Author Topic: Persian Lime tree - need advice  (Read 1128 times)

Kmfjc

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
Persian Lime tree - need advice
« on: May 15, 2020, 11:17:56 PM »
I live outside of Houston Texas, I brought this tree from a local nursery last Sunday. I transplanted this tree the same day and used root stimulator. This tree does have fruit growing, I noticed yellowing in the leaves. Could this be a nitrogen deficiency? I have not fertilized yet. Thank you for any advice! My zone is an area that doesn't have the greening disease and I was asked while I was purchasing what county I live in by the nursery.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Persian Lime tree - need advice
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 11:44:32 PM »
Interveinal cholorosis.
Not a big deal, mostly caused by low micro-nutrient bio-availability.

Many products help, but many require continued application.

Iron sulfate will show an immediate improvement, but the long-term solution is adding sulfur or some other slow-release acidifier.

Kmfjc

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 12:11:07 AM »
I have a few more questions, At the nursery the employee told me to apply root stimulator once a week for 3 weeks after I transplant in order to prevent transplant shock. Should I do that? Is it ok if I put the root stimulator and then supplement the iron a few days later? Also should I fertilize late may or wait for growth to appear on the tree before I start to fertilize. Im kind of new to citrus trees, trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you for your advice its greatly appreciated.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 10:36:51 AM »
The cause of the "deficiency" is not iron, it is manganese.  The deficiency symptoms between iron and manganese do have somewhat similar symptoms, and can cause some confusion.  An iron deficiency symptom  shows NEW leaves with green veins on otherwise yellow leaves with NO border green areas around the vein. The deficiency symptoms for manganese are, newest leaves with green veins WITH GREEN BORDERS to the sides of the veins, on otherwise yellowing  leaves.  Manganese leaf deficiency symptoms are very often transient, and are due to the marginal supply of available manganese in most soils, which thee tree's roots temporarily are unable to extract enough manganese to supply the growing new leaves. The tree almost always takes care of it self as it adjusts to its new location. I've been growing citrus for 30 years and have never needed to intervene in this transit deficiency.  What you are seeing is common.  If you wish, an application of manganese sulfate, or manganese nitrate will also resolve the situation, but most growers don't bother.

You can begin fertilizing the tree two weeks after planting.  A new 1 and 2 year old tree should be fertilized 4 times during the growing season between early spring and September, equally spaced out through this time..   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:44:43 AM by Millet »

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 07:14:27 PM »
Lime won't survive freezes of Houston unless protected
for every freeze. I live near Sugar Land.