Author Topic: Has anyone done business with Oasis Tropical Plants and Trees  (Read 7410 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Has anyone done business with Oasis Tropical Plants and Trees
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »
I have been looking for a Seville Sour Orange they have it at Oasis Tropical Plants. Its not cheap, I was wondering if any one has had experience with them?

http://www.oasistropicalplantsandtrees4u.com/sour-orange-seville-dwarf-citrus-tree--2-ages-and-multiple-tree-deal2.html

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone done business with Oasis Tropical Plants and Trees
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »
Have you called Lara Farms to see if they had Seville or another sour orange cultivar? Not sure if they sell citrus, but it's worth a try since they are in the redlands area which is not too far from you. 
Alexi

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:42:33 PM »
Have you called Lara Farms to see if they had Seville or another sour orange cultivar? Not sure if they sell citrus, but it's worth a try since they are in the redlands area which is not too far from you.
I was there a few days ago. to pickup a gefner atemoya and no sour orange. Old Lara gave me a tasty pace mamey.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 06:15:08 PM »
I was there a few days ago. to pickup a gefner atemoya and no sour orange. Old Lara gave me a tasty pace mamey.

Nice. Have you thought of buying a mamey tree also?  :) I've just checked the spykes tropical nursery website since they have a large citrus inventory, but they have no sour oranges.  If you can't find the tree anywhere else, then get the tree from that website.  I have no experience with that nursery so I would wait for more responses or see if you could look up customer reviews of that nursery in google .
Alexi

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Tim

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:37:01 PM »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 06:40:16 PM »

Nice. Have you thought of buying a mamey tree also?  :) I've just checked the spykes tropical nursery website since they have a large citrus inventory, but they have no sour oranges.  If you can't find the tree anywhere else, then get the tree from that website.  I have no experience with that nursery so I would wait for more responses or see if you could look up customer reviews of that nursery in google .

Alexi I do have a mamey tree in the grove but every year it gets beat up by the cold. It's a Key West. Next year I plan to clear a section of the grove to plant about 20 fruit trees so I'll be doing serious planning to pick 20 diverse fruit trees.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:11:11 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 07:18:03 PM »
Suggestions:

Mameys, Sapotes or Nisperos, Mangoes, and more Mameys.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 09:46:49 PM »
It has been said befre and i will say it agwin, citrus trees can NOT be shipped frm outsideb the state of Florida into Florida.

Carlos - i am still looking for you but you might want to look at a current issue of Plantfinder magazine.  If you can't track the magazine down before Saturday, i will check for you then and let you know.
- Rob

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 09:56:42 PM »
While we're discussing import restrictions...

Edible figs (Ficus carica) had been added to the quarantine list for ACP in California in April 2012. They found the bug inhabiting a tree back in 2010 and took some time to confirm it as a host and that the insects weren't just passing by.

Here's the published paper.
http://journals.fcla.edu/flaent/article/view/76736/74317

Here's the page with the updated list.
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/regs_acp.html#E1

natsgarden123

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 10:22:51 PM »
I have been looking for a Seville Sour Orange they have it at Oasis Tropical Plants. Its not cheap, I was wondering if any one has had experience with them?

http://www.oasistropicalplantsandtrees4u.com/sour-orange-seville-dwarf-citrus-tree--2-ages-and-multiple-tree-deal2.html

Do not order from them:  I tried ordering and the guy emailed me that they don't have the item but that they will have it soon. The emails were really weird; The guy said he was some sort of doctor or something.. I received 4 emails like that in a week-seemed fishy. They finally refunded my money.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »

Do not order from them:  I tried ordering and the guy emailed me that they don't have the item but that they will have it soon. The emails were really weird; The guy said he was some sort of doctor or something.. I received 4 emails like that in a week-seemed fishy. They finally refunded my money.
Thanks for the info. I got a similar email from a Phd. That's why I decided to inquire.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 01:31:31 AM »
To answer the subject question -------------------
http://www.bananas.org/f2/oasis-tropical-plants-trees-joke-company-15129.html

Bottom line --- caveat emptor
Dan

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 07:13:50 AM »
To answer the subject question -------------------
http://www.bananas.org/f2/oasis-tropical-plants-trees-joke-company-15129.html

Bottom line --- caveat emptor

Thanks Dan that link has all the info I need to skip this one. The search for Seville Orange continues.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

jwlw24

• Love The Tropical's!!!!
    • united states
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 02:44:49 PM »
I have done a lot of business with them for years. So has many of my family and friends. They have a beautiful nursery and a huge selection in stock and the trees are always really large and healthy.  The last order I made about a month ago I bought  a meyer lemon, gold nugget mandarin, washington navel and a bearrs seedless lime. I bought the older ones, and all of them had baby fruits or flowers on them. Also, just to let everyone know, the dr. You are talking about is the owner and a really nice guy. He really knows what he is talking about and always answered my questions well. Anyways, I just thought would let the members here know our experience, I guess its just a matter of opinion :)

Jim
Jim & Laura W.

jwlw24

• united states
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 02:48:49 PM »
Also, I to add hi everyone and glad to find a cool website and forum!!!! Make sure too that you don't buy from somewhere that sells citrus trees from outside Florida, my neighbor got busted for doing that and got a nice healthy fine for it........
Jim & Laura W.

jwlw24

• united states
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »
Quick question for all you experienced members.... does anyone know where to find olive trees and avocado trees from a good nursery? I have been looking all over and not sure where to go. Any help or direction would be much appreciated, thank you in advance:)
Jim & Laura W.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 04:00:16 PM »
Where are you located?  Please update your profile with city, state and zone.

Your responses above make it sound like you are an owner, relative or employee of that nursery.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:01:59 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

jwlw24

• united states
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 04:43:24 PM »
I live in Palm Beach, Florida, 33407, USDA zone 10b.  First and foremost, NO, I am NOT a friend, a relative or an employee. I found this forum in common interest with everyone else on here, tropical fruits. Nothing more, nothing less.  All I was doing was posting an honest review of my experience with them. Just because I post something on the positive side instead of negative surely doesnt make someone what you posted in your reply.  Its truly not fair to assume anything about somebody, especially before you give them a chance to know them. You know what they say about assumption......... Again, I apologize if I offended you in anyway by posting my dealings with them, along with close friends. In addition, I am not defending them or representing them in any way or any manner, their business is their business and none of mine. How they run their business is their decision and their issues, and can really care less, as long as I am happy with my purchases.

Jim & Laura W.
Jim & Laura W.

jwlw24

• united states
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 04:45:54 PM »
Anyways, on a more positive note, I am excited to join the forum and really look forward to learning from you folks, and would still appreciate if someone can refer me to a decent nursery that sells olive and avocado trees.
Jim & Laura W.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »
I just made the statement for no other reason except for being a new member and the way you replied.  Did not mean anything by it, sometimes things act like a duck, sound like a duck...

Anyway, welcome to the joint :) .  You have a couple of excellent places to purchase tropical fruit trees right in your back yard.  Excalibur Fruit Trees has one of if not the largest selection of tropical fruit trees in the area and they are located in Lake Worth.  The have many avocado varieties available from 3gallon to 200 gallon sizes.  Olives do not do so well down here however they do have a few olive trees available.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:51:38 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

jwlw24

• united states
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 06:12:02 PM »
Thanks Rob for the response, it was really nice of you to write back. Also, thanks for reference to Excalibur, guess I am driving out there if they are open tomorrow. I am embarassed to say this, but I got screwed by a company out there called GROWQUEST, I ordered several olive trees and some grafted 3 in 1, 4 in 1 citrus trees and never seen a thing. The owner is absolutely nuts and actually freaked out on me and called me a bunch of not so friendly names when I asked where the trees were 5, yes 5 months later. So, if any one reads this just watch out if you order from them. I am not going to say a bunch of negative things about them, hopefully I was just an exception and no one else got ripped off. Anyways, thanks again Rob, and looking forward to learning more and more on this site. Have a great weekend everyone :-*
Jim & Laura W.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 06:57:28 PM »
Thanks Rob for the response, it was really nice of you to write back. Also, thanks for reference to Excalibur, guess I am driving out there if they are open tomorrow. I am embarassed to say this, but I got screwed by a company out there called GROWQUEST, I ordered several olive trees and some grafted 3 in 1, 4 in 1 citrus trees and never seen a thing. The owner is absolutely nuts and actually freaked out on me and called me a bunch of not so friendly names when I asked where the trees were 5, yes 5 months later. So, if any one reads this just watch out if you order from them. I am not going to say a bunch of negative things about them, hopefully I was just an exception and no one else got ripped off. Anyways, thanks again Rob, and looking forward to learning more and more on this site. Have a great weekend everyone :-*
I just sent you a message...look at the top of the page and click on "messages".
- Rob