Poll

If you had to live on the fruit from just one of these, which would it be?

New World
Old World

Author Topic: Poll: Culinary fruit preference New World vs. Old World  (Read 5665 times)

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
Poll: Culinary fruit preference New World vs. Old World
« on: February 04, 2016, 11:44:09 PM »
New World (North and South America): E.g. cherimoya, rollinia, jaboticaba, sapodilla, mamey sapote, canistel, green sapote, passiflora, pawpaw, guava, grumichama, cherry rio grande, pitomba, rainforest plum, pitanga, pitangatuba/pitangola/starcherry, abiu, annona, araza/araca boi, papaya, babaco, black sapote, white sapote, pineapple, strawberry, achacha, chupa-chupa, bunchosia/peanut butter tree, panama berry/jamaica cherry, acerola, opuntia/prickly pears, pitaya/dragonfruit, feijoa, American persimmon, inga/ice cream bean, star apple, monstera, ugni, tamarillo and muscadine.

Old World (Asia, Europe, Africa): Pretty much everything else, e.g. banana, mango, apple, peach, plum, cherry, grape, fig, pomegranate, mulberry, lychee, longan, rambutan, pulasan, lansium spp., carambola/starfruit, watermelon, durian, breadfruit, jakfruit, chempadek, marang, mangosteen, citrus, kiwifruit, jujube, olive, date, Japanese persimmon, pear, apricot, quince, muskmelon, loquat, salak and santol.

*Oceania and Antarctica are not included in either (sorry fans of finger lime, Davidson's Plum and midyim). Some genuses are asymmetrically common to both worlds, like coconuts, rubus, blueberry, ribes, mulberry, haskap/honeysuckle.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:58:33 AM by Mango Stein »
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Culinary fruit preference New World vs. Old World
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:02:33 PM »
I'm going to leave the poll open indefinitely. Surprising to see how evenly split.

I voted Old World although would have switched if there was a South American version of lychee or jakfruit.

Although this forum is disproportionately from the Americas.
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 12:34:58 AM »
The deciding fruit for me isn't on the list!  :P (Avocado.)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 05:37:32 AM »
The deciding fruit for me isn't on the list!  :P (Avocado.)

Also forgot papaya.
I think you can deduce results already by looking at the previous threads on top 10 favorite fruits. I think usually the top scorers are old world fruits, but usually folks will have also some new world fruits in the same top 10 list.
Oscar

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 06:47:09 AM »
Annonas decided it for me.
Dom

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 07:53:05 AM »
Fruitlovers, papaya is on the list.

Barath, avocado I did not include because this is a list of culinary fruits. Avocado is a fruit only from a botanical point of view (along with tomatoes, cucumbers, nuts, etc) but culinary-wise I think it is a vegetable. Perhaps olive and quince shouldn't be on the list either.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:56:17 AM by Mango Stein »

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 08:21:58 AM »
Avocado as a plant depends on the location, for example here in Brazil is almost a crime to eat avocado and salt thing.

Cut it in half, we took the lump put sugar and eat, or beaten with milk.

Barath, avocado I did not include because this is a list of culinary fruits. Avocado is a fruit only from a botanical point of view (along with tomatoes, cucumbers, nuts, etc) but culinary-wise I think it is a vegetable. Perhaps olive and quince shouldn't be on the list either.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 08:22:08 AM »

Perhaps this thread shouldn't exist at all.  As Oscar said,  "top 10" and other "favorite" threads have been done and can be found by searching.   Polls are basically senseless and a waste of space.
- Rob

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 08:37:31 AM »
The guy with 5920 posts tells me I'm the one wasting space, lol.

Hey bsbullie, I'm guessing you voted New World with prickly pear lodged up your backside being the clincher.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 08:50:37 AM »

Hey bsbullie, I'm guessing you voted New World with prickly pear lodged up your backside being the clincher.

Welcome to the forum, douchebag...oh, and dont let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya...
- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 02:54:49 PM »
i guess i should've read it better.
I thought this was a poll of which fruit were better to use in culinary arts (making food) as opposed to just eating fresh.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 04:02:55 PM »
i guess i should've read it better.
I thought this was a poll of which fruit were better to use in culinary arts (making food) as opposed to just eating fresh.

Consider who created the post...
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 05:34:58 PM »

;D You should be the official BSBullie forum moderator.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »

Welcome to the forum, douchebag...oh, and dont let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya...

Rob, I know you could come up with something better than name calling.

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 06:41:57 PM »

I literally spewed my beer out in public reading this. Exalt this post to the highest.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 08:55:52 PM »

Thats what happens when i get thorns shoved up my ass.  In this case, I calls em like I sees em...

I posted basic facts without attack.   It attacked.  I defended and retaliated.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 08:58:46 PM »

Also consider this poster is the one who wants to tell peopke what names they should use when identifying fruit because of what it feels.
- Rob

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 03:49:52 AM »

Also consider this poster is the one who wants to tell peopke what names they should use when identifying fruit because of what it feels.

Guilty as charged. I am a dangerous opinion-haver who is recklessly communicating ideas in order to influence the positions of others.

Also, if you want to dehumanize me to the level of an "it" then the clause "one who wants" really should be "one that wants". But I understand that the lingua franca in Florida is now Espanol so I won't be too hard on you.

Oh look, 28 people have now voted in the poll and someone even PM'd me suggesting I add pulasan and lansium spp. to the list. You'd better get to work and castigate them for reinforcing such decadent wastefulness.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:59:04 AM by Mango Stein »

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 05:46:08 AM »
Quote from: Tetsu0
I literally spewed my beer out in public reading this. Exalt this post to the highest.

I'm trying to be polite and stomach musang shit coffee (civet cat) stop discussing backsides... Anyone want freshly "picked"?!
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 12:00:22 PM »
This is such a friendly forum. I'm happy anything goes here. It makes me want to call some people names myself - oh wait, that's only reserved for certain favorites who can say anything they want and insult anyone they want just because they have Asperger's and their special interest happens to be fruit. It's awesome having no rules or basic standard of decency. Definitely makes me want to talk to others here about fruit. Oh wait, is that what we were talking about? No, it can't be, because so many threads end up in name-calling, belittling, thinly veiled rage, and tantrums...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 01:27:23 PM »

Guilty as charged. I am a dangerous opinion-haver who is recklessly communicating ideas in order to influence the positions of others.

Also, if you want to dehumanize me to the level of an "it" then the clause "one who wants" really should be "one that wants". But I understand that the lingua franca in Florida is now Espanol so I won't be too hard on you.

Oh look, 28 people have now voted in the poll and someone even PM'd me suggesting I add pulasan and lansium spp. to the list. You'd better get to work and castigate them for reinforcing such decadent wastefulness.

Wow, a whole 28 people.  Almost all forum members voted.

All I said that got your panties in a bunch was this has been discussed openly in multiple threads,..and you would have known that if you had used the search feature.  My comment to polls was not an attack on you, that is my opinion on polls in general.  Useless and senseless.  My opinion and my spiny ass opinion only (I did as you instructed and sat on a prickly pear fruit).

Oh, and as long as we are trying to make accurate statement, its only Miami-Dade County, not the entire state of Florida, that considers in first language Spanish.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 04:47:56 PM »

Rob for President! He is the one that could beat Trump.  8)
Seriously, i think it's a good question: which fruits make it consistently to the top New World or Old World. I think forum members usually have Old World, mostly Asian fruits, especially mango, at top of their top 10, but usually there will also be some new world fruits also in same list of top 10. As for general public most people in Americas, have no idea what a durian, mangosteen, langsat, pulasan, rambutan, etc. are, so none of those great Asian fruits will make it to top 10 of general public. One big exception to Asian fruits is mango, which many people in USA and Europe have tasted.
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 10:03:20 PM »
Take it easy. Words tend to sound more aggressive as text. It's why I delete half of my own posts before posting.

Old world/new world is not an ideal split for most people. Too many things to give up to choose only one. Or maybe this is a good split and forces people to choose between apples and bananas.

Oops I guess banana is listed in old world too.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:12:15 PM by fyliu »

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 02:36:49 AM »
No need to pick actually I just voted for the sake of voting. Agavemuricana and nullzero would prolly find that alternative use of the prickly pear cactus quite wasteful tho! And I feel the same :)
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 10:19:50 AM »
Since several temperate fruits are listed in the poll let me add my temperate voice.  First off the New World does have their own plums and cherries even if they aren't quite as delicious as the Asian varieties and their hybrids.  Second while I would really miss citrus, peaches, mangos, bananas, and the occasional jackfruit like most based in the New World I would miss a little more the tomatoes, peppers, chocolate, in addition to the Annonas and the New World Passifloras

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk