe fits.......  Be careful with Top.  I'd certainly not order from them again based on my losses and issues others have reported had.

I hear too many reports about Wurtz being only mediocre regarding fruit quality.  I talked to Julie Franks and she pulled it from her yard.  But then again if you're spoiled and are able to have the best, why bother with mediocre fruit?  Worth a try in Florida perhaps.  Might turn out to be a winner there.

Good luck ~

Agree....not a great avocado but better than Bacon. I think it was Rob who said that he had a Little Cado or he knew of someone who grew it in Florida.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2013, 12:21:55 AM »
Mark in Texas, thanks for the notice about Top. Also, it seems that your hunch may be correct, Wurtz may do better in S. Florida than in California, or even be a winner.
If Top-Tropicals were to be correct about Wurtz avocado ripening May-September, does that mean that they're probably right about Yamagata avocado ripening March-April?
Very interesting!

JF, you thought right.
Check out these quotes by bradflorida and none other than Murahilin and bsbullie:

Wurtz (Little Cado) Avocado - anyone in Florida having luck?
Posted by bradflorida none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 16:29
I picked up (impulsively) a Wurtz avocado tree today.
Upon returning home, I couldn't find any references to people from Florida having one of these trees produce fruit.
Anyone have any experience with this variety in Florida?
Or will I just have to use this tree (type A) as a cross pollinator to my type B tree?
Brad

RE: Wurtz (Little Cado) Avocado - anyone in Florida having luck?
•   Posted by murahilin 10 fl (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 17:09
I've seen tons of wurtz trees here in South Florida fruiting really well. I don't know what part of FL you're in but it should do fine.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3519.25

bsbullie
o   USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a   
Re: What's up With Wurtz (avocado) ?
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:41:44 PM »
While I know some have bad things to say about Wurtz, I find it is an excellent avocado, taste and texture-wise. It is also a somewhat smaller tree with decent cold hardiness. The drawback I see is that the fruit are on the smaller side and the flesh to seed ratio is lower than some....that ok, cause the quality makes up for it. I would definitely give this one a try.
- Rob

bsbullie
o   USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 06:22:58 AM »
I am going to repost this from the Oro Negro thread. As we are getting many comments from people in states/Countries other than Florida:
"Ok, Cali vs Fla...whether avocados or mangoes (or anything else), it is not only not fair but difficult at best to compare the fruit grown between the two states. The conditions, from climate, environmental and physical, are just far too different to make fair, equal comparisons. Growth habits, fruiting times, fruit size, fruit shape, fruit color, etc. will all most likely be different...oh, and most of all, I would expect fruit taste and probably texture to be different as well (from posts about avocados and mangoes grown in both states just goes to back this statement up)."
My comment earlier in this thread are based on multiple trees grown in Palm Beach County, Florida, which would be a similar climate, while a little warmer, to Adam's climate in Central Florida.

Jack, Nipomo, it seems that Wurtz does well in S. Florida, and that it's being grown quite extensively. The only thing I need to confirm now, is the period of maturity.
Your quote and Top-Tropicals coincide in that the fruit ripens May-September. Perhaps the period of maturity of the Wurtz can be confirmed by Bradflorida, or Murahilin, or bsbullie.

Also, while I was looking for info on the Wurtz avocado, I found the following about the Reed avocado. Of which, ofdsurfer makes a valid question:
ofdsurfer
o   Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A    
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »
Uf says reed produces from December to March in FL. That would be the latest variety that I have heard of if that's accurate. I wonder why it's not more popular.

Now I'm also asking myself that same question. Why is Reed avocado not more popular than, say, Monroe, in S. Florida?
This is what the University of Florida (UF) said in a document, last updated in 2007:
According to UF
Donnie, matures  May 21-June 31 (Season of maturity does not correspond with legal maturity; Carlos is right! It ripens in June), resistant to scab, production is Moderate
Lula, matures Oct. 1 – Feb. 15, susceptible to scab, production is High
Monroe, matures Dec 1 – Feb. 15, mildly-susceptible to scab, production is High
Reed, matures Dec. 14 – March 7, resistant to scab, production is High
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:52:53 AM by LEOOEL »