Author Topic: Fresh Durian in South Florida (with Video)  (Read 15692 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh Durian in South Florida (with Video)
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 04:16:46 PM »
Sorry Berto I jumped the gun there but I do think it is possible to grow them in the warm parts of Floridas climate with selection of the most suitable existing types.Mangosteen would be tougher but they have surprising diversity indicating the original hybridising even was repeated several times.The mangosteen lines in NE Thailand (eg chantharak) would be worth a shot.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »

This is my red prawn 2 years after snapping off in a cyclone.It is one of the most cold tolerant.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 11:26:45 PM »
This may be a silly question... but would the seeds from a frozen durian still be viable?
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 11:40:05 PM »
This may be a silly question... but would the seeds from a frozen durian still be viable?
If you are talking about the durian purchased at local Asian markets...besides being frozen I would put my money on them having been irradiated.  The other problem, the chances of successfully growing, let alone fruiting, durian in your area is slim (and that is being very gracious).
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 04:01:09 AM »
Sorry Berto I jumped the gun there but I do think it is possible to grow them in the warm parts of Floridas climate with selection of the most suitable existing types.Mangosteen would be tougher but they have surprising diversity indicating the original hybridising even was repeated several times.The mangosteen lines in NE Thailand (eg chantharak) would be worth a shot.

Mangosteen has been fruited outdoors in Florida, most famously by Whitman. Durian has never been fruited in Florida. Even Whitman couldn't do it. More than warmth is involved, especially soils.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 04:03:40 AM »

If the durian fruit is frozen all the way through the seeds would definitely not be viable. Most tropical seeds don't survive freezing process. That is why they cannot be stored in traditional germplasm banks.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 04:05:15 AM »

If you are talking about the durian purchased at local Asian markets...besides being frozen I would put my money on them having been irradiated.  The other problem, the chances of successfully growing, let alone fruiting, durian in your area is slim (and that is being very gracious).

I don't think durians are irradiated because they are not considered a host to fruit flies.
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
FRESH Durians in San Diego, CA
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 11:02:31 AM »
For those of you within San Diego county, Fresh durians are available at the Fruit shop in Kearny Mesa off Convoy for $4.99/lb.  The shop also sells at Mira Mesa's farmers market every Tuesday.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:07:47 AM by Tim »
Tim

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: FRESH Durians in San Diego, CA
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 11:18:49 AM »
For those of you within San Diego county, Fresh durians are available at the Fruit shop in Kearny Mesa off Convoy for $4.99/lb.  The shop also sells at Mira Mesa's farmers market every Tuesday.
Where are they gettting them from ?
- Rob

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh Durian in San Diego, CA
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
Sorry I didn't ask, I only stopped by to pick up a jackfruit and happen to see them on sale.  I didn't even ask where the Jaks came from   :-\

As for other fruits currently available:  (they will have fruits from FL & HI later in the season, mangoes from Thailand as well)
mangosteen from Thailand
rambutans from Mexico
some really fat manila mangoes from South America (forgot which country)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:50:34 AM by Tim »
Tim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk