Author Topic: Coco Cream after one season of growth  (Read 7623 times)

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
Coco Cream after one season of growth
« on: October 07, 2014, 05:02:36 PM »
August 26, 2013 (mulch circle 3.5' diameter)

October 7, 2014, 9.5' x 10+'  (mulch circle 6' diameter)

Hopefully it fruits next season.
JC

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Coco Cream after one season of growth
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 05:10:26 PM »
Very nice looking tree. What do you feed it.
Mike

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 05:19:50 PM »
Monthly Granular - Excalibur 8-3-9 w micros, 0-0-22 K Mag

Monthly Foliar - 20-20-20 w micros, 0-0-26 (Fruit Maker)

Very nice looking tree. What do you feed it.
JC

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 05:36:39 PM »
What the hell. That is some impressive growth. Bravo.  :)
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:01:01 PM »
OMG, I won't get that growth in 5 years here in So Cal. How much fert? I mean measurement?

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:11:36 PM »
Granular (see above) - approximately 1/2 cup of each per month
Foliar (see above) - as per direction on the package

Also the tree is planted where a 30 year old carrot wood used to exist. Every spring it's nasty fruit saturated the ground below. The soil seems pretty rich. I have a two year old Lula avocado that is about 15' tall in the same vicinity.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:17:40 PM by jc »
JC

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:16:14 PM »
Very impressive. I get that high humidity plays a pivotal role in mango growth there, as watering can be controlled here in CA. I will follow your direction and see what results I get in 1 year. If I can get half that, that would be like getting 4X growth here otherwise. Thanks for sharing

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 06:24:10 PM »
For what it's worth -

My neighbor and I both grow fruit trees.  He waters regularly but does not fertilize regularly. I water when necessary and fertilize monthly, granular on the 1st, and foliar on the 15th. As a comparison, my trees are more vigorous and look healthier.  I also tip prune my mangoes regularly.  Don't over look the potassium and minor elements.

Very impressive. I get that high humidity plays a pivotal role in mango growth there, as watering can be controlled here in CA. I will follow your direction and see what results I get in 1 year. If I can get half that, that would be like getting 4X growth here otherwise. Thanks for sharing
JC

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »
I tip prune as well, what is your rule of thumb on length of any branch you let it grow before tip pruning it? Here depending on mango variety, we get 3 to 4 flushes in a year, and some flushes like in case of Hatcher each flush grew 12" long. I don't let any flush go longer than 12" and I force tip pruning it so that the branch doesn't get too leggy.

what is your rule of thumb?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 06:43:05 PM »
The warmer nights really make a difference I would assume. Considering that the Treasure coast is still experiencing nights above 60F, this combined with fresh rain water and good fertilizer will propel any tree.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 06:49:58 PM »
I agree. the seedling back in India grew over 25 feet in 4-yrs and fruited as well. area has high humidity, cold, and water table within 15 feet. So yes, all these things affect growth.

sadly here in So Cal, fall nights and spring nights and some summer nights are below 60 degrees.

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 06:54:33 PM »
Typically two flushes, select the most appropriate three shoots and so on.  Since this tree has gotten so leggy I've had to trice it up to harden off. Also this last flush, 6th or 7th this year, should have been tipped but it's just too leggy and three shoots would cause the newest growth to sag and sprawl more than I want at the moment. I have decent scaffolding now, but I need more height.  This growth should be well hardened by spring and I'll resume tipping the non fruiting shoots.

Don't be afraid to use supports to shape leggy, sprawling trees like CC. They will eventually harden off and give you a good base structure.

I tip prune as well, what is your rule of thumb on length of any branch you let it grow before tip pruning it? Here depending on mango variety, we get 3 to 4 flushes in a year, and some flushes like in case of Hatcher each flush grew 12" long. I don't let any flush go longer than 12" and I force tip pruning it so that the branch doesn't get too leggy.

what is your rule of thumb?
JC

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 06:55:09 PM »
Well done!!!
But going by your photo the trunk looks thin for all that foliage. I would watch it during some high winds and see if it does need some support. I have a similar tree that is "top heavy" and I have a support for it (dug 22" deep hole and put into concrete) that might stay there a few more years.

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 06:58:58 PM »
Agreed, well above in my yard. But my CC has been sort of a rock star. The rest grow and pauses, this thing grows and grows some more.  Hope it fruits...

The warmer nights really make a difference I would assume. Considering that the Treasure coast is still experiencing nights above 60F, this combined with fresh rain water and good fertilizer will propel any tree.
JC

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 07:00:50 PM »
It does have support,  I'm hoping for a rock hard winter! 

Well done!!!
But going by your photo the trunk looks thin for all that foliage. I would watch it during some high winds and see if it does need some support. I have a similar tree that is "top heavy" and I have a support for it (dug 22" deep hole and put into concrete) that might stay there a few more years.
JC

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 07:42:32 PM »
haha nice !

Florida has a few advantages in terms of growth over socal:

- Sandy soil: easy for trees to root out quickly. Heavy doses of fert can be applied regularly, as it leaches quickly.
 - High temps: mangoes can flush once every 3 to 4 weeks during the ridiculously hot summers
 - Plenty of rain

Having lived in both socal and sofl, the rate at which trees grow in the latter is 5x that of the former.

But, we can't fruit cherimoya here. So, we're even :-).
Jeff  :-)

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 07:53:37 PM »
Wow, that's one beautiful mango tree, nice canopy, a lot of growth and well trained. Good job. What type of mulch do you used? i can't keep grasses away from growing right next to my mango tree's rootballs :(

thanks for sharing.

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 07:59:14 PM »
Cyprus or eucalyptus.

Wow, that's one beautiful mango tree, nice canopy, a lot of growth and well trained. Good job. What type of mulch do you used? i can't keep grasses away from growing right next to my mango tree's rootballs :(

thanks for sharing.
JC

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 08:08:57 PM »
I agree. the seedling back in India grew over 25 feet in 4-yrs and fruited as well. area has high humidity, cold, and water table within 15 feet. So yes, all these things affect growth.

sadly here in So Cal, fall nights and spring nights and some summer nights are below 60 degrees.

I disagree. Rain. Rain and more Rain!!!
If we had 30" a year the mild nights would not matter. We have the heat but not the rain.

and rootstock matters. My cococream is leggy and brittle. it break easily if I try to prop it..  I will graft it on Manila/ataulfo and improve it's chance in Socal. Here is a pic of a one year multi-grafted mango on Manila it grows vigorous including the slow growing Maha Chanok.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:27:01 PM by JF »

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 09:02:03 PM »
From plant to tree in a little over a year :D. I'll try this feeding program for some seedlings and 3+7gal trees I have. Mabye I can get fruits out of em in 2 years.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »
haha nice !

- Sandy soil: easy for trees to root out quickly. Heavy doses of fert can be applied regularly, as it leaches quickly.
 - High temps: mangoes can flush once every 3 to 4 weeks during the ridiculously hot summers
 - Plenty of rain

Having lived in both socal and sofl, the rate at which trees grow in the latter is 5x that of the former.

But.........

Our mangoes are not watered down. Slowly but surely I believe our mangoes produce much more intense flavors for the same variety.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 09:30:07 PM »
I think CA mangoes can get pretty good (beating some from FL), I have been eating the CA Keitts for the last 3 weeks. They have been really good, but I don't quite have the mango eating experience that some do. I was doing some research in the past about night time effects on plant growth. I think subtropical to tropically adapted plants growth is a good deal faster at night when temps are warmer. I am going to experience some FL Keitts in about a week.

High temp nights increase respiration rates.
http://www.niaes.affrc.go.jp/marco/marco2009/english/program/P2-03_Razack-Tarpley_etal.pdf
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:34:48 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 09:43:34 PM »
Most of my mangos have fruited in 2 years or less using this program.

From plant to tree in a little over a year :D. I'll try this feeding program for some seedlings and 3+7gal trees I have. Mabye I can get fruits out of em in 2 years.
JC

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »
Probably true. You spoiled brats can also grow just about ever fruit under the sun, from temperate stone fruit to tropical goodies like the mango. And you don't even have to worry about hurricanes or passing out from heat stroke while tending to your plants. Just takes a little more patience out there.

haha nice !

- Plenty of rain

But.........

Our mangoes are not watered down. Slowly but surely I believe our mangoes produce much more intense flavors for the same variety.
Jeff  :-)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 10:12:22 PM »
Cherimoya season is upon us now. Will be tasting some exquisite varities not tasted on this part of the US. Stay tuned.  Will definitely focus on fertilizing regime on my mangoes going forward