Author Topic: Who grow Durian in South Florida?  (Read 12065 times)

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Who grow Durian in South Florida?
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 09:31:50 PM »
Ha ha, you live and learn. No more purchasing Durian from ebay then.

I actually already have a Bangkok Lemon Jackfruit (grafted) bought from Excalibur, and just put it in the ground last weekend. Don't know what to do with this mystery jackfruit. I will just keep it in the pot and if I feel like it, just put it in ground where I saved the space for potential Durian.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 09:37:38 PM »
Ha ha, you live and learn. No more purchasing Durian from ebay then.

I actually already have a Bangkok Lemon Jackfruit (grafted) bought from Excalibur, and just put it in the ground last weekend. Don't know what to do with this mystery jackfruit. I will just keep it in the pot and if I feel like it, just put it in ground where I saved the space for potential Durian.

If you like jackfruit,  go add a Red Morning.
- Rob

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 09:48:39 PM »

Thanks! Will do more research about Red Morning, time to get busy Googling again  ;)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 09:57:54 PM »

Thanks! Will do more research about Red Morning, time to get busy Googling again  ;)

It is the best of the locally available red fleshed jackfruit.  It has less of that juicyfruit flavor and what I would call a distinct sweet slightly musky (in a very good way) red berry flavor.

If you can find a grafted Amber, that would be an excellent orange fleshed variety.
- Rob

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 06:38:00 AM »
:P I bought the plant off ebay. So I got a fake Durian?
That's definitely not a durian. 

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 09:35:49 AM »
I will just keep it in the pot and if I feel like it, just put it in ground where I saved the space for potential Durian.

Someone on the forum did a multirootstock jackfruit or inarch. In other words you might be able to get a headstart by planting the tree and using it as a multirootstock.

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 10:43:26 AM »

It is the best of the locally available red fleshed jackfruit.  It has less of that juicyfruit flavor and what I would call a distinct sweet slightly musky (in a very good way) red berry flavor.

If you can find a grafted Amber, that would be an excellent orange fleshed variety.

Rob, any chance Exculibur would have the Red Morning and/or Amber fruit for tasting? I grew up eating the yellow jackfruit so it's hard to imagine other flavor other than that I'm used to.

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 10:44:41 AM »
Someone on the forum did a multirootstock jackfruit or inarch. In other words you might be able to get a headstart by planting the tree and using it as a multirootstock.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will consider this. I don't have any grafting experience so may be this would would be my guinea pig, a root stock that I don't if I killed it  ;D

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 11:34:45 AM »
Alright! This discussion is getting interesting, so there are more durian trees around South Florida than expected. I think the next thing we need to find out are how old the existing trees are (i.e Durio trees got to 20-30' in Fairchild, but are they 5 years, 8 years, grafted, start from seeds etc.)  Durian typically start fruit around 15 years, but grafted could only take 8 years (again, from my brief research and read from internet).

I see Durian really have a lot of commercial potential selling at $9.99/lb so I expect more commercial growers would try really hard to make it work.

No, a commercial grower in Florida would not waste their time and loss of money to get it to work.  Too many negative variables and the income loss is not a smart economic/business decision.  They would make their decisions in crops that the net gains are the highest.

There is a reason the price per pound is so high...

Rob is absolutely right.  No commercial grower in their right mind is going to take on a financial risk like durian when there are so many other viable options:  Tomatoes, peppers, blueberries, strawberries, etc.  At best, durian is going to be grown in the back yard by durian enthusiasts.  And I look forward to the day when we can enjoy home-grown durian from our own trees :-)  Now the problem is finding that elusive plant that will survive Florida conditions.....

You can try durian lablae from the mountain in north thailand. It is colder there. Also  is a very good durian with small seed.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »
Cempedak, is another great alternative to Durian but certainty not as great as top quality Durian, in my opinion. Also, I believe no one managed to fruit Cempedak in Florida so your only option is to get a jackfruitxCempedak hybrid if you want something that is very close to durian.

Just keep in mind it won't be as good as a durian.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 03:08:05 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 05:37:49 PM »
Cempedak, is another great alternative to Durian but certainty not as great as top quality Durian, in my opinion. Also, I believe no one managed to fruit Cempedak in Florida so your only option is to get a jackfruitxCempedak hybrid if you want something that is very close to durian.

Chempedak is not close to durian...nobody likes it in Thailand, durian is much better.

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2018, 12:56:09 PM »

I'm actually growing a Cempedak. Not interested in Cheena/Cempejack since I already have Jackfruit. The only fruit tree on my list are Marang/Pedalai and Durian.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2018, 01:13:23 PM »
Champedek do not seem to like our weather or soil.  Texture is soft, too.  Cheena, meh...grow good jackfruit, you will be much happier.
- Rob

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2018, 03:46:49 PM »

I'm actually growing a Cempedak. Not interested in Cheena/Cempejack since I already have Jackfruit. The only fruit tree on my list are Marang/Pedalai and Durian.

Durio exarillatus

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=13891.msg176068#msg176068

Someone from Florida need to do it.  8)
Moh'd

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2018, 10:20:26 AM »
Champedek do not seem to like our weather or soil.  Texture is soft, too.  Cheena, meh...grow good jackfruit, you will be much happier.

There are many application for cempedek. A lot people get put off by the texture of cempedek. Back home we make cempedek fritter and cempedek butter cake (pound cake). Personally when I grow fruit tree, I'm not just looking for eating fresh, I also look for other application of the fruits.

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »

Durio exarillatus

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=13891.msg176068#msg176068

Someone from Florida need to do it.  8)

someone use to run durian orchard between the border of Thailand and Malaysia told me they grow wild durian and craft other durians on the wild durian since it yield shorter trees and the tree is more tolerance toward weather and disease.

While we're on the subject of durian, Durian is in such high demand in Asia (The mainland Chinese consume them now), many durian growers are doing this now..... quite disturbing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s_uzYUgodY

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 04:52:30 PM »
He is spraying fertilizer i think....Durian needs much fertilizer.

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2018, 09:40:19 AM »
I think it's impossible to find Durio exarillatus outside of India. I'm in the process of doing some searching back in my home country. My contacts can get their hand on Durian Sukang, Durian Dalit and Durian Dulcis/Api. I consider these are wild durian. Could these have potential to use as root stock?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2018, 10:27:10 AM »
Moral:  Just because the fruit has a prickly peel, doesn't make it a durian.  A lot of people easily jump to the wrong ID.  I have witnessed this many times.
Har