Author Topic: Jujubee fruitlets turn yellow  (Read 2253 times)

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Jujubee fruitlets turn yellow
« on: July 13, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »
My shanxi Li bears a lot of fruits this year, but many turn yellow. Does it need more water or too much water? I water every two days. What is wrong with my jujube?

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
Re: Jujubee fruitlets turn yellow
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 06:15:58 PM »
Photos?

Ziziphus is adapted to dry areas

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 08:31:52 AM »
Hi Dragon, my jujubes only get supplemental water about every two weeks. They don't mind being a little dry. I'd say cut it back to once a week and see what happens.

D

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 11:10:50 PM »
My jujube is in the 30 gallons pot, and I water every 2 days. Is it still too much?

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 08:53:22 AM »
I'd cut it back to every 4 days for a while. See how it reacts.
D

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 10:35:29 PM »
Ok will do . Thank you

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 12:04:26 AM »
Hi Trang

It is normal for Shanxi Li to have many yellowing young fruits. Many of them will drop eventually. Shanxi Li is also sensitive to some type of blight, it sometimes dies back from burning starting from the top and blackens down gradually, but its vigor pays back to out grow the disease. Chico and honey jar have the most fruits. GA-866 is the worst in terms of fruit bearing.

You should water it deeply once a week or every 5 days instead of giving it little water every two days.

By the way, thank to Trang for your GA-866 scionwood, I had 2 successful grafts and got only 2 fruits, one fell off or somehow being eaten by birds, and one still remained. I also succesfully grafted 2 Shanxi Li branches, they fruited right after 1.5 months though not many still remained.

I also created a multigrafted jujube tree by grafting 5 different vaieries onto a matured wild jujube. I will take pictures when I have a chance.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:19:16 AM by lavender87 »

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 02:02:53 AM »
Hi Lavender87,

Thank you for sharing me your knowledge of jujubes as well as the scionS of chico, shanx Li and persimmons.  I can’t wait to taste the fruit from your  scion. I think  the shanxi Li I purchased was fake since your shanxi Li fruits have smooth skin and big in size while mine look wrinkled and Wilted. My chico took but could not hold any fruits and persimmons did not give me any flowers. You gave me generous scions, but I could only make one of each type successfully  took. I guess my grafting skill is bad :)

Just wonder what are the five jujubes you grafted if you don’t mind.

Ps: I tried to post the picture of shanxi Li fruits but couldn’t
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 02:15:52 AM by dragon »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 03:02:36 AM »
Hi Lavender87,

Thank you for sharing me your knowledge of jujubes as well as the scionS of chico, shanx Li and persimmons.  I can’t wait to taste the fruit from your  scion. I think  the shanxi Li I purchased was fake since your shanxi Li fruits have smooth skin and big in size while mine look wrinkled and Wilted. My chico took but could not hold any fruits and persimmons did not give me any flowers. You gave me generous scions, but I could only make one of each type successfully  took. I guess my grafting skill is bad :)

Ps: I tried to post the picture of shanxi Li fruits but couldn’t
To post pictures you have to upload them on a site like Postimage then copy the direct link( second link) and paste it in the forum comment.

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 08:17:20 AM »

I've just created a mutigrafted jujube this spring. It has sugar cane, honey jar, chio, shanxi li, ga-866.

My honey jar has the most fruits, but as oppose to people's oppinion, my honey jar fruit is extremely small and tatse like wild jujube, has less flesh as well as big seed, not extremely sweet. I bought mine from justfruitandexotics, and I guess it is not true honey jar jujube.

I grafted 2 scionwood pieces of Chico on an old wild jujube and both took, but I removed one because it was cover by other branches and lack of sunlight. The other grafted Chico branch has the most fruits and most of them held. Chico fruit shape is similar to an apple, and not ripe yet till this moment.

I think multigraft will help to i prove the taste of jujube. I also noticed that my Sugar Cane has bigger fruit.

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 01:56:41 PM »
Just curious. I just got myself a Green Thornless / Thai jujube.  Is it possible to graft these jujube varieties to it?