Author Topic: have Soursop (Annona muricata) seeds from a high yielding tree  (Read 7494 times)

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
I got seeds available for trade from a high yielding Soursop (Annona muricata); the parent of my tree was selected out of TCDC, Arusha, Tanzania. The small tree easily carries 35+ medium sized fiber-less fruits of good eating quality and seeds have previously been shared with members from this forum (this is second fruiting this year).

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:01:15 AM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Re: have Soursop (Annona muricata) seeds from a high yielding tree
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 07:21:51 AM »
Wrote you a message.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 08:30:18 AM »
May I purchase some from you as well? I have never seen a prolific soursop ever before and this seems like a must have!

Chris
✌🏽

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »
Hi Chris,
Soursop is a fairly common backyard tree in Eastafrica and I have seen many trees and fruits, but none as prolific as this. The fruits are not as large as produced by several other trees I have encountered here, but with less fibers as well which surely makes it a fine selection from the collector in Arusha. It is always loaded with flowers or/and fruits.
I don't sell seeds, but would be happy to trade for other species; wrote you a message.

Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:47:57 PM »
Thanks for offering this gem! I look forward to growing them. :D The local fire station down the street has a tree outside and they allow the neighborhood children to pick but I have never seen the tree give more than 3 at a time. 30+ flowers and fruit at a time?! What a rare cultivar you have, indeed!

Cheers,
Chris
✌🏽

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 02:14:09 AM »
Can't blame all on the genetics - good pollinators are required as well, and since soursop like several other annona spp. have limited self-pollination capacity, a single tree will normally produce less. However, the amount of flowers on this tree is outstanding as the photo shows.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 06:38:54 AM »
Can't blame all on the genetics - good pollinators are required as well, and since soursop like several other annona spp. have limited self-pollination capacity, a single tree will normally produce less. However, the amount of flowers on this tree is outstanding as the photo shows.
I am sure location/climate plays a big role here.  Bring this to SFla or the likes and you may not have the same success/production.
- Rob

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 07:15:19 AM »
True; not sure which pollinators you have or humidity level etc. versus ours in Uganda - but we too have the average low producing trees with 5-15 fruits at a time.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:55:00 AM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 08:31:41 AM »
True; not sure which pollinators you have or humidity level etc. versus ours in Uganda - but we too have the average low producing trees with 5-15 fruits at a time.
We have at least some pollinators as we do fruit soursop in the area.  The bigger concern is the winter climate, temps and wind chills to be specific.  It usually gets too cold over the winter to have them planted in the ground or even left unattended outdoors in pots.  Winterizing in a greenhouse is usually required.
- Rob

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 09:23:54 AM »
Hi Rob - I understand, cold tolerance and reduced growth related to it is not a concern here in zone 12  8) Lowest temperature I remember is around 15 degree Celsius.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 03:00:08 PM »
Several varieties of soursop gives, at least once in a while, a good flush of flowers and fruits. The trick is to get it consistently, which my Arusha variety seems to be a master in doing. Just counted 45+ fruits and more flowers breaking out.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 09:25:39 PM »
Several varieties of soursop gives, at least once in a while, a good flush of flowers and fruits. The trick is to get it consistently, which my Arusha variety seems to be a master in doing. Just counted 45+ fruits and more flowers breaking out.

have mercy Soren!

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 07:26:40 AM »
A comment today from Wirsiy Eric - who some of you know for trading Cameroonian seeds including junglesop. I gave him seeds years back of the high yielding cv.;

"I have counted 35 fruits of the improved soursop you gave me seeds of. There are still very many flowers."

And this is second time it flowers.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:38:54 PM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 11:25:07 AM »
A comment today from Wirsiy Eric - who some of you know for trading Cameroonian seeds including junglesop. I gave him a seedling years back of the high yielding cv.;

"I have counted 35 fruits of the improved soursop you gave me seeds of. There are still very many flowers."

And this is second time it flowers.

My seedlings are precocious, no they are a weed that ate S. Florida😅
They survived my gaunlet of flooding drownings, drought and a brief stint in the refrigerature at 37 without leaf drop!  Leaves almost ficus like, I look forward to see how they performed here!  Seem nothing bother them going from absolutely 50% to full sun without a vampire disease.  Try to kill them short of throwing in the kitchen sink!  You have a very hardy strain Soren!😃 Putting them in airpot should get some flowers in two years.  I am staring at my Whitman with a dozen fruits for second crop of 2015; can not wait to hybridize these two varieties!  You be the first to get the Whitman Arusha Fiberless in a devade or so; by that time you're retire and I am composting nicely in my backyard bed of woodchip under the shade of Lucangosteen!😆😆

The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 04:48:46 AM »
Everything that comes out of Africa is tough like h... - nobody here cares for their trees, so it is 'survival of the fittest' for sure. This season looks like a record breaking season with very heavy fruit load on both my trees from this selection.
Perhaps a cross between Whitmans fiberless, Carlos' giant and these hardy heavy producers would give the ultimate soursop.!
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 09:37:14 AM »
Hi Soren, will you have seeds in about a month r later? I'd love to buy a few then if you have them!

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 08:21:13 PM »
Everything that comes out of Africa is tough like h... - nobody here cares for their trees, so it is 'survival of the fittest' for sure. This season looks like a record breaking season with very heavy fruit load on both my trees from this selection.
Perhaps a cross between Whitmans fiberless, Carlos' giant and these hardy heavy producers would give the ultimate soursop.!

Thankyou Soren for your prize selection; I will start to field trial in Loxahatchee groves & Hobe sound area to see how cold I can kill them!😜👻. Yes I got to call Adam & buy his Giant Morata to breed & create an Arusha Atomic Fiber Less in 25 years!😭
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 01:58:32 AM »
Hi Soren, will you have seeds in about a month r later? I'd love to buy a few then if you have them!

Hi Bruce,
There is one fruit far ahead of the others; the rest is just forming now. I will post some photos to prove my claim of a heavy crop.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda