Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528890 times)

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #225 on: November 03, 2012, 06:08:11 AM »
My Valencia Pride, Rosigold, Mahachanok, and Lancetilla are all suffering from some sort of leaf tip "burn" (for lack of an accurate term).  All of the burn is on the second flush or older. 

All were purchased this past summer as 3 gal trees. They were planted in late August / early September.  I have low organic matter, sandy soil that drains well. Soil ph ranges from 6.5 to about 8. Since the summer rains have subsided, I water only when the soil is fairly dry. Well water has a ph of about 6.  I've fertilized once so far with excalibur's 8-3-9 w micros. I have also foliar sprayed once with Southern Ag citrus nutritional spray (no NPK). 

Is the last pic whitefly evidence?

I have a Dot, 2 Pickerings, Beverly, Ice Cream, and a BKM that don't show any symptoms yet. My avocados and carambola are happy and flushing nonstop.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Mahachanok

Rosigold

Rosigold

Lancetilla

Lancetilla

JC

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
« Reply #226 on: November 03, 2012, 09:16:10 AM »
If you do not have many trees as I do and are totally organic use hydrpgen peroxcide on things like this. I use it on U-tips in places and always have a small spray bottle to use.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 03, 2012, 10:39:02 PM »
I don't recall seeing signs like that on the first 'Lancetilla' picture.  The others look as though they have been sprayed with soap or oil when the spray took too long to dry.

Has any "Weed n' Feed" been used near there?
Har

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 04, 2012, 06:06:23 AM »
I have sprayed some soap when I found some what looked like spiraling whiteflys. Otherwise, my copper has a sticker that is soapy.

No weed n feed from me, but maybe the landscaping crew.  I'll check into them.  I saw my neighbor spraying his weeds about 2 weeks ago. 
JC

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 10, 2012, 03:28:51 PM »
Hello to everybody, :D
I have a small problem with my choc anon.
Somebody few to help me to solve this problem, I would not like to lose my mango tree. :-[ :'(
That to make? :-[

Sorry, for the quality of photos.
thank you. ;) 8)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:30:55 PM by anaxel »

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 10, 2012, 07:59:49 PM »
Took a good look at my mango tree lately and couldn't help but notice that the sooty mold has really taken hold.  My understanding of this is that it is caused by the sticky secretions of aphids, which then turns black from bacteria in the air.  Correct?
Today I decided to take a soft brush and warm water with a squirt of dish detergent and do some clean up.  Pain in the butt to be sure, but the cleaning was effective.  I'd rather not have to do this again, so I'm guessing the issue is to control aphids.  How best to do this?  And for future cleanups, is there an easier way than the old school manual scrubbing I went through today?
Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:50:04 PM by Carbo »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 10, 2012, 08:10:07 PM »
Scale may also cause the sooty mold and not just aphids. The sooty mold grows on the excess carbohydrates caused by the aphids and scale feeding on the leaves.

Aphids and scale are often farmed and protected by ants so if you control the ants you will also be able to control the aphids/scale easier. I control them with the occasional spraying of farm soap. For whitefly I just spray the bottom of the leaves with the hose.

Oh, whitefly will also cause sooty mold. Basically any leaf sucking insect can cause sooty mold because of the excess carbs.

I've found that the sooty mold goes away after a while on its own once you control the insect.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 10, 2012, 08:17:28 PM »
I've found agriculture oil (like Ortho's Volck) to be very effective on mites, ahpids and scale- which inturn eliminates sooty mold in the process. Two consecutive applications, 24hrs apart on both sides of the leaves in the evening when it's cool and preferable not too windy and the pests are good as gone. Dilute per instructions, and apply it using a fine mist, portable pump sprayer....its pretty easy. Used it on my two Sapodillas, NDM, Maha for sooty mold from scale, and some ficus and hedges that had white fly problems (tiny white flies), and it just smothers those suckers and they are dead. The finer the mist/spray the better. I'm really impressed with it and it sells for less than $6.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 12, 2012, 08:06:46 AM »
I've found agriculture oil (like Ortho's Volck) to be very effective on mites, ahpids and scale- which inturn eliminates sooty mold in the process. Two consecutive applications, 24hrs apart on both sides of the leaves in the evening when it's cool and preferable not too windy and the pests are good as gone. Dilute per instructions, and apply it using a fine mist, portable pump sprayer....its pretty easy. Used it on my two Sapodillas, NDM, Maha for sooty mold from scale, and some ficus and hedges that had white fly problems (tiny white flies), and it just smothers those suckers and they are dead. The finer the mist/spray the better. I'm really impressed with it and it sells for less than $6.
Keep an eye on things as this will not usually act a a cure all.  Also, it does not and will not rid whitefly, ficus or spiraling.
- Rob

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 12, 2012, 09:34:03 AM »
The leaves show serious micro-nutrient deficiency.  Add Iron and Manganese and Sulfur.

The black spots look like anthracnose.  Many products are labeled to treat this, including ones containing Copper or Potassium Phosphite.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 12, 2012, 09:41:06 AM »
Mealybugs will also contribute to sooty mold.
Har

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 12, 2012, 10:15:42 AM »
Hi Guanabanus, :D 8) ;)
 thank you very much to have answered me, I waited for a solution to be able to look after the plant.
I am going to treat leaves and to look after the plante(treat).
thank you all.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:07:42 PM by anaxel »

Bonakyon

• Guanaja, Honduras. zone 11b
    • View Profile
    • Guanaja Real Estate
« Reply #237 on: November 22, 2012, 12:17:34 AM »
I have a Golden Queen mango seedling that was spouted from seeds that were sent to me from Hong Kong. The seedling started out fine but after about a month one of the young leaves started browning on the edges. After a couple more weeks the other top leaves started browning as well. Now it looks as thought I might lose the plant and I really don’t want to lose this mango tree. I have no clue as to what’s wrong or what to do. I live in the Caribbean, and in my area mango trees grow like weeds… In fact after mango season we have to “mow” the seedling to stop more trees from coming up all over the place. Is this variety different in needs than all other varieties in the Caribbean..? I added a bit of sheep manure to the starter mix but the amount was negligible. After seeing the browning I decided to put the tree in the ground to see if it would fare any better but it seems to be getting worst… what should I do…?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #238 on: November 24, 2012, 08:09:19 AM »
Hard to really say what is going on with your seedling with any certainty.  I would consider several things.  First I note that the problem is with the new growth and not the older established growth.  I have seen new growth burn off with wind and temperature issues, but that would presumably not be your issue in your location. I suppose wind heavily laden with salt could cause this type of burn.  I don't think it is a root problem as that would affect all the leaves and not the newer ones only.  Manure can burn a plant and even in small quantities, cause damage. That could be the issue. I have also seen new growth burn off with lack of water.  Has the water supply been constant.  My experience with mangoes is that in warmer climates, the more water the better.  I'd would wash the manure away from the roots and water heavily.  The plant should respond unless there is something else going on.  If there is something else going on, I am sorry to say I don't know what it would be nor how you would treat it.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 01, 2012, 10:36:10 AM »
noticed several leaves got some black powdery stuff, and even spread to branches.... any idea?  Fungicide spread works?

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 01, 2012, 11:14:22 AM »
Sooty mold. A result of insects that secrete sugary substance. Volck agri oil can kill suffocate the insects, thus ridding of the sooty mold. Or sulfur fungicide application. Do either when it is cool outside (evenings).
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 01, 2012, 10:55:54 PM »
Yes.  Just be sure not to mix sulfur and oil, and don't even spray them within three weeks of each other.
Har

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 04, 2012, 06:18:51 PM »
Help out a new guy and tell me what this is.  There is scale here that I think is dead but there is also what looks like fungus or mold.

Thanks
Bill

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #243 on: December 04, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »
looks like Flight why or Bealy mugs.

I'm sorry, white fly or mealy bugs.

quite a few sap sucking insects produce a white waxy substance to deter predators.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 04, 2012, 07:13:02 PM »
It is hard to tell from the photo, but it looks as if it could be wooly whitefly or mealybug.  If there are small white flying insects around, then it might be whitefly. If there are any hibiscus plants around this tree take a look at them as they are a magnet for the wooly whitefly.  If the spots on the plants look like soft many legged buggers then they are likely to be mealybug. The two spots on the upper part of the right hand branch do look a lot like scale.

Richard

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 04, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »
Spray with oil looks like scale
Mike

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 04, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »
Darn you Mods  :-*, I had just made a post when you switched to this thread and my post was lost...third time today  >:( >:(  :blank:

Being the leaves look clean, I would say no to it being whitefly.  As this is a pretty bad infestation, I would use something a little more potent than an oil.  While I know some of you do not like or believe in pesticides and also think oil is a cure all,,,I am not one of those people.  Sometimes you need to use something with a little power behind it.

Oh, I would also isolate this tree from the rest of your plants/trees till you have this infestation well under control.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #247 on: December 05, 2012, 09:06:02 AM »
Yes.  Just be sure not to mix sulfur and oil, and don't even spray them within three weeks of each other.

Why is that?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 05, 2012, 08:30:37 PM »
Leaf burn.
Har

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 06, 2012, 01:25:46 AM »
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.