Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211730 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango and/or Avocado 24/7
« Reply #350 on: August 22, 2013, 11:47:13 AM »
Balerdi's observations are well taken and accurate and I try to follow them as much as possible in making selections.....

Huh?  Well......cut me off and call me 'Shorty' cause I mistook you for the good doctor.  Carlos, you're not Dr. Carlos Balerdi that retired from the U. of Fl.?

Regards,
Mark

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 22, 2013, 05:06:44 PM »
No I'm not Balerdi PhD????
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 23, 2013, 01:47:35 AM »
My little baby osteen mangoes are falling... this is normal? They look healthy. Well this tree is on grownd only sinse may...
If first time fruiting then is normal
Mike

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 23, 2013, 04:44:03 AM »
My little baby osteen mangoes are falling... this is normal? They look healthy. Well this tree is on grownd only sinse may...
If first time fruiting then is normal
Thank you so much! :)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 27, 2013, 12:57:55 AM »
Watch –List” Review: A cultivar by cultivar review from the point of view of whether these avocado varieties (most of them expertly chosen by CTMIAMI) are being grown (field tested) in South Florida, USA, and to ultimately determine whether they’ll fill the ‘S.Florida-Winter Avocado Void’ (‘S.FL-WAV’) months of March, April and May. (Underlined cultivars need to be field tested in S.Florida)

This 'Group 1' is this thread's original 'S.FL-WAV' cultivar Group (it was put together with the help of CTMIAMI, others and myself). The others, 'Groups 2-5,' were expertly added by CTMIAMI.

Group 1: 'Sharwil,' 'Fujikawa,' 'Utuado,' 'Jan-Boyce,' ‘Reed,’ ‘Green-Gold,’ ‘Linda,’ 'Fuerte' and 'Wurtz.'

'Sharwil:’ Escellent variety in Australia, Hawaii, and California. As stated previously on this thread, this quality, versatile cultivar, with high potential for S. Florida, USA, I’m glad to report that it’s currently being grown by a S. Florida ‘Forum Member.’ And, it’s also on its way to being grown by another ‘Forum Member,’ (if not already done so).  So, two S. Florida ‘Forum Members’ are growing the ‘Sharwil’ avocado, now it’s only a matter of time before we learn about what time of the year its fruit matures/ripens.

'Fujikawa:' Members of this Forum (Hawaii...) have informed on the special quality of this cultivar. As of now, it seems only one Forum Member is field testing several trees in Fort Myers, Florida, USA, but none in S. Florida (as far as it's known by this thread). I'd like to say that I consider it of high importance, that the wonderful 'Fujikawa' avocado cultivar be field tested in S. FL as early as possible.

'Utuado:' 'Forum Member' CTMIAMI has it and it's under observation. So far, it has already produced fruit. It seems to be productive and more disease resistant than 'Monroe' avocado. If flowers after 'Monroe,' so it may hold fruit longer than 'Monroe.' It's also being grown in Williams Grove, Miami, FL, USA.' It seems that we're very close to knowing the exact quality/behavior of this avocado fruit/tree.

'Jan-Boyce:' 'CTMIAMI' and 'LEOOEL' have it. My potted tree, prepared and grafted by CTMIAMI (thank you), is growing quickly. 'CTMIAMI's' tree is more established. The 'Jan-Boyce' has a reputation of being a top quality cultivar in California, with the added bonus of a very small seed. - No fruit production yet, as trees are still adolescents.

'Reed:' A 'Forum Member' is growing a seedling of the 'Reed' avocado in S. Florida, as mentioned earlier in this thread. According Pine Island Nursery's webpage, "'REED' was another patented California variety introduced to Florida in hopes of being a late season success. Low production kept it out of the limelight." I feel like saying, you lost me at "Low production." Since this variety is in the same late season time of the year as Lula and Choquette, it's probably a good idea to grow it instead from seed, as the mentioned 'Forum Member' is doing, with the goal being to produce a 'Reed' like avocado, with high fruit production. Then again, the University of Florida (UF) said in a document, last updated in 2007: "According to UF (University of Florida) 'Reed,' matures Dec. 14 – March 7, resistant to scab, production is High," so go figure.

'Green-Gold:' It seems that CTMIAMI is the only forum member growing 'Green-Gold.' This variety is very similar quality to Sharwil, just slightly different seasons but with big overlap. It would be great to get the report/details from CTMIAMI on this variety, once it starts producing fruit.

'Linda:' It seems that 'Linda' has a reputation for being a top quality avocado in Hawaii. The Forum's Murahilin, has mentioned that it's available from the USDA.
This thread is not aware of anyone growing this variety in S.Florida. It would be helpful if someone were 'field testing' it in S.Florida, with the goal of learning the statistics of its behavior here.

'Fuerte:' CTMIAMI is the only Forum Member growing this cultivar (...that this thread knows). This is an excellent quality avocado in California and is highly recommended, by Forum Members in California, for South Florida.

'Wurtz:' Top Tropicals Nursery (in Florida) says that this variety matures May through September, if this is so, it may fill one of the 'SFL-WAV' months. This needs to be verified by field testing it in South Florida. It's been reported that the fruit maturity season is May-Sept. in CA. It has small fruit, flesh to seed ratio is lower than some, and it's a small tree. The tree reportedly grows to a height of 10 to 12 feet.. Murahilin has reported that he's "seen tons of wurtz trees here in South Florida fruiting really well." Rob has said that it's "an excellent avocado, taste and texture-wise. It is also a somewhat smaller tree with decent cold hardiness. The drawback I see is that the fruit are on the smaller side and the flesh to seed ratio is lower than some....that's ok, cause the quality makes up for it. I would definitely give this one a try." And that his "comment(s) earlier in (another) thread are based on multiple trees grown in Palm Beach County." 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:22:33 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 08, 2013, 01:48:11 AM »
“Watch –List”: A cultivar by cultivar review from the point of view of whether these avocado varieties are being grown (field tested) in South Florida, USA.
And, to ultimately verify whether they’ll fill the ‘S.Florida-Winter Avocado Void’ (‘SFL-WAV’) months of March, April and May (Underlined cultivars may be good candidates for field testing).

Group 1: 'Sharwil,' 'Fujikawa,' 'Utuado,' 'Jan-Boyce,' ‘Reed,’ ‘Green-Gold,’ ‘Linda,’ 'Fuerte' and 'Wurtz.'
Group 2: ‘Winter-Mexican’ and ‘Winter-Mexican-Seedling.’

‘Winter-Mexican:’
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:58:45 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 08, 2013, 09:20:13 AM »
Leo I have a small Linda tree and hopefuly will top work a tree in winter.
The issue  of poor production is relative, like the Dupuis, For non commecial purposes I rather have 50 avocados that I like than 150 I would not enjoy.
I recently tasted a Reed it was excelent, good flavor, small seed, little oxidation after 24 hrs in refrigerator.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:39:38 AM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 08, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
I try a Haden mango for first time some days ago, and like it a lot. It's very sweet and some fiber. So i think to germinate this mango to have it. I remove the hard exterior seed and involve the almond in wet paper, and put it in a seeled plastic bag in dark. In two days it's sprouting! The pic is here:

My Haden mango seed growing...

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 08, 2013, 07:26:30 PM »
Carlos, that is great news that you have the 'Linda' avocado and are propagating it by top working a tree. I'm going to update the 'Watch List,' since we now know that you are field testing this variety. Suffice it to say that no one in South Florida is doing near as much as you are doing for the avocado fruit, many thanks.

Luisport, that is a very nice time lapse sequence of photos of your growing 'Haden' mango seedling. I looks very healthy.
I'm curious, do you know what are the months of the year where avocados and mangoes are plentiful in Portugal, and which are the months where there is an avocado and mango 'Void?'

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 08, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »
“Watch –List”: A cultivar by cultivar review from the point of view of whether these avocado varieties are being grown (field tested) in South Florida, USA.
And, to ultimately verify whether they’ll fill the ‘S.Florida-Winter Avocado Void’ (‘SFL-WAV’) months of the year of March, April and May.
Underlined cultivars are recommended for field testing, those that are not underlined are already being grown by 'Forum Members'.

Group 2: Winter-Mexican’ and ‘Winter-Mexican-Seedling (CTMIAMI).

Winter-Mexican:’ CTMIAMI has mentioned that this tree is coming in this year to be field tested. It is not known whether it has already arrived. ECHO Nursery in Florida has mentioned that the fruit will mature from February to April. ECHO Nursery also contradicts itself by also memtioning that the fruit matures in October to December.  Of course, the only way to verify the actual date of maturity would be to test/grow it in the field in South Florida.

'Mexican Seedling (CTMIAMI):' As the name implies, this is a seedling that CTMIAMI has also said is coming to him this year for field testing. This seedling and its parent (Winter Mexican) can be promising candidates to fill the 'SFL-WAV.'
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:19:26 AM by LEOOEL »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 08, 2013, 08:04:07 PM »
This week I'm also getting Sharwil bud wood.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 08, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »
My winter mexican in the field is fruiting I will look tomorrow. Do you want pictures of the fruit
Mike

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 08, 2013, 09:54:32 PM »
My winter mexican in the field is fruiting I will look tomorrow. Do you want pictures of the fruit

They will! Photos
Carlos and Leo are the dedicated avocado  growers and want to see what you got

So do I,  wanted a Florida Hass like yours nice dwarfing tree but since I could not find one so planted a California Hass a few months ago

We need some condo avocados same as Fairchild promoted bushy condo mangoes
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:24:48 AM by zands »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 08, 2013, 10:36:55 PM »
The Chokanon (miracle mango) of my MIL has big mango's now.

Does anybody else also have them? My own chokanon grafts have nothing but some of them had fruits 4 months ago which we picked.

My avocado is still alive but barely growing.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 09, 2013, 05:57:45 AM »
Carlos, that is great news that you have the 'Linda' avocado and are propagating it by top working a tree. I'm going to update the 'Watch List,' since we now know that you are field testing this variety. Suffice it to say that no one in South Florida is doing near as much as you are doing for the avocado fruit, many thanks.

Luisport, that is a very nice time lapse sequence of photos of your growing 'Haden' mango seedling. I looks very healthy.
I'm curious, do you know what are the months of the year where avocados and mangoes are plentiful in Portugal, and which are the months where there is an avocado and mango 'Void?'
Well regarding mangos we don't have them here... at least i don't know them here. The avocados are starting now...  another haden pic: 

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 09, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »
This is a winter mexican tree planted about 5 years and the fruit.

Mike

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 09, 2013, 07:43:56 PM »
Mike would you recall when the Winter Mexican Flowered? 
Winter Mexican looks a lot like the Daisy?
How you describe the flavor of Winter Mexican and when is it ready?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:11:37 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 10, 2013, 11:03:14 AM »
Ct
 Don't know when it flowerd.The skin on the winter mexican is more bumpey.The daisy is smooth. The flavor is more buttery then oily not the best but it takes the cold well. It is ready in oct and nov
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:12:09 PM by TREESNMORE »
Mike

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 10, 2013, 07:53:31 PM »
I actually want it as a pollinator. It is a B flower and it flowers early. I don't know how early. 
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 10, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »
 Carlos  Do you want budwood or a 3 gallon pot.
Mike

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 10, 2013, 11:57:52 PM »
Mike Thanks but I got a nice tree from Cookie Monster about a couple of month ago. It will produce budwood for me to graft a few trees by winter.
I would not mind to have the Daisy, looks very Mexican and probably flowers early.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 11, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »
CT
I can send you budwood how much do you want and when..Tell me what you want the budwood to look like. This is for daisy.
Mike

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 11, 2013, 11:12:42 PM »
This week I'm also getting Sharwil bud wood.
CTMIAMI, that is great news, about getting budwood this week, of this great variety 'Sharwil.' I hope everything goes well, thanks for letting us know.

TREESNMORE, great pictures, thanks. So, the 'Winter Mexican' matures October through November, that is quite late in the year. Maybe a seedling, or a combination of this variety with another one, will yield a new variety that’ll fill the ‘S.FL-WAV.’

Zands, thank you for all the support that you and others have given in the effort for 'filling' the ‘S.FL-WAV,’ which we all stand to benefit from, by having year round (24/7) avocados.

Bangkok, I also have the ‘Miracle’ mango, I like it very much and recommend it. About your slow growing young avocado tree, I’ve noticed that this is quite common, specially with grafted fruit trees. Then, after they become established, they pick up speed, just make sure that it’s getting all the nutrients, water and sun it needs.

Luisport, very exciting, sounds like you are the mango and avocado pioneer in your Portugal area, stay safe, best of luck, and I hope you get a lot of good quality avocado and mango fruit production.

This an update on the status of the 'Winter Avocado & Mango Void' ('WAM-Void') at my Temperature Zone 10b location in Miami, FL, USA. Notice that when the avocado season ends in February-March, and the mango season begins in early March, there is an overlap of both seasons in the month of March. Thus, having 'Mango OR Avocado 24/7', is a goal that has been accomplished.
'Mango Void'
As far as is known by this Thread, the goal of 'Mango 24/7' has not been accomplished.
The South Florida ‘Winter-Mango-Void’ at the Miami, Florida, Zone 10b location is: December through February, for a total of three long months without mangoes.
The mango season begins on the month of March with the ‘Rosigold’ mango variety.
The ‘Keitt’ mango variety produces the last mangos in November.
The season ends with the ‘Miracle’ (Chok-Anon) mango variety, which lasts from November to January, but the reliability of consistent production is to be determined.
'Avocado Void'
'Avocado 24/7' has been accomplished commercially. But, the new patented cultivar(s) are not yet available for propagation to the general public. This Threads' goal is to find a cultivar to fill this Void.
The South Florida ‘Winter-Avocado-Void’ (‘S.FL-WAV’) at the Miami, Zone 10b location is: March through May, for a total of three long months without avocados.
The avocado season begins with ‘Donnie’ in June.
The avocado season ends with the ‘Lula’ avocado producing the last fruits in the months of February. This year, I picked the last avocado fruit off a 'Lula' tree, on March 23, 2017!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:08:43 AM by LEOOEL »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 12, 2013, 06:46:38 AM »
Hi Leoonel, yes regarding mangos i think it's true, at least i don't know anyone with them here. But regarding avocados, there are a lot of them producing trought all country. you have this blog about avocados in Portugal: http://abacateportugal.blogspot.pt/

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 13, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »
“Watch–List”
A cultivar by cultivar review from the point of view of whether these avocado varieties are being grown (field tested) in South Florida, USA.
And, to ultimately verify whether they’ll fill the ‘S.Florida-Winter Avocado Void’ (‘SFL-WAV’) months of the year of March, April and May.
Underlined 'cultivars' are recommended for field testing, those that are not underlined are already being grown by 'Forum Members'.
Strikethrough 'cultivars' have been reported to mature outside the 'SFL-WAV.' They'll be kept for the record, on the "Watch-List.'

Group 2: ‘Winter-Mexican’ and ‘Winter-Mexican-Seedling (CTMIAMI).’
Group 3: ‘Don-Carlitos,’ ‘Vero-Beach’  and ‘Cellons’ Avocado.

'Don-Carlitos:' Amazingly, Forum Member CTMIAMI says that this variety’s fruit matures February – March “for sure.” This is inside the 'SFL-WAV' zone. CTMIAMI is in the process of verifying whether the bearing habit is alternate or consistent year after year, and also whether it behaves differently when irrigated/fertilized. CTMIAMI found it growing in a backyard (nice find!), and believes it’s a ‘Monroe’/’Lula’ Cross. It has a larger fruit and a smaller seed. If this variety is verified to be an alternate bearer, perhaps if it were crossed again with another appropriate variety, this could then produce the desired yearly consistent productive quality; more information on this variety can be obtained at CTMIAMI’s website:
http://www.myavocadotrees.com/don-carlitos-avocado.html

'Vero Beach:' CTMIAMI intends to get bud wood of this variety in the month of December of this year (2013). I was able to get some more information for this variety from a search of CTMIAMI's website: "small ..." "(CAS Yearbook 1950) Origin: Florida, Race: W.I.,Flowering group: A (Lahav & Gazit) BALBOA (Hybrid) Tree originated on Balboa Island, Newport Beach, CA. Ovate fruit, 7-27 oz. Black skin is smooth, pit; very small to large, light yellow blended to light green ..."

'Cellons:' The only information available is that provided by CTMIAMI, who expects to obtain budwood of this variety in December of this year, 2013, in order to propagate.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:17:47 AM by LEOOEL »