Author Topic: Can cecropia trees be kept small or in a container?  (Read 1110 times)

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Can cecropia trees be kept small or in a container?
« on: May 16, 2020, 09:29:20 PM »
Title.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Can cecropia trees be kept small or in a container?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 10:11:09 PM »
What do you consider small, and maybe a 100 gallon container.? Just look at the leaves you can see this tree wants to grow big. They all have to be pruned a lot. The fruit is best right now at the end of the dry season.

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 10:53:03 PM »
I'm not quite sure on pot size, but nothing huge. I'm trying to experiment a bit with keeping plants real tiny and wanted to try cecropia, but there isn't that much information on it. I've seen some pictures of some young trees fruiting in small containers, so I thought I could give it a try. What do you think?

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 01:02:54 AM »
I remember seeing it fruit in a pot and being small,  can't remember where i saw it though. If I find the link I'll post it

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 07:41:25 AM »
. I'm trying to experiment a bit with keeping plants real tiny and wanted to try cecropia, but there isn't that much information on it. I've seen some pictures of some young trees fruiting in small containers, so I thought I could give it a try. What do you think?

You might want to temper your expectations about real tiny. Notice the size of leaves are large and senescence is frequent leading to bare stems and growth concentrated near branch tips. These are aspects of a pioneer plant adapted to early succession. The tree also has hollow branches and trunk to not waste energy growing a strong trunk, more woody than papaya but not a long lasting tree. If you like a challenge you found one. I have seen one managed for a few years at 8 feet but haven't seen how it went farther in time. I've seen a few old ones and they were heavi;y pruned to try and keep them small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDGZSeZt8tM

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 02:54:18 PM »
Thank you for the information. I figured that if I can keep pruning it down, it will make new branches out of the main stem so I don't have to worry about anything, and perhaps the stem can fatten a bit. If I do decide to do this i guess I will just have to try it and see what happens.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 05:18:52 PM »
Be aware they do not like wet feet while young and can easily be drowned. Even in ground on a mound, I lost mine due to flooding. Good luck controlling it please get back with some pics to show how it worked out.

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 06:08:27 PM »
Thank you again, I will keep that in mind. It's not 100% decided that I get one, as again space is quite the issue, but if I do i'm probably going to get one of those "pruning pots" with holes to prevent wet feet, and then keep pruning it down so it does not get big and for easy harvest. If I do get it I will be sure to report back with pictures!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk