Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211493 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado 24/7 Thread
« Reply #575 on: March 04, 2019, 08:53:24 AM »
Certainly not an improvement over the grazing and natural fields.  It IS an improvement over the increasing development and housing that covers those grazing lands.  Our local university which has always been agriculture oriented offers many classes on enology and viticulture.  Perhaps a degree.  Times are changing.
Gotcha.  Native grasses in California before the Spanish arrived really protected the land, sadly now extinct.  I read recently that (area of) California had more indigenous people than the rest of the U.S. area combined.  Really was a bountiful paradise!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:27:02 PM by johnb51 »
John

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #576 on: April 21, 2019, 07:10:58 PM »
My ridge is 18' which is good for the trees, a bitch when it comes to heating that much cubic feet. We have a hard freeze come next morn - 22F.  My new heater and alarm are ready.

I'm contemplating building something similar to grow avocados. I'm in the Santa Barbara mountains, just at the border line where citrus and avocado grows. We have the highest (in altitude) Laurel Soumac around on our property and that's an old indicator plant... Anyway, How do you expect the 18' to work out? Did you find info on whether it's possible to keep an avo tree to that height and still have it bear enough fruit to be worthwhile? Any specific varieties that work better? I haven't done an exhaustive search yet...

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 21, 2019, 08:33:41 PM »
I have an observation about the original post on page 1 of the thread. Last season I was able to get six months of avocado with earliest being Mexicola and latest Choquette. The last of the Choquette dropped immediately before our usual spring bloom here and I had let those fruit hang as long as possible. As a result the Choquette trees did not bloom with the rest and don't appear like they will bloom this year.

So, if you have a similar situation you may need to have multiple trees of your latest variety and pick at least one of those early since the one you use to hold fruit very late will be taking a year off.

Has anyone else had this problem or found another way around it?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 21, 2019, 11:38:32 PM »
I have an observation about the original post on page 1 of the thread. Last season I was able to get six months of avocado with earliest being Mexicola and latest Choquette. The last of the Choquette dropped immediately before our usual spring bloom here and I had let those fruit hang as long as possible. As a result the Choquette trees did not bloom with the rest and don't appear like they will bloom this year.

So, if you have a similar situation you may need to have multiple trees of your latest variety and pick at least one of those early since the one you use to hold fruit very late will be taking a year off.

Has anyone else had this problem or found another way around it?
I'm wondering if Choquette is alternate-bearing anyway.  My friend's tree seemed to be.
John

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 22, 2019, 08:02:33 AM »

I'm wondering if Choquette is alternate-bearing anyway.  My friend's tree seemed to be.
Yes, it is known to be alternate.

(Guat.x W.I.) Tree orig.on place of R.D.Choquette, Miami, FL from seed of unknown origin planted in Jan1929.Fruited first in 1934, propagated 1939. Heavy bearing. Fruit season Jan.-Mar.;color, dark green; weight 30-40 ozs.; shape oval; skin, nearly smooth, glossy & somewhat leathery; good quality; oil content 13%. Seed, med., tight in cavity. Fairly resistant to disease. Chiefly for home planting. Certified 1942.(CAS Yearbook 1950)Orig. in Miami, FL, by R.D. Choquette.Introd. 1939.Guat.xWest Ind. types;selected in1934 from seed sown in 1929.Fruit:30-40 oz;oval;skin nearly smooth, glossy, dark green, leathery; flesh thick, yellow; seed size med., tight in cavity; oil content 13%, quality very good; season Jan. to Mar. Tree: alternate bearing habit; resistant to common avocado diseases. Of major commercial importance in FL. Flower group A. (B&O Register) (orig. in Miami from seed planted in 1929; propagated in 1939); oval; lg.; skin glossy, smooth, slightly leathery; flesh of good quality, 13%oil; seed med. tight. Season: Jan.-Mar. Tree bears heavily in alternate yrs. (J.Morton 1987)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 22, 2019, 08:17:49 AM »
Regarding alternate bearing, I found this in depth discussion of the problem and possible strategies.

This stands out:

Alternate (biennial) and irregular bearing are encoded in the avocado genome. Millions of years of evolution in montane highland tropical to subtropical (Guatemalan and Mexican 'races' or subspecies) and lowland tropical rainforests (West Indian 'race' or subspecies) probably resulted in occasional mast fruiting.......Alternate and irregular bearing are embedded in the avocado genome through evolutionary adaptation to montane cloud forest environments in Mexico and Central America.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268396291_Alternate_bearing_in_avocado_an_overview

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 21, 2019, 01:26:28 AM »
Congrats to ‘Spaugh’ on your achieving ‘Avocado 24/7.’ And, for leading the way.

‘Avocado 24/7’ will also happen in Florida in one or two ways, IMO:

(1) Naturally; by Cultivar Propagation; seedling; Or, it may never happen naturally. And,

(2) Artificially; Avocado genome manipulation (via CRISPR Technology); timeframe of less than 14 years; 7 (years) X 2 = 14 years; Reliable Experts believe AGI (Artificial General Intelligence) will arrive in 7 years. Plus, a guesstimate of 7 more years to Master and analyze ALL the Avocado Cultivars Genomes on the Planet. It’s all just Data. It’s all really very simple for an AGI.

Ive achieved avo 24/7 here in CA.  Havent bought any for over a year. 

Sir Prize is in season now.  This is maybe my favorite avocado. 

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 02:39:31 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 21, 2019, 01:43:31 AM »
I got the first, 'Jan Boyce' variety, avocado fruit!

About 3 years ago, Carlos (the Avocado Doctor) gave me a grafted, high quality fruit tree, potted Avocado variety called 'Jan Boyce', to see how it would do in my home-yard.

Story: the 'Jan Boyce' avocado tree grew to about 12 feet high. Then, a hurricane chopped it off above the graft. It’s now grown again to a height of about 12 feet. And, here are 2 pictures of the very first fruit (Picture Date: May 16, 2019):

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 02:06:18 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 21, 2019, 08:19:15 AM »

About 3 years ago, Carlos (the Avocado Doctor) gave me a grafted, high quality fruit tree, potted Avocado variety called 'Jan Boyce', to see how it would do in my home-yard.

Story: the 'Jan Boyce' avocado tree grew to about 12 feet high. Then, a hurricane chopped it off above the graft. It’s now grown again to a height of about 12 feet. And, here are 2 pictures of the very first fruit (Picture Date: May 16, 2019):

Congradulations!  Please post a fruit quality report!  I grafted 2 sticks of JB recently.  Am really hoping they take.

You guys were cursed with that last hurricane.  I know Carlos took a pretty  bad hit.  Is he still in it commercially?

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 21, 2019, 02:47:09 PM »
My Avocado trees...

Bacon 

Fuerte

Stewart plants

This one died to the ground and resprout. I will use to graft with several diferent varieties...

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 22, 2019, 12:02:15 AM »
what's in season right now? My neighbor has a huge tree, not sure if it's seedling or if it's an old cv

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 24, 2019, 01:35:56 AM »
Thank You ‘Mark in Texas’ for the Congrats. I will give an update on the ‘Jan Boyce’ avocado fruit quality at my location.

And, Thank You Carlos, for selecting for me the ‘Jan Boyce’ variety, and for this interesting avocado fruit adventure.

Now on my radar: It will likely take some time to get an idea on the Abundance and yearly Consistence of fruit production for the ‘Jan Boyce’ avocado at my location.

Congradulations!  Please post a fruit quality report!  I grafted 2 sticks of JB recently.  Am really hoping they take.

You guys were cursed with that last hurricane.  I know Carlos took a pretty  bad hit.  Is he still in it commercially?

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 24, 2019, 02:01:53 AM »
This is the very first fruit production of my ‘Oro Negro’ Avocado variety. I would describe it as a heavy production; I decided to get this variety because I have often heard Carlos (the Avocado Expert) favorably mention it. | (Photo Date: 05-16-2019)

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 24, 2019, 09:08:12 AM »
This is the very first fruit production of my ‘Oro Negro’ Avocado variety. I would describe it as a heavy production; I decided to get this variety because I have often heard Carlos (the Avocado Expert) favorably mention it. | (Photo Date: 05-16-2019)

Nice looking tree!

Even though I'm growing in a greenhouse before the big freeze my ON was a heavy producer.  Fruit isn't up to the quality of SoCal fruits but it's still worth planting.  With the freeze die back it now hosts Lamb Hass, Pinkerton, quite a few Sharwil grafts/branches and if all goes well the Jan Boyce will take.  Grafted late last year it's now 7' H X 8' W.

Here's a few in March 2017 with some Meyer lemons.  Apparently you folks in S. Florida start harvesting early winter.  Mine weren't ready until March.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 24, 2019, 10:39:43 AM »

Nice looking tree!

Even though I'm growing in a greenhouse before the big freeze my ON was a heavy producer.  Fruit isn't up to the quality of SoCal fruits but it's still worth planting.  With the freeze die back it now hosts Lamb Hass, Pinkerton, quite a few Sharwil grafts/branches and if all goes well the Jan Boyce will take.  Grafted late last year it's now 7' H X 8' W.

Here's a few in March 2017 with some Meyer lemons.  Apparently you folks in S. Florida start harvesting early winter.  Mine weren't ready until March.

Here in northern California my meyer has light crops most of the year, heaviest being around summer and early january?
-Kris

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 24, 2019, 11:04:21 AM »
Here in northern California my meyer has light crops most of the year, heaviest being around summer and early january?

Twice a year?  If I want my Meyers on the tart side I harvest a few in Dec.  If I want them fully ripe I harvest in March.  They store well. Just grabbed one from the fridge and cut it to make a drink.  Was in perfect shape.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 24, 2019, 11:33:32 AM »
I have probably three crops on mine right now, and just got a few off it a month ago... it's a good producer for sure. I don't like how they taste when stored off the tree.
-Kris

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 03, 2019, 12:04:33 AM »
Impressive Success, Congrats!

Nice looking tree!

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 03, 2019, 08:46:42 AM »
It’s happening, Avocado Varieties will be improved through genome manipulation and genetic engineering: Expect year round ripe avocados.

The genome of the Hass avocado (and others) has been sequenced:

“... In sum, our work paves the way for genomics-assisted avocado improvement”

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/654285v1.full?%3Fcollection=

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 03, 2019, 09:48:47 AM »
Sheesh, that's like reading some Medicine Journal talking about a new endocrine chemical derivative.  :D

First of two Jan Boyce grafts pushing.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 15, 2019, 06:02:50 PM »
Very nice & healthy looking graft- good luck

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 15, 2019, 06:32:31 PM »
If the details of this article are accurate about the new ‘Carla’ avocado variety, then Florida residents could enjoy eating Florida grown avocados year round, just like California residents do with their avocados.

“Newspaper: Miami Herald |
Section: BUSINESS |
Florida lawsuit over rights to the tasty ‘Carla’ avocado ends with a public apology
BY DAVID OVALLE  JUNE 13, 2019 04:32 PM

... The Carla avocado is generally higher in oil content, which gives it a richer taste closer to the Haas than Florida green skins. The tree also produces fruit later and longer than similar species, and can be harvested from February into early June, well after the Florida growing season ...”

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article231518258.html

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 16, 2019, 09:38:14 AM »
I tasted a few Carla this year and found them to be a typical West Indian avocado.  Neither the oil content nor the flavor were above average for W.I. avocados.  They don't come close to Hass.
John

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 16, 2019, 10:39:54 AM »
I tasted a few Carla this year and found them to be a typical West Indian avocado.  Neither the oil content nor the flavor were above average for W.I. avocados.  They don't come close to Hass.

Have never figured out why you folks don't grow Reed.  :o It's VERY rich in oil, takes heat and cold very well, has a thick peel so anthracnose should not be a problem.  Many consider it the finest avocado in the states.  My tree often takes temps up to 103F in the greenhouse, survived a heater failure last year, 18F.  This is the tree yesterday before I topped it from about 14' down to around 9'.

It is self fruitful and is holding fruit now albeit blooming 2-3 months late this year. 

Are ya'll stuck with W. Indies types exclusively?  From what I've deduced after following Carlos' avocado trials for some time it seems the Guatemalan/Mexican hybrids don't like the clime of S. Florida.  Doesn't make sense to me unless disease pressures are the issue because Guat. and Mex. criollos are found in very hot and sometimes cold areas subject to freezing.

What's the parentage of Carla?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 16, 2019, 12:56:55 PM »
'REED' WAS ANOTHER PATENTED CALIFORNIA VARIETY INTRODUCED TO FLORIDA IN HOPES OF BEING A LATE SEASON SUCCESS. LOW PRODUCTION KEPT IT OUT OF THE LIMELIGHT AND MADE CHOQUETTE AND LULA THE PREFERRED FRUIT FOR LATE SEASON GROWERS.
Fruit Quality: 3 Stars
Production: 2 Stars
Crop Consistency: 3 Stars
Commercial Planting: 2 Stars
Home Planting: 2 Stars

According to PIN.  I wonder if it's been grown in SoFla outside of Homestead?
John