Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 533230 times)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #1325 on: May 08, 2019, 06:23:35 PM »
EvilFruit, what's the NPK of the food that mango is getting, what's your soil profile like including the pH?   Not a Mg issue.  Mg deficiencies only show on lower leaves as a pale yellow hue but can work its way to the mid level. It's a mineral transportation thingie regarding Mg. 

Hi Mark,

This mango is supposed to be Ewais or Taimoor Mango from Egypt.

My soil is pure sand, desert sand. It is very poor in almost all elements that is essential for plant life. As for NPK, I use water soluble fertilizer (19-19-19+1MgO) that is injected to the irrigation line and granular Fertilizer (8-8-16). I also add Trace Elements powder every three weeks and I use potassium sulfate before the plant start flowering. I don't use the full recommended dosage by the manufacture, I use only 1/3 of recommended dosage and some organic fertilizer (manure, compost) when I have it.

I have never tasted my soil pH.

Here is the products I use.

http://www.adfert.com/product_item/sulotaste/19-19-19.html
http://www.adfert.com/product_item/granular_npk/8-8-16.html
http://www.adfert.com/product_item/ws_TE/combi1.html

Moh'd

BPelkey

• Duck Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 08, 2019, 07:25:28 PM »
A few weeks ago I noticed these white objects on some Lemon Meringue mango leaves.  Pic attached.  Any advice on what they are?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 08, 2019, 08:54:51 PM »
Mango scale.
Har

BPelkey

• Duck Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 09, 2019, 08:55:31 AM »
Thank you Har.  I have looked up pics of Mango Scale and you are correct.
I initially tried to simply wipe the white spots off the mango leaves, but they came back.
In this forum you have suggested Neem oil and Insecticidal Soap as remedies.  Does liquid Sevin work?  I also found a link suggesting Bayer Tempo SC.  Any experience with this?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 09, 2019, 09:13:44 AM »
Thank you Har.  I have looked up pics of Mango Scale and you are correct.
I initially tried to simply wipe the white spots off the mango leaves, but they came back.
In this forum you have suggested Neem oil and Insecticidal Soap as remedies.  Does liquid Sevin work?  I also found a link suggesting Bayer Tempo SC.  Any experience with this?

Apply Bonide All Season Hort. Oil or any high quality paraffinic oil. Shake before applying as it contains an emulsifier, a non ionic surfactant

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 09, 2019, 09:17:53 AM »
EvilFruit, what's the NPK of the food that mango is getting, what's your soil profile like including the pH?   Not a Mg issue.  Mg deficiencies only show on lower leaves as a pale yellow hue but can work its way to the mid level. It's a mineral transportation thingie regarding Mg. 

Hi Mark,

My soil is pure sand, desert sand. It is very poor in almost all elements that is essential for plant life. As for NPK, I use water soluble fertilizer (19-19-19+1MgO) that is injected to the irrigation line and granular Fertilizer (8-8-16). I also add Trace Elements powder every three weeks and I use potassium sulfate before the plant start flowering. I don't use the full recommended dosage by the manufacture, I use only 1/3 of recommended dosage and some organic fertilizer (manure, compost) when I have it.

I took a look at the photo of those leaves again. I don't see a real problem based on the mature leaves.  They are dark green with no chlorosis evident.  The new immature leaves show a very minor chlorosis but nothing I'd be concerned about.  I think you're doing a great job considering the challenges you have.

BPelkey

• Duck Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 10, 2019, 08:25:29 AM »
Thanks, Mark.  I'll try this.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 10, 2019, 06:26:56 PM »

Hi Mark,

I took a look at the photo of those leaves again. I don't see a real problem based on the mature leaves.  They are dark green with no chlorosis evident.  The new immature leaves show a very minor chlorosis but nothing I'd be concerned about.  I think you're doing a great job considering the challenges you have.

Thank you Mark.
Moh'd

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #1333 on: May 17, 2019, 11:30:18 AM »
I noticed the newest leaves on my fruiting Dupuis Saigon (branch on multi grafted tree) seem unhealthy and slightly chlorotic.
Is there a specific micro I'm missing? (Its due for some fert, but the rain is not working with me)

Also, on the same tree but different branch i have Lemon Zest.
Is this MBBS, it looks like a scuff to me, and i don't see and sap
Its been on the fruits for like a month or so now

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 17, 2019, 01:26:45 PM »
Doesn't look like mbbs on the LZ. Not sure which nutrient is lacking (zinc, mn, mg, fe), but I've been able to convert that into green via the following program:

- Hars 0-3-16 once every 3 - 4 months
 - Helena's micronutrient mix (0-0-6) once a year
Jeff  :-)

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: May 29, 2019, 05:08:37 PM »
I'm now using Hars 0-3-16 and also recently used keyplex 350 for the micros. However, keyplex 350 caused some damaged to new tender growth. Am I not supposed to spray new growth or perhaps I used too much? I used 1 ounce per gallon following the label.  If I went overdosed, what can I do to correct the damage?  Thanks!!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 29, 2019, 05:11:52 PM »
Hmm, that's odd. You need to spray newer growth for it to work properly. Hardened leaves form some sort of waxy layer that inhibits uptake (leading to a freckled appearance).

Pictures?

I'm now using Hars 0-3-16 and also recently used keyplex 350 for the micros. However, keyplex 350 caused some damaged to new tender growth. Am I not supposed to spray new growth or perhaps I used too much? I used 1 ounce per gallon following the label.  If I went overdosed, what can I do to correct the damage?  Thanks!!

Paquicuba

• View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: May 29, 2019, 10:44:30 PM »
Here are some images from different trees. Perhaps because I used "Coco Wet Organic Wetting Agent"?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: May 29, 2019, 11:31:11 PM »
It looks a little bit like a fungal infection. Does your irrigation hit those leaves?

Here are some images from different trees. Perhaps because I used "Coco Wet Organic Wetting Agent"?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: May 30, 2019, 07:49:50 AM »
I haven't worked with Coco-Wet.  Does the label give advice about use in different weather conditions?  Did you use the low or moderate rate?

Adjuvants do often cause spray damage--- almost as often as the ingredients they are supposed to help.
Har

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: May 30, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »

You've got fungus issues.

Does Coco Wet have a rep for being phyto-toxic when applied to young foliage which is tender and hasn't hardened off yet?

I only use non-ionic surfactants like Red River NIS.

I have been spraying my mangos with Pristine + coppers and/or 3336WP and add 1 tsp/gal. of NIS as a spreader sticker.  My carrier is always rain water.  I'll add a bit of a high N food to increase uptake in the case of systemics like Pristine.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: May 30, 2019, 10:29:07 AM »
For those interested, here is a list of EPA Reduced Risk fungicides: https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/reduced-risk-and-organophosphate-alternative-decisions-conventional

Sort by pesticide type and look for "F".

I wasn't able to achieve adequate control with organic products, but a mix of organic and RR has done reasonably well.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: May 30, 2019, 10:55:56 AM »
Just for the record I only use fungicides known to be safe for personal consumption if they're holding fruit.  If they're not, I'll use whatever I want.  Am starting over with new and young trees thanks to a Jan. 2018 freeze that nailed all mangos but a Mallika.  It took 13F and gave me plenty of shoots to graft to.  It's now holding about 3 varieties one being Pineapple Pleasure.  Had a bad case of anthracnose so I sprayed it a couple of times with Pristine and MagnaBon, both systemics. 

You guys going commercial have a different hand to play.  I do know of one big time mango grower in Florida who was an organic purist until he quickly learned the hard way it doesn't work.  That op now sprays or rotates in such fungicides as Pristine.  Their fruit is wonderful.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: May 30, 2019, 11:01:09 AM »
For those interested, here is a list of EPA Reduced Risk fungicides: https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/reduced-risk-and-organophosphate-alternative-decisions-conventional

Sort by pesticide type and look for "F".

I wasn't able to achieve adequate control with organic products, but a mix of organic and RR has done reasonably well.

Good one!

What's ironical is the fact that most organophosphates are very biodegradable and quite safe compared to some of the chlorinated types like the old chlordane.    Take malathion for example.  It quickly breaks down into the harmless phosphate salt it was created from.  You have to know your pesticides.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: May 30, 2019, 02:23:23 PM »
I was wondering about that myself.

What's ironical is the fact that most organophosphates are very biodegradable and quite safe compared to some of the chlorinated types like the old chlordane.    Take malathion for example.  It quickly breaks down into the harmless phosphate salt it was created from.  You have to know your pesticides.

Paquicuba

• View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: May 30, 2019, 03:47:58 PM »
Thanks a lot guys for your replies. I know it's not fungus because it happened overnight after spraying the trees at night time. I guess I can only use Coco wet for palm trees and start using NIS.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: May 30, 2019, 06:30:35 PM »
Wet foliage left overnight could cause a fungal infection on tender new leaves. Mango leaves at that stage are particularly vulnerable.

If it were due to the surfactant, I'd have expected larger lesions.

Thanks a lot guys for your replies. I know it's not fungus because it happened overnight after spraying the trees at night time. I guess I can only use Coco wet for palm trees and start using NIS.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: May 30, 2019, 06:33:18 PM »
What may have caused this?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: May 30, 2019, 08:30:36 PM »
Beats me!

What low temperatures did those misshapened fruits go through?

What sources and amounts of Boron and Zinc have you provided?
Har

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: May 30, 2019, 08:48:46 PM »
Beats me!

What low temperatures did those misshapened fruits go through?

What sources and amounts of Boron and Zinc have you provided?

A week ago lowest i had was 43... now we are consistently getting 80 temps..

This is what i use down to earth citrus mix and seaweed.