Author Topic: Air Layering, level : Legendary  (Read 2643 times)

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile

jako9403

Re: Air Layering, level : Legendary
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 08:28:37 AM »
Oh damn!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 04:25:42 PM »
That’s the largest air layer I’ve ever seen. Thanks for sharing!

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 05:18:27 AM »
Super giant air layers potted into small bags? See starting minute 10. Don't see what the advantage would be? Seems very difficult to establish, hold upright, and then to transplant. I guess those are mangoes?
Oscar

Reafs

• Guadeloupe, French Caribbean Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 06:00:59 AM »
Super giant air layers potted into small bags? See starting minute 10. Don't see what the advantage would be? Seems very difficult to establish, hold upright, and then to transplant. I guess those are mangoes?

I totally agree, although it’s worth knowing you can do it that large I don’t  understand the purpose but guess it’s not my business
Yohann

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 06:03:02 AM »

Mangoes, and they are also adding "roots" to airlayered part. Goal is to make some big trees from one realy big, I guess for sale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm0tBRMNahc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aASOM4R8VN0
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 06:11:53 AM by Radoslav »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 05:00:49 PM »

I totally agree, although it’s worth knowing you can do it that large I don’t  understand the purpose but guess it’s not my business

I guess that's Indonesia? Maybe some of our foreign members can explain what is being said? Can you imagine what would happen to mother tree after cutting so many limbs that size?  :o
Oscar

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 05:51:10 PM »
Well, the advantage would be planting mature wood that is ready to fruit quickly. Perhaps the donor trees needed severe pruning or were unwanted. It looks like they are using coconut coir for the rooting media. I think the word cangkok means airlayer because searches on youtube using that keyword produce many more examples.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 02:23:38 AM »
Well, the advantage would be planting mature wood that is ready to fruit quickly. Perhaps the donor trees needed severe pruning or were unwanted. It looks like they are using coconut coir for the rooting media. I think the word cangkok means airlayer because searches on youtube using that keyword produce many more examples.
It's true that bigger air layers fruit quicker. Yes they must be trying to either radically prune or destroy the mother tree by taking so many big limbs.
Oscar

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 03:31:41 AM »
It's true that bigger air layers fruit quicker. Yes they must be trying to either radically prune or destroy the mother tree by taking so many big limbs.

They call this practice " production of dwarf trees", which I really doubt can work for more than few years, the air layered tree will be big after years too .

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 03:57:31 AM »
Yes, he is from the Middle Java island, Indonesia. Basically on the entire 1st video above he mostly talked about the result of his work he did on very large limbs:
-Showing how the new root have developed on his larger than their thighs air layering.
-Yes, coco peet was being used, alternately he could also use soil gathered from under a “jambu” tree.
-The tight plastic wrapping on top of the bag was intended to prevent water from coming in.
- The water added to the newly transplanted tree into the green nursery bag is also to help make the soil more compact.

On the 2nd video: he’s giving narrative on how his air layering method is being done step by step, while his assistant showing the viewers how he did it with his thorough and detailed video so we can easily follow what he was doing.
On the 3rd video, he showed his special double layer of “multi approach graftings”, using 10 young roots from seedlings!

On other videos of his works that I watched, he also said that:
-Yes, his intention is to speed up the fruiting process, (he sells those trees) besides strengthening the root of the tree with multiple “approach grafts’s” like.
-The smaller roots he attached to the mother trees are from seedlings.
-He sells multi grafted trees on a more typically sized trees with airlayer/multiapproach roots process included.
-His trees will not only fruits a lot faster and stronger but will also have low hanging fruits…
Sam

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 05:27:34 PM »
Yes, he is from the Middle Java island, Indonesia. Basically on the entire 1st video above he mostly talked about the result of his work he did on very large limbs:
-Showing how the new root have developed on his larger than their thighs air layering.
-Yes, coco peet was being used, alternately he could also use soil gathered from under a “jambu” tree.
-The tight plastic wrapping on top of the bag was intended to prevent water from coming in.
- The water added to the newly transplanted tree into the green nursery bag is also to help make the soil more compact.

On the 2nd video: he’s giving narrative on how his air layering method is being done step by step, while his assistant showing the viewers how he did it with his thorough and detailed video so we can easily follow what he was doing.
On the 3rd video, he showed his special double layer of “multi approach graftings”, using 10 young roots from seedlings!

On other videos of his works that I watched, he also said that:
-Yes, his intention is to speed up the fruiting process, (he sells those trees) besides strengthening the root of the tree with multiple “approach grafts’s” like.
-The smaller roots he attached to the mother trees are from seedlings.
-He sells multi grafted trees on a more typically sized trees with airlayer/multiapproach roots process included.
-His trees will not only fruits a lot faster and stronger but will also have low hanging fruits…
Thanks for taking the time to give a condensed translation of the videos.
Oscar

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 12:37:21 AM »
Thanks Samu!
-Chris