Author Topic: A tale of two mangoes: of the Po Pyu Kalay variety + Excalibur Nursery review`  (Read 18673 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Zands, since this thread is a year old...do you have any updates, pictures of your trees? Is it blooming? Thanks!!

About two months later I was at Excalibur again and got a Coc Vietnamese mango. I planted this instead of the PPK. If had more space I would have planted the PPK too but.... space limitations prevented this.  Lemon Zest is derived from PPK I belive.

The Coc is doing very well with many tiny fruits. About 6-7 ft high. Planted May 2011

So instead of 2 PPKs, you ended up with none?  that's funny if i am correct
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile

So instead of 2 PPKs, you ended up with none?  that's funny if i am correct

I did my best to keep it a secret but pugsLvr somehow unearthed this thread :-[

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
With Lemon Zest being held as the greatest by many...and an improved PPK seedling...than I think the forum can forgive you for this Blunder Zands lol
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
With Lemon Zest being held as the greatest by many...and an improved PPK seedling...than I think the forum can forgive you for this Blunder Zands lol

Looks like I dodged the PPK bullet 8)
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=9706.0

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: A tale of two mangoes: of the Po Pyu Kalay variety + Excalibur review`
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2014, 11:38:51 AM »
I got one called 'Cat Chu' today. Could be that.

Honestly, I don't even know what most of the stuff I got from them even is.

For example, I picked up a mango today labelled both 'Obson' and also 'Hobson' on the tag. Richard called it a 'Hobson'. I am presuming (hoping) this is actually a mis-labelling of 'Hodson', which is supposed to be a good mango.

Squam,

Did you ever determine if the Hobson sold at Excalibur was, in fact, a Hodson?

Pretty sure they are the same.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
The green tape seems to be girdling the Excalibur tree.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile

I see you haven't changed...
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile

How would you describe the bottom tape on the tree? 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruitnut

• willow Grove, Pa/7b
    • View Profile
So the 'coc' mango on their website is actually cocker, rather than Cac?  I figured they may have Cac since they have cat chu and cat hoa loc (all vietnamese i believe).  I asked Squam about these 3 a while back.  He said cat chu is the best of the 3 (Cac, cat hoa loc, and cat chu). 

FWIW, I thought the Cac mango was very good when i had it at the mango festival a few years ago.

bsbullie (rob) know for sure but I think Cac is same as Coc  (all are Vietnamese, yes)

Cac is the mango, and Coc is not a mango, but Junes Plum in Vietnamese.  I might be wrong, but I have not heard of a Coc mango.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Cac is the mango, and Coc is not a mango, but Junes Plum in Vietnamese.  I might be wrong, but I have not heard of a Coc mango.

http://www.vietnamtravels.vn/Vietnam-travel-information/Fruits.htm

According to that link, the Coc mango translates to toad mango. There may be two different mangos, the Coc and the Cac but it seems that Coc is an actual variety.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile

that tree tape will stretch, as you know.  It will not girdle into the tree.  In many cases it can actually break.  It is also removed and reapplies when the trees are uppotted.  You obviously have not been to many large scale nurseries...not every tree is given one on one attention to check for each tree tape tie.  When trees are not sold or they grow in a more vigorous manner, they can and sometimes will outgrow their pot, stake and tree tape that ties the stake. 

I have seen this effect at Zills, Pine Island, Laras and Excalibur, to name a few of the more locally popular nurseries.   You need to get off your horse and stop criticizing cause you got a bad $15 plant and did nothing about it but instead trying to get your rocks off by taking any shot you can.  Oh, maybe you have a credible source that can prove me wrong...
- Rob

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
bsbullie is back!!!  8)

http://youtu.be/pchXf1SqjvQ

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I will admit I missed Rob, even when he's a bit grouchy. I hope he continues to communicate on the forum, even at the cost of feelings being hurt! Hell, it gets interesting at times, keeps me checking posts for updates.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile

that tree tape will stretch, as you know.  It will not girdle into the tree.  In many cases it can actually break.  It is also removed and reapplies when the trees are uppotted.  You obviously have not been to many large scale nurseries...not every tree is given one on one attention to check for each tree tape tie.  When trees are not sold or they grow in a more vigorous manner, they can and sometimes will outgrow their pot, stake and tree tape that ties the stake. 

I have seen this effect at Zills, Pine Island, Laras and Excalibur, to name a few of the more locally popular nurseries.   You need to get off your horse and stop criticizing cause you got a bad $15 plant and did nothing about it but instead trying to get your rocks off by taking any shot you can.  Oh, maybe you have a credible source that can prove me wrong...

Yes, I have had at least one mislabeled plant from Excalibur.  Your response is why I believe other nurseries are superior in quality to Excalibur.  Imagine if you went to McDonalds and there was something wrong with your Egg McMuffin.  You complained about your food and the food server said, "We are no worst than our competition, eat it!"  Would that response engender loyalty?  Your response is the equivalent.  Excalibur has many good points, including a very large selection.  You seem to see RED whenever anyone says anything negative about Excalibur.  Without being able to receive and apply constructive criticism, your nursery will not achieve it's optimum level of quality.
www.FLMangos.com

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC

While I do see some apparent slowing of growth on the trunk of this tree where it is covered by tape, I don't really think this is girdling the tree in the sense that girdling is used agriculturally.  Girdling is usually performed by cutting into the branch.....to stimulate fruit production (as in lychees) or by completely removing bark and cambium to do an air layer, or even further down to kill a tree entirely. I suppose one could say that it is only a matter of degree and I would not argue. Plastic tape can slow the growth of a young tree where it is applied but will not cause any real consequences even if it does not stretch.  I have had metal tomato cages around my trees to protect from gardener attack and have left them on as the trees have grown.  The metal does not stretch, the tree trunk just grows right around the metal and the metal becomes encased in the trunk.  The tree is none the worse for wear. That green tape, depending upon how it is applied is sometimes much stronger and less stretchy than one might think. I have had many occasions where the green tape has cut into the young tree trunk.  But again, overall, its of no consequence unless you just don't like the look.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
I've seen two young grafted mango trees that have been girdled by the green tape. Both of them were green tapes located below the graft. My old kent tree was pretty girdled by the green tape and my uncle's newly obtained haden tree had the same problem even though my kent was even worse. The diameter of the trunk where the green tape covered was much smaller than the rest of the trunk on my kent. The bottom portion of the trunk looked weird due to that problem. I took it off and with time, the ring-indentation filled in and looked much more even with the rest of the trunk.
Alexi

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If the nursery is very large, like mine for example (LOL), they use a tapener tool.  The tapener tool uses a microstaple to fasten the ends of the green tape and cut it off just the length it needs for the tie.  Once the tree grows, the slight expanse begins the process of tearing at the staple point.  It will eventually pop off at the connection and never girdle the tree. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NURSERY-PLANT-TYING-TAPETOOL-TAPENER-MACHINE-10-rolls-tape-staples-Extra-Blade-/300853766671?_trksid=p2054897.l4276
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:29:11 PM by pj1881 (Patrick) »

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
If the nursery is very large, like mine for example (LOL), they use a tapener tool.  The tapener tool uses a microstaple to fasten the ends of the green tape and cut it off just the length it needs for the tie.  Once the tree grows, the slight expanse begins the process of tearing at the staple point.  It will eventually pop off at the connection and never girdle the tree. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NURSERY-PLANT-TYING-TAPETOOL-TAPENER-MACHINE-10-rolls-tape-staples-Extra-Blade-/300853766671?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

The ones that were girdled were actually tied ( small knots) and not stapled. Stapling seems to make much more sense since it will eventually break off as the trunk grows in width like you were mentioning. The tied ones seem to be much harder for the tree to break off, hence the girdling. My old kent was from Lowes and my uncle's haden was from an unknown source, but both had the pine island tag.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:35:58 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The thing is really slick. You can fly down a line of trees with a handful of stakes and stick them in a pot, and make three ties in about 3-5 seconds each.  A must have for every collector that is obsessive like me.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
The thing is really slick. You can fly down a line of trees with a handful of stakes and stick them in a pot, and make three ties in about 3-5 seconds each.  A must have for every collector that is obsessive like me.

Cool. :)
Alexi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk