Author Topic: Mango root growth  (Read 2321 times)

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
Mango root growth
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:50:15 PM »
Today, I put in some irrigation for the red jabo I planted this past weekend.  In doing so, I tapped into some funny pipe that had running to my Brahm Kai Mea (BKM) mango.  When I tried to pull back the mulch I was surprised to see significant root structure woven amongst the deeper mulch. The tree has only been in the ground since the end of summer 2012.  Seems like a good thing. 

Notice the light colored roots running the ought the darker mulch.

JC

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Mango root growth
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 07:12:52 PM »
u sure those are mango roots? They don't look like mango roots to me. Wonder if they are coming from the yellow bird of paradise to the right.

Today, I put in some irrigation for the red jabo I planted this past weekend.  In doing so, I tapped into some funny pipe that had running to my Brahm Kai Mea (BKM) mango.  When I tried to pull back the mulch I was surprised to see significant root structure woven amongst the deeper mulch. The tree has only been in the ground since the end of summer 2012.  Seems like a good thing. 

Jeff  :-)

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 07:51:36 PM »
Yep, just traced them back to one of the BKM's crown roots coming off of the trunk. Check it out. Notice the crown root just under the funny pipe in the second picture. The YBoP is on the opposite side of the trunk.

u sure those are mango roots? They don't look like mango roots to me. Wonder if they are coming from the yellow bird of paradise to the right.

JC

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:41:31 PM »
What kind of palm is that behind the BKM?  I know it is far removed from the palm but those look a little like palm roots.

What is wrapped on the BKM trunk and why?
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 11:21:30 AM »
Yah, those round white roots don't look like mango roots. Mango feeder roots are darker, thinner, and not round.

What kind of palm is that behind the BKM?  I know it is far removed from the palm but those look a little like palm roots.

What is wrapped on the BKM trunk and why?

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 01:44:17 PM »
Jeff and Rob, you guys are right. I looked at some of the other mulched trees and only the BKM mulch has the big white roots.  The others are darker and very thin and filament like.  Must be the various palms feeding on my mango steroids.  :-\

Rob, it's a bark guard so the yard crew doesn't kill the trees w/ a weed eater. I have them on all the trees.  The white wrap is supposed to a pest deterrent but I have no idea if it works. It breaths and doesn't hold moisture. 
JC

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 02:17:37 PM »
Bark guard is excellent. It does a fabulous job of protecting against the lawn crew and, in my experience using it over many years, has no detrimental effect.

Palm roots can be fairly aggressive.

Jeff and Rob, you guys are right. I looked at some of the other mulched trees and only the BKM mulch has the big white roots.  The others are darker and very thin and filament like.  Must be the various palms feeding on my mango steroids.  :-\

Rob, it's a bark guard so the yard crew doesn't kill the trees w/ a weed eater. I have them on all the trees.  The white wrap is supposed to a pest deterrent but I have no idea if it works. It breaths and doesn't hold moisture.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk