Author Topic: Okay, weird... which of my plants gave me this??  (Read 1723 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Okay, weird... which of my plants gave me this??
« on: May 12, 2020, 11:25:07 AM »
So... I'm baffled. While caring for my plants, I found this fruit on the ground. It had been stepped on and was highly mangled, so I don't know what it originally was.  But some key characteristics can be seen - the four-pointed puckered shape at the bottom, red skin, soft / juicy orange flesh, and a single large round seed. There was enough of the flesh left unmangled for me to try it - it tasted very much like plum.

My first thought was strawberry guava. It was right next to a plant that (at least according to my records, and certainly by appearance) is strawberry guava, and it's been blooming a lot recently for the first time. I hadn't seen any fruit on it, but another one of my strawberry guavas has its first immature green fruit on it (tiny little plant, I'm amazed that it can hold fruit!).  But beyond the flesh being wrong, strawberry guava has small seeds, not a single large one.

The single large seed makes me think eugenia. Indeed, there was also a rainforest plum right next to it. But it's another tiny, tiny little juvenile plant, maybe 15cm tall, and I hadn't seen it bloom. Certainly doesn't look like a ripe rainforest plum.  But maybe half ripe?

My acerola is fruiting, and it overhangs a bunch of other plants, and the fruit could roll.  But that certainly doesn't look like acerola, esp. since acerola has three irregular seeds per fruit.

There's so many other plants on overhanging shelves or overhanging or growing around generally around the room, but apart from some capsicums, none have visibly flowered or fruited, and most are varieties that one can rule right out, like cocona, garcinias, jackfruit, lychee, passiflora, palms, mangoes, coffee, tamarind, physalis, mamey, annonas, citrus, and on and on and on (it'd take some time to compile an exhaustive list). 

(There's no possibility that this was some sort of supermarket fruit, as I haven't been to the supermarket since March  :)  ).

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:30:04 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, weird... which of my plants gave me this??
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 11:46:03 AM »
Looks like a pitanga.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 12:09:21 PM »
Looks like a pitanga.

I didn't notice any sign of ribbing (though hard to tell given how mangled it was). No obvious tannic taste.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 01:44:43 PM »

I circled what look like remnants of ribs to me.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 03:53:45 PM »
It looks very much like pitanga. If you're in Florida or an area that has lots of these, birds can carry them around. Could've dropped overhead or something potentially.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 06:40:13 PM »
It looks very much like pitanga. If you're in Florida or an area that has lots of these, birds can carry them around. Could've dropped overhead or something potentially.

Hehe, I'm in Iceland. These plants live in a room that never sees the sun - not even through a window.  The only bird that could possibly have access to them is a tame amazon parrot  ;)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 06:46:04 PM »
You didn't list pitanga as one of the things you have (unless the rainforest plum is really a pitanga. I have had mine flower and the fruit fell before I even saw it...), so you may need to rule that one out, and also rule out birds, unless a puffin brought you something!
I am leaning more towards the acerola due to the color and shape.  Is it possible that the fruit doesn't ALWAYS have three seeds?  Coffee will make one, two or three seeds. 
Maybe it is a little mutant fruit... Plant it!!!

Cheers,
Carolyn

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 06:57:45 PM »
I did indeed plant it - the leaves when / if it comes up should be enlightening! 

Acerola seeds are also lumpy and irregular... that seed certainly doesn't look like one. Acerola is also more floral-tasting, while this was like plum.

My main reason to doubt pitanga (apart from not having it on my registrar) was that the flesh wasn't tannic (at least the little bite I got!).  BUT, a new possibility occurred. There is also a this unregistered plant growing right nearby:

I had always just assumed it's a Psidium (and haven't seen it flower), but if I'm not mistaken, that might be a match for pitanga  :)  I did get a batch-o'-eugenias a few years back so its possible this might be from that.  Main difference I see with E. uniflora is that mine's leaves are dark and not particularly glossy.

(It's easy to forget and neglect as it's grown as a low sprawler!)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:02:12 PM by KarenRei »

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 11:42:05 PM »
Culprit discovered (just got another one, more on the way): Eugenia reinwardtiana / Cedar Bay Cherry.  :)

Remarkable how much it tastes like plum. Only real criticism is I'd like a better flesh to seed ratio.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 01:22:09 AM »
Culprit discovered (just got another one, more on the way): Eugenia reinwardtiana / Cedar Bay Cherry.  :)

Remarkable how much it tastes like plum. Only real criticism is I'd like a better flesh to seed ratio.
Have you tryed a plum X apricot cultivar?
These hibrids are on par with mango probably betteer as i live in a temperate place,i have a big such hibrid tree and i eat like 2-3 fruits per year from the tree while mango i ate houndreds in a year from supermarket.
The hibrid tree is soo good all the fruits get eaten before i do,even the half rotten one that fall from the tree are eaten.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk