Author Topic: A big type of starfruit  (Read 4458 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
A big type of starfruit
« on: January 06, 2014, 02:54:43 AM »

My giant siam or thai giant starfruit is loaded with big fruit at the moment and they are extra sweet and tasty. Being pale they can be eaten greener than most types and are very large. These two are over 600g and 23cm long. I find starfruit the most heavily producing of my fruit trees.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Re: A big type of starfruit
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 03:35:36 AM »
Very big! As always, thanks for sharing the photos
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 04:09:07 AM »
Seems a shame, all those seeds just going to waste... 8)

How true to type is carambola from seed, anyway? I have a Kary seedling which is doing well, too young to fruit though.

Hope you ended up with some rain today.

s
Arpeggiated Minor Sevenths: They're pretty, and they'll make women want to have sex with you.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 08:05:26 AM »

My giant siam or thai giant starfruit is loaded with big fruit at the moment and they are extra sweet and tasty. Being pale they can be eaten greener than most types and are very large. These two are over 600g and 23cm long. I find starfruit the most heavily producing of my fruit trees.

Nice fruit, nice pic.  Do they all have the undulating fins? One seems to have more than the other. At least, from the picture it looks that way.  I see fin undulation here in some of my larger carambolas, but seems to not be on the normal sized fruits.  I'm thinking this might be a size related characteristic.  What do you think?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 08:20:42 AM »
Haus come to think of it maybe you are right about big ones being more wavy. Some of this types don't have it much. In fwang tung the big ones nearly all have wavy fins.

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 08:39:46 AM »
Those are big Mike.  Was almost tempted to buy a tree recently, but at $50 for a small tree, was too pricey for me.  Looking at your pic almost has me regretting my decision though.
kimi

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 09:24:46 AM »
they look exactly like fwang tung...I wonder what the difference is?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 09:42:47 AM »
I bought a "sweet" one some weeks ago but it tasted the same as the old variety's. I would like to taste this one to compare and learn what is called sweet.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 04:09:27 PM »
Saff, fwang tung has wider thinner wings, is les solid through the center and is less elongate. It is also softer fleshed and less pointed than this type but there are definite similarities.
Bk from the starfruit I have had in Thailand there are lots of sourish and bland types and that is what is usually on sale.Some sours look like they will taste great but are more like bilimbis. I have had truly sweet ones but all the commercial and common types in America and Australia are genuinely sweet.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 04:55:42 PM »
those are monsters Mike!  I always get some really huge Bell's from my tree but I don't believe ever around 600 grams.  Here's one I just picked.  It weighed in at 440 grams(just shy of a pound).  Straight fins on this one but I have seen wavy ones from it before.

A lone sugar apple that was left over from a very late and odd bloom.  Normally these taste wonderful.  This one tasted like crap.  Texture was off as well.  Not sure what may have caused this.  Oh well.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 05:37:18 PM »
Everything is bigger in Australia! The Texas of Oceania?  ;)  I have a seedling starfruit tree that has huge fruits, not quite that big, but very close. Yes the big ones tend to get more wavy fins.
We have so many thousands of these fruits we don't usually pay them much attention. This year the crop was unusually large. Dried a bunch and they were incredibly good tasting, much better than usual. I think this was first year they got some fert. and they really rewarded me for that extra TLC.  :) I also made some starfruit chili sauce that was very nice! As well as the usual gallons of juice. There are still a few fruits on the trees. So a full 4 months of starfruit birrage!  :)
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 06:09:35 PM »
I bought a "sweet" one some weeks ago but it tasted the same as the old variety's. I would like to taste this one to compare and learn what is called sweet.

Having tasted the winter crop from Mike's trees I can say these are very sweet. Quite a different sweet to the orange/yellow types, which have a unique taste like watered down apricot honey. These have almost like a lemonade taste. They are meaty too - just one of those and breakfast is done.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 07:02:30 PM »

Having tasted the winter crop from Mike's trees I can say these are very sweet. Quite a different sweet to the orange/yellow types, which have a unique taste like watered down apricot honey. These have almost like a lemonade taste. They are meaty too - just one of those and breakfast is done.

Then i got the wrong one again, i also saw them in Foodland and called sweet and expensive so i will try them as well. I wonder what the Thai do with them because they won't eat fruits that are not sweet. Or maybe they dip them in sugar and chili but that's not my style of eating fruits.

They sure look huge but so do the ones here sometimes.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 12:31:02 AM »
What did Crocodile Dundee say? "That's not a" starfruit, "This is a" STARFRUIT.

Crocodile Dundee - That's not a knife
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:16:26 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2021, 05:41:41 AM »

I still have the tree and this is the first fruit of the summer season and they sure are sweeter than the winter crop.While I tested the fruit of around 20 varieties for taste with fwang tung, B17 and giant siam being the winners, I chopped down my B17 tree. It was too big and giant siam tastes a little bit better.After living a productive life the giant siam tree will probably be chopped down soon also unless I suddenly get interested in starfruit again. It doesn't matter if it is the best type in my opinion it might have to be a team player and make way for new recruits.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 01:30:27 AM »
Big, and wavy too!
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 02:33:47 AM »
I saw someone else's tree a few years ago and it had wavy winged fruit also and I don't know if it is a local selection of the variety. They seem to range between 1lb and 2lbs and are 7 to 10 inches long making them too big for commercial growing. Smaller and more orange varieties are preferred here commercially like the B series arkin and a few others. They seem to have a citrussy and floral quality absent in most others. Fwang tung also taste alright but have thin wings and not much colour so are not favoured commercially.