Author Topic: Stubborn Mango Trees this season?  (Read 18053 times)

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
Stubborn Mango Trees this season?
« on: February 03, 2015, 06:55:30 AM »
In my neighborhood and many parts of NE Palm Beach County (Florida) most mango trees have been in full bloom and starting to set some fruit during the past couple of weeks.  However, I have seen some stubborn trees in partial bloom or no bloom at all.  Hopefully the recent cool weather in 40s - 50s and the forecast 50s can stimulate the stubborn trees to bloom, I'd love to see an extended harvest season.

My stubborn trees this year are Pickering, PPK, 1/2 of Southern Blush, 1/2 of Coconut Cream, 1/2 of Valencia Pride, and about 1/2 of Brahm Kai Mea.  (For the record they are only 3-4 years old,  8' to 10' tall, no where near mature)  The other 12 trees are either in full bloom or too small to worry about.

For comparative purposes, what other stubborn trees have yet to bloom completely thus far and what's their location?  If the tree pushed out flush growth in lieu of bloom I'm curious about that too.
JC

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Re: Stubborn Mango Trees this season?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:10:46 AM »
East Pembroke Pines (Broward)

Stuborn trees:
Pickering, Okrong, Langra, Fernandin, NDM, Ivory. 3-5 yrs in ground.

Partial Bloomers:
PSM, ST Maui, Neelam, Juliette, Dot, Kesar.

Cushman has always been late (mid Feb) in my yard, and it looks as if it is going to bloom soon.
Ice Cream, full bloomed but looks like another year of no fruit set. It usually re-blooms to set some fruit (fingers crosed).
Looks like a unusually very poor season from my main Julie. Fruitlets seems to be scarce :( and these winds and rain are not helping things. Anticipating a 2nd bloom to set fruit (trackrecord)
Maha, Mallika, Tog Bi Con, and Rosigold had full blooms and fruitlets have been set.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:32:09 AM »
Biggest disappointments so far in terms of flushing growth  for me have been:

Diab
Cac
Lancetilla

Too many to list with partial bloom/part dormant. A few trees where most of the canopy has yet to bloom include 1 Valencia Pride (but 2 others in full bloom), Mulgoba, Mallika, Hodson, NDM Sia Tong, 1 Cogshall (but 4 others in full bloom), Ewais, Harvest Moon, Mesk, Juliett, Davis Haden, Kiew Yai, Zebda, and Manilita.

Only pattern I'm noticing is that the Egyptian mangos have little to no bloom thus far (Diab, Mesk, Zebda, Ewais). Otherwise its fairly random or likely owing to stems that hadn't gone through enough dormancy yet to respond to the cold weather we already had.

The cool weather we've been getting lately and will continue to get in the coming 10 days should ignite most of  the remaining dormant stems to bloom over the next 6 weeks or so.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:40:58 AM by Squam256 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 09:48:31 AM »
The cool weather we've been getting lately and will continue to get in the coming 10 days should ignite most of  the remaining dormant stems to bloom over the next 6 weeks or so.

From your lips to God's ears! Good news for everyone's trees and my trees too! I sure hope so!

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 12:05:23 PM »
Interesting phenomenon regarding the Egyptians.

Biggest disappointments so far in terms of flushing growth  for me have been:

Diab
Cac
Lancetilla

Too many to list with partial bloom/part dormant. A few trees where most of the canopy has yet to bloom include 1 Valencia Pride (but 2 others in full bloom), Mulgoba, Mallika, Hodson, NDM Sia Tong, 1 Cogshall (but 4 others in full bloom), Ewais, Harvest Moon, Mesk, Juliett, Davis Haden, Kiew Yai, Zebda, and Manilita.

Only pattern I'm noticing is that the Egyptian mangos have little to no bloom thus far (Diab, Mesk, Zebda, Ewais). Otherwise its fairly random or likely owing to stems that hadn't gone through enough dormancy yet to respond to the cold weather we already had.

JC

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 12:07:44 PM »
My 4 year old Glenn only has a few pannicles now.  Hopefully the cool weather will push more blooms.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 12:13:07 PM »
still holding out hope for my glenn and coconut cream, but i may have sealed their fate by waiting too long to tip prune. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 12:24:56 PM »
When did you last prune?  I've seen a lot of comments about mangos needing to bloom from terminal buds but,  I've found quite the contrary. I get plenty of bloom from lateral buds  on shoots that have been tipped.

still holding out hope for my glenn and coconut cream, but i may have sealed their fate by waiting too long to tip prune.
JC

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 12:58:49 PM »
When did you last prune?  I've seen a lot of comments about mangos needing to bloom from terminal buds but,  I've found quite the contrary. I get plenty of bloom from lateral buds  on shoots that have been tipped.

Not sure exactly, but I am guessing late October, could've been early November though.  I agree, my Angie has panicles coming right out from the trunk....just not sure if they had enough time to enter dormancy.  We shall see...
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 01:04:03 PM »

For me, it has been Mahachanok. For some reason, the tree flowered, for the first time, in June last year, and held one fruit. Since then, it has been dormant. Sunrise and Ugly Betty have flowered partially.

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 01:05:59 PM »
Should be plenty of time. I've had flush growth later than that and still seen solid bloom.  CC finally went dormant in early December and about half of it has bloomed so far.  Other buds are swollen but no movement in the past month.   Good luck!

Not sure exactly, but I am guessing late October, could've been early November though.  I agree, my Angie has panicles coming right out from the trunk....just not sure if they had enough time to enter dormancy.  We shall see...
JC

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 02:44:53 PM »

My Frances Hargrave had not put on any growth flushes from Summer of 2013 through August 2014.  I cut back every brance by 6 - 12 inches in August 2014 seeing if I could stimulate growth.  It did nothing.  Buds swelled and then nothing.  Lo and behold, in early December 2014 from both nodes below the cuts, it went into full bloom.  It is now holding many small developing fruit.  The tree is only a few years old so I am not expecting much but it did surprise me from flowering not on terminal buds but from the nodes below the pruning sites.
- Rob

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 03:33:28 PM »
My lemon meringue is full of fruitlets, many that seem to be growing and are about size of a pea right now.  Cocunut cream flowered but no fruitletts yet, cogshall same. Carrie still nothing, but it is very young tree only 2 years old. Has some swelling buds but has not released the fury yet!!

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 05:13:04 PM »

I've noticed some powdery mildew on some of my blooms on my Glenn tree  :'(...I have 2 Cogshall, potted Glenn and my Maha not blooming (yet)...Maha looks promising...fingers crossed its buds ready to come out soon?

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 06:44:15 PM »
Yep an extra bonus. I tipped most of my mahachanok last fall and now just about every shoot has 3 - 8 panicles from the lateral buds.

My Frances Hargrave had not put on any growth flushes from Summer of 2013 through August 2014.  I cut back every brance by 6 - 12 inches in August 2014 seeing if I could stimulate growth.  It did nothing.  Buds swelled and then nothing.  Lo and behold, in early December 2014 from both nodes below the cuts, it went into full bloom.  It is now holding many small developing fruit.  The tree is only a few years old so I am not expecting much but it did surprise me from flowering not on terminal buds but from the nodes below the pruning sites.
JC

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 08:12:33 PM »
My 4 year old Glenn only has a few pannicles now.  Hopefully the cool weather will push more blooms.

Same, but in my case, the tree was absolutely covered in powdery mildew from what must have been several months of Aphid Poop Fest 2014. I managed to scrub a lot of it off (not exactly a fun job on a 12 foot tall tree) in December, but I fear the damage was already done in terms of blooms. It is blooming sporadically, but nothing like what it's done in the past.

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 09:10:09 PM »
Perhaps you are referring to sooty mold instead of PM....

Same, but in my case, the tree was absolutely covered in powdery mildew from what must have been several months of Aphid Poop Fest 2014. I managed to scrub a lot of it off (not exactly a fun job on a 12 foot tall tree) in December, but I fear the damage was already done in terms of blooms. It is blooming sporadically, but nothing like what it's done in the past.
JC

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 09:49:08 PM »
Perhaps you are referring to sooty mold instead of PM....

oops - you're right. Long day in court today. My brain is mush.

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 06:18:17 PM »
More rain in the forecast, right in the middle of the bloom and fruit set. 👎👎👎
JC

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 08:29:49 AM »
I have low bloom on my Hatcher, Florigon, Chocanon, Fairchild heavy fruit load last year, V.Pride. hat racked two years ago(seedling always a low fruit count).. Medium set on the T/A, hat racked two years ago. A good to heavy bloom on Lemon Merengue. and Springfel. The rest are to young to care. All were tipped when the last fruit was picked.

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 07:09:55 AM »
Forecast says more lows in the 40s and 50s. Chances for another bloom are looking pretty good. Maybe we can even get an extended season. 👍
JC

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 08:21:53 AM »
Blooming well, signs of tiny fruits: Cogshall
Lots of blooms: Graham, Mallika, Pickering, Neelam
Early blooms, most lost to powdery mildew: NDM (some fruits hanging in there, though)

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 08:59:42 AM »
Carrie with minimal blooms..... Bailey Marvel ( one fruit last year) with many blooms...

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 09:06:24 AM »
I am seeing a bit of PM too. I've been keeping up it via sulfur sprays though.
Blooming well, signs of tiny fruits: Cogshall
Lots of blooms: Graham, Mallika, Pickering, Neelam
Early blooms, most lost to powdery mildew: NDM (some fruits hanging in there, though)
JC

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 02:43:59 PM »
My only tree that didnt do anything this year is a 2 year in the ground "Peach Cobbler" mango. Lost most of my Larger Edward trees bloom to PM...too late spraying sulphur >:(.     
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:30:52 PM by SWRancher »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk