Author Topic: Found a new Mexican Jungle fruit today .  (Read 8007 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Found a new Mexican Jungle fruit today .
« on: March 07, 2019, 07:37:42 PM »
Strolling trough the jungle today I noticed lots of birds and other wildlife around and in a specific tree , closer by there was this wonderful fragrance like a very strong abricot smell . Several fruits on the ground , some still green probably knocked of by the birds , others a pink going to red colour , those 1/2 ripe , I guess , gave of this great perfume . Fruits were roundish , between 5 and 7 cm . Even those that had a good colour were still kinda hard , so when cutting them open they had an even stronger smell , 1 cm pulp between and around the seeds . The seeds looked like they could be some sort of Pouteria . I gotta go back in a week or so . I did take a small bite of one of the fruits , sweet and very pleasant ...and the best thing is I am still alive ....you never know

Now the bad part ....most of you know my computer crashed ...finally got it back a few days ago ....they did a lousy job ....I lost lots of files , pictures ...name it ....and even though I took quiete a few pics I could not upload them to my computer from my camera and obviously cannot post them at this time .

Been going trough my old Mexican books to try to find more info ....none ...anyway I am very excited . So if these no good computer technicians keep their word , next week you'll see some pics

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Found a new Mexican Jungle fruit today .
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 08:47:49 PM »
Nice! Still got it.
We shall see, what it happen’s to be.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 09:57:50 PM »
First thing computer repair people here do is make a complete backup of the hard drive, so nothing is lost. Should ask for that next time you get your computer worked on.
Fruit sounds great. Could it be Luc's Sapote? A new species?  8)
Oscar

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 10:55:32 PM »
I've worked in IT since I was 16... some techs have no idea what they are doing. sorry for your bad experience... some people give us a bad rep :(
-Kris

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 03:15:41 AM »
Having worked in PC research and development most of my adult life at IBM AND a RAID systems designer for HDD redundancy , I can say that HDD's can fail and lose data, some or all of it.  Also data recovery and computer repair are two completely different disciplines! Data recovery is Faaarrr more tedious, AND much more expensive.

"First thing computer repair people here do is make a complete backup of the hard drive, so nothing is lost"

And if the HDD has crashed? No recovery may be possible, Luc was lucky to get some files back.

Techs may be able to recover data but it ALWAYS 100% the responsibility of the owner to have backups, EVERY DAY!

Failing to do so and blaming a tech is completely unreasonable AND unfair.

The OP said: "I lost lots of files"

Note, not ALL, it's pretty clear the tech made a backup of what was left no?

A backup to a 128-256 gig memory stick that may cost a hundred bucks would have prevented it. Sorry for your loss but learn from it... Owner's fault, end of story.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:22:23 AM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 04:39:13 AM »
Having worked in PC research and development most of my adult life at IBM AND a RAID systems designer for HDD redundancy , I can say that HDD's can fail and lose data, some or all of it.  Also data recovery and computer repair are two completely different disciplines! Data recovery is Faaarrr more tedious, AND much more expensive.

"First thing computer repair people here do is make a complete backup of the hard drive, so nothing is lost"

And if the HDD has crashed? No recovery may be possible, Luc was lucky to get some files back.

Techs may be able to recover data but it ALWAYS 100% the responsibility of the owner to have backups, EVERY DAY!

A backup to a 128-256 gig memory stick that may cost a hundred bucks would have prevented it. Sorry for your loss but learn from it... Owner's fault, end of story.
Luc never said his hard drive crashed. You are assuming that. Actually he didn't say anything about what the problem was.
Oscar

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 04:55:46 AM »
He did not HAVE to the FACT is he lost files, his responsibility not the techs.
Regards,

Gary

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 08:42:23 AM »
Would like some seeds.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 11:01:31 AM »
Uoooo- can't wait for pic's Luc, sounds interesting ;)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 04:02:25 PM »

It's both the responsibility of the owner and the technician to take every precaution to not lose files. Have had my computer worked on dozens of times, and never lost any files. Technicians have to take precautions also, not just the owner of the computer.
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 04:18:16 PM »
I use mozy online backup. If the puter gets roasted, I still have copies of all of my files.
Jeff  :-)

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 04:48:28 PM »
Yes, keep us posted on this fruit and can't wait to see pics!
Jaime

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 10:20:46 PM »

It's both the responsibility of the owner and the technician to take every precaution to not lose files. Have had my computer worked on dozens of times, and never lost any files. Technicians have to take precautions also, not just the owner of the computer.

There isn't a tech on the globe that will take responsibility for someone who can't manage their own data, too many variables.

Since you're talking from limited experience  of a potential victim I see your point, but victims are the ones screwed by their own ineptness to deal with the tech they have. Like all victims they blame every one else, then find a lawyer. Thank goodness the legal profession has as much dislike for victims as I do who lose data or the court system would be clogged.

I've dealt with victims of data loss far too many times, for them it's always close the barn door after the horses escape, learn from other's mistakes or suffer the same fate.

Regards,

Gary

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 05:41:43 AM »
Anyway,  back to Lucs sapote.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 06:52:42 AM »
Anyway,  back to Lucs sapote.

Agreed. :-)

Regards,

Gary

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 11:50:48 AM »
Photo of the fruit. Photo sent to me by Luc.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 09:06:23 AM by Chandramohan »

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 07:04:27 PM »
When you delete a file is often still there for a while unless overwrited.  What is deleted is the address to the file in the hard disk so is unreachable, but still there. If the new operative system has been copied in the same physical place over the files, they are lost of course but you could try a partial recovery at least.

Use a linux operative live CD/DVD, reboot the computer booting from the cdrom, launch a terminal (mouse click in the "black tv" icon) and then use the program photorec or testdisk in the same partition (just write "testdisk" or "photorec" in the terminal and then browse the options). You would surprise of how many files can be recovered. When finished copying the undeleted files to a safe place in another disk [1] just remove the live CD and reboot again

[1] Don't copy the undeleted files to the same hard disk. You could overwrite some of your files before being able to recover them. Use a different device. SD card, pendrive or USB external hard disk.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 07:20:25 PM by pvaldes »

bestinjose

• India, Kerala, Ernakulam
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 10:06:08 AM »
Hi friends,
  Where's the excitement of un-earthing one more species? We may even get a Pouteria Vleerackeii. On this occasion, why to get too much technical!
--
Thanks and Regards,
Bestin Jose.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 04:51:19 AM »
Strolling trough the jungle today I noticed lots of birds and other wildlife around and in a specific tree , closer by there was this wonderful fragrance like a very strong abricot smell . Several fruits on the ground , some still green probably knocked of by the birds , others a pink going to red colour , those 1/2 ripe , I guess , gave of this great perfume . Fruits were roundish , between 5 and 7 cm . Even those that had a good colour were still kinda hard , so when cutting them open they had an even stronger smell , 1 cm pulp between and around the seeds . The seeds looked like they could be some sort of Pouteria . I gotta go back in a week or so . I did take a small bite of one of the fruits , sweet and very pleasant ...and the best thing is I am still alive ....you never know

Now the bad part ....most of you know my computer crashed ...finally got it back a few days ago ....they did a lousy job ....I lost lots of files , pictures ...name it ....and even though I took quiete a few pics I could not upload them to my computer from my camera and obviously cannot post them at this time .

Been going trough my old Mexican books to try to find more info ....none ...anyway I am very excited . So if these no good computer technicians keep their word , next week you'll see some pics

Hello Luc,

Congrats on the new fruit find! That’s very exciting! Do you have any updates on the fruit in question? How was the fruit when you went back? Have you figured out what it is yet?

Kind regards,
Nate
Nate

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 10:43:20 PM »

as someone who's had the misfortune of working customer service I understand your frustration, but let's try to focus on the possibly new species instead of our PTSD

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 11:41:53 PM »

as someone who's had the misfortune of working customer service I understand your frustration, but let's try to focus on the possibly new species instead of our PTSD

That’s what I was attempting to do (focus on new species) until you just posted this for some unknown reason....JUST STOP. WHOEVER DECIDES TO POST SOMETHING TO DO WITH THIS COMPUTER CRASHING BULLSH*T AGAIN IS AN IDIOT. Not to mention it’s starting to be disrespectful to Lucs new find. If you want to nerd out about computer stuff, or keep talking about things that have nothing to do with fruit, go to a different forum. Peace.
Nate

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 08:37:14 AM »
Luc, all yr seeds have sprouted!! Thanks. Any information on the new Pouteria?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 10:34:39 AM »
Nice looking fruit Luc, please tell us more about taste etc. 8) ;)