Author Topic: Citrus in the Pacific Northwest  (Read 66933 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus in the Pacific Northwest
« Reply #225 on: May 21, 2020, 08:17:48 PM »
Yuzu seedling, growing on own roots

growing very well now, lots of darker new leaves, and the old leaves look fairly healthy too.

May 21

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2020, 09:17:23 PM »
The new leaves on the Bloomsweet are really putting on some growth.

The Yuzu, Changsha, and Dunstan citrumelo are really taking off.
It's 81 degrees (F) right now and humid, feels like a jungle.

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2020, 04:46:21 AM »
Do any of the coldhardy citrus reliably ripen for you? Where I live, the absolute low isn't even that much of a problem but many varieties are just too late and then frost can take the fruit.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2020, 07:11:22 AM »
Getting fruit to ripen is an additional hurdle to clear toward the goal developing edible cold-hardy Citrus. Developing acid cultivars should be considerably easier than sweet ones. In northern regions Summers are often either too cool, or too short to accumulate adequate sugars.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2020, 02:14:05 PM »
Getting fruit to ripen is an additional hurdle to clear toward the goal developing edible cold-hardy Citrus. Developing acid cultivars should be considerably easier than sweet ones. In northern regions Summers are often either too cool, or too short to accumulate adequate sugars.
Well, the length of summer heat is certainly shorter than it is in other parts of the country, with the temperature being cool to cold throughout much of the year, but there certainly is plenty of heat here during the height of Summer. I feel like there are some unique factors going both for and against, in this climate.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 04, 2020, 08:13:53 PM »
Little Ichang papeda seedling putting out some new leaf growth, darker reddish color

seedling is only five inches high, growing on own roots, not grafted, survived in the ground through the winter

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 07, 2020, 04:12:42 PM »
Bloomsweet

The new leaves of the Bloomsweet have grown much bigger now, and there appears to be a new rapidly growing branch offshoot at the top.

Yuzu

Dunstan citrumelo

Both the Yuzu and Citrumelo are really taking off, lots of growth. They will probably get to be a very large bush size very soon.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2020, 05:53:46 PM »
Ichang papeda seedling

June 17, 2020

The darker reddish leaves are the new growth the seedling has put out so far this year.
This little seedling is growing in the ground, outside, survived the winter here unprotected.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2020, 02:34:31 PM »
Bloomsweet

The Bloomsweet is putting on some decent growth now, some big healthy looking leaves, and it seems to be recovering well.

small Ichang papeda seedling, the dark reddish new leaves have now turned green

Here's the small Yuzu seedling (on its own roots)

Changsha mandarin (on grafted rootstock, picture not shown) also is doing very well. planted in a sort of protected spot on south-facing side of house.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 02:41:49 PM by SoCal2warm »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 21, 2020, 02:39:52 PM »
Amazing, my Ten Degree Tangerine is finally beginning to put out some leaf growth, after last year not being able to put out any leaves (after the damage from the very cold winter).
I see a small little leaf beginning to grow on it, a real leaf, not just a green bud trying to leaf. There are about four little leaflets all together in a little bunch, just a little over half an inch long (1.5 cm). It really looks like these will be able to grow out this year.

July 21

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 21, 2020, 04:59:43 PM »
here's the Yuzu seedling, in ground

July 21

so far it has made it through two winters (well, actually two and a half sort of)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2020, 09:53:17 PM »
Your Yuzu look like it is coming along just fine.  A well balanced tree.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 22, 2020, 05:10:15 PM »
tiny Keraji seedling just beginning to put on new growth

This is the Ichangquat seedling. It hasn't really done much. The leaves from last year are still alive but do not really look the healthiest and are not a deep hue of green. It has not grown any new leaves so far this year, nor is there any sign of new green buds.

The leaves are green, more green than any other color, but a little bit pale and yellowish, though they have been recovering their green color hue over the past several months.

Here's a close up of some small new leaf growth coming out of the Ichangquat seedling that presumably had been pollinated by a citrumelo:

This had been growing inside, and then I planted it outside during late January. Some of the side branches died back and it defoliated, but it now seems to be starting to regrow.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 23, 2020, 04:03:26 PM »
This has been an unusual summer. We haven't had many hot days so far, in June or July. (writing this as of July 23)
It's 62 F right now, 1:00 in the middle of the day. Yesterday I had a wool sweater on.
The first half of June was downright cold, with a few days where the temperature didn't even get above 59 F.

This is probably not giving the citrus as much chance to put on growth.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #239 on: July 26, 2020, 01:58:18 PM »
Citrus won't grow with nights 55F or lower at least where I live near Houston

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 26, 2020, 05:35:06 PM »
Citrus won't grow with nights 55F or lower at least where I live near Houston
Well, you have to remember these are hardy varieties of citrus.

Nighttime low temperatures for the month of July have ranged between about 46 and 54, with two nights going down to 44.

I took the data for the nighttime lows for the first 15 days in the month of July, and got an average of 50.

Maybe citrus where you are do not deal with the widely fluctuating temperatures as well, since daytime temperatures in Texas (where you are) can get very hot.

By the way, it has just begun to finally warm up. Clear sunny days. Temperature right now at 2:30 in the middle of the day is 83 F.

I'm seeing some obvious growth on the tiny Keraji seedling now. Still no growth on the Ichangquat, but the leaves from last year appear to be greening up more, and I would guess they are functional.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:40:35 PM by SoCal2warm »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 27, 2020, 05:17:10 PM »
here's the leaf growth coming out of one spot on one of the little side branches of the Ten Degree Tangerine.

Again, it wasn't able to successfully put out any leaf growth last year, although it tried, so this is a good sign.

(Ten Degree is a cross between Clementine and Yuzu, for any of you who did not know)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 27, 2020, 05:35:50 PM »
Yuzu bush on grafted rootstock, doing very well

Bloomsweet, big healthy looking leaves

It's still not that big, needs more time to get established

Dunstan citrumelo

Doing pretty good, moderately vigorous

July 27, 2020

No fruits from these plants yet, they need to get bigger first

keeping them well watered, that's the secret to getting them to put on growth in the summer here, since conditions are now getting hot and dry

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 11, 2020, 12:01:32 PM »
here's the tiny keraji seedling, it's put on some noticeable growth over the last week, although still nothing impressive:

The Ichangquat still hasn't really done anything, still has its leaves from last year, but no new leaves. The leaves are green but not the healthiest color, still somewhat of a pale yellowish green:

The Ichang papeda (this one growing on own roots), leaves do not look the healthiest dark green color as well

But the other ichangquat seedling (picture not shown in this thread), that was presumably pollinated by a citrumelo, it has been growing out new leaf growth that is a dark green healthy color. Perhaps its leaves look healthier because they grew out later into the year, when temperatures have stayed consistently warmer.

August 11, 2020
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:05:50 PM by SoCal2warm »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 11, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »
I also have numerous Yuzu (both seedlings and ones grafted onto rootstock). They have all done very well. Even two of the ones that were grafted onto rootstock and left in containers outside during the cold (2018-2019) winter. After the winter, they did not look good, and I thought they might not survive, and would just decline until they finally died, but I planted them in the ground, and they both are putting out healthy leaf growth now. They seem to be on track to fully recover. Yuzu seems to be a vigorous growing variety and can easily recover here.

I would say that Yuzu is the best performing variety here (with only the possible exception of the Dunstan citrumelo).

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 17, 2020, 07:58:42 PM »
tiny Keraji seedling

Aug 17

put on a tiny bit more growth

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 19, 2020, 03:44:07 PM »
The Yuzu seedling has now reached 2 feet tall

August 19, 2020

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 27, 2020, 08:25:23 PM »
Yuzu seedling, doing very well, a little over 2 feet tall

September 27, 2020

we have already begun entering the colder rainy season a week ago.

Balance

• Everett, WA, Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 04, 2020, 03:59:32 PM »
As a fellow citrus grower that lives in the PNW, your post is incredibly inspirational. I recall you having a satsuma I believe, has it faired decently? I also own one and have been considering planting it outdoors, but don't want to risk it dying over the winter so it's been potted for the past two winters.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 04, 2020, 09:59:40 PM »
As a fellow citrus grower that lives in the PNW, your post is incredibly inspirational. I recall you having a satsuma I believe, has it faired decently? I also own one and have been considering planting it outdoors, but don't want to risk it dying over the winter so it's been potted for the past two winters.
My Satsuma did not survive, possibly because it was covered with a vinyl enclosure and that may have ended up creating a greenhouse effect that might have brought it out of protective dormancy during the winter. I thought it would help, but that might have been the thing that killed it. It was also a much colder winter than usual that year. It seemed like it was surviving, but then when Spring came and things started warming up, it became obvious the tree had died.
Jim_VH who lives two hours south of me in Vancouver has experimented with different types of Satsumas and has told me that the regular (Owari) Satsuma is not able to fully ripen its fruit in this climate, but some of the other earlier bearing varieties of Satsuma can. He also did an experiment and his Early St. Ann Satsuma tree did survive a mild winter, in his suburban neighborhood, without being covered that year, although the tree was pretty big, maybe between 4 and 5 feet in diameter and the same size high. (He ended up ripping the tree out after the experiment was over, he says it had grown too big for the spot it was planted in, and he normally has to cover it every year)

Maybe if it interests you to know, I have left out some seedlings grown from Satsuma seeds, on the patio near the house, and they did survive the winter. In health (hue of leaf color), they looked intermediate between the more cold hardy seedlings (like Yuzu), and regular citrus seedlings (some also managed to survive), which is not surprising. The hardier citrus seedlings managed to keep their old leaves from last year, the Satsuma did not.
Of course being on the patio deck near the house the temperatures probably did not get quite as cold as further away in the yard.
This was also a milder winter.

here is another related thread:
I think I have a hybrid of Ichangquat and 5* Citrumelo
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32683.0
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 10:16:03 PM by SoCal2warm »