Author Topic: when ro plant out snakeskin fruit?  (Read 1217 times)

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
when ro plant out snakeskin fruit?
« on: July 22, 2019, 01:33:11 AM »
Worried a bit about them getting scorched in the sun.  Is it possible to plant them out in open fields, without shade?  Or should i plant some papayas (easier to kill than bananas) around each one?

They are only about 7 months old so maybe too small still.

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
Re: when ro plant out snakeskin fruit?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 05:01:36 AM »
I'm interested to hear what the experts say.

The Salacca I planted in the shade (of Guava) are green and lush. The ones I planted in the full sun have grown OK, but look very washed out. I thinned the guava so that the shade was not too much.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 10:07:15 AM »
Salak can be planted out once it has 4-5 leaves.  In nature it grows as an understory plant and likes shade.  But, lots of shade is going to slow down development.  Some farms limit shade completely and use lots of fertilizer, more sun more fertilizer. 
We grow salak in light shade, you certainly see shadows.  In our climate it can begin flowering in 3 years.
I have 3 species and 2 varieties of salacca salacca and the culture seems the same.
Peter

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 01:54:17 PM »
Salak can be planted out once it has 4-5 leaves.  In nature it grows as an understory plant and likes shade.  But, lots of shade is going to slow down development.  Some farms limit shade completely and use lots of fertilizer, more sun more fertilizer. 
We grow salak in light shade, you certainly see shadows.  In our climate it can begin flowering in 3 years.
I have 3 species and 2 varieties of salacca salacca and the culture seems the same.
Peter
are you growing dwarf Bali salak by chance? I got seeds of it which have started growing nicely. I might replace my other salaks in ground with it since it's supposed to only need one plant to fruit.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 02:54:36 PM »
mountainous areas get more shade cover, so a few 'dust/wind' breaks from tall trees will help with enough additional shade. 

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 04:20:45 PM »
I do have a Bali salak.  Yes, it could really reduce space and labor.  It’s flowering in less than 3 years but it is my newest salak and I’m waiting to analyze the results.
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk