Author Topic: Identify: Banana  (Read 1442 times)

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Identify: Banana
« on: April 26, 2018, 11:54:22 AM »
Hello all,
I have a bunch of bananas in my yard (I already cut out about 2/3 of them)
Could you please help me identify the variety?
They flower but don't produce fruit. It could be the temperature, or because they're so dense.
Any help is appreciated!

-Kris

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Re: Identify: Banana
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:52:51 PM »
there are two types of 'giant banana' I have bought, but only 8 month in the ground so far.  In regular 'wild' conditions they may only give out 1-2 fruit, so in very poor conditions they may not have any fruit at all.  These are very rare types of bananas, so this remind you did you buy this kind before?  Without enough fertilizer they will not have any fruit at all.  I think some local name for these types like 'Gluay Hai Plee" - 'Disappearing fruit banana' or something like that.

กล้วยเทพรส - Gluay Teparod

กล้วยงาช้าง - Gluay Nga Chang

very excited for these to flower, so far they are not so good, I was provided with very small corms, so they are giving a slow start.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:56:07 PM by sahai1 »

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 10:25:34 PM »
there are two types of 'giant banana' I have bought, but only 8 month in the ground so far.  In regular 'wild' conditions they may only give out 1-2 fruit, so in very poor conditions they may not have any fruit at all.  These are very rare types of bananas, so this remind you did you buy this kind before?  Without enough fertilizer they will not have any fruit at all.  I think some local name for these types like 'Gluay Hai Plee" - 'Disappearing fruit banana' or something like that.

กล้วยเทพรส - Gluay Teparod

กล้วยงาช้าง - Gluay Nga Chang

very excited for these to flower, so far they are not so good, I was provided with very small corms, so they are giving a slow start.
The banana in the second photo is known as pisang tanduk here.i have a plant that is fruiting.cultivation of this species involve propping the plant and replanting the pups after it's fruiting.without propping the plant risk falling due to heavy weight

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 08:08:00 AM »
Very hard to say what variety without fruiting. Could be plantain. Pick the strongest pup, dig it out, chop it down to 12" tall and trim roots. Replant by itself in fertile soil feed and water it well. In a year you should find out what you have. Banana/plantain are very rewarding. After fruiting, remove all pups except the best one and repeat.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 10:46:21 AM »
Very hard to say what variety without fruiting. Could be plantain. Pick the strongest pup, dig it out, chop it down to 12" tall and trim roots. Replant by itself in fertile soil feed and water it well. In a year you should find out what you have. Banana/plantain are very rewarding. After fruiting, remove all pups except the best one and repeat.
I'll have to see if I have an area to replant... We like to use the leaves so we like to have a few densely packed bananas. They were already their when we purchased this house and only one flowered, but the flower never fruited. Thanks !
-Kris

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 07:05:14 PM »
If you cut leaves and maintain a dense clump no wonder you don't get fruit. Musa needs about 10 functional leaves to flower so harvesting for leaves is a different function than growing for fruit. You might consider two clumps one for fruit one one for for leaves or just harvest leaves from a limited number of pups. It helps to work with the natural form and functions of a plant like this.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 07:09:39 PM by pineislander »