Author Topic: Avocado tree in containers question  (Read 1116 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Avocado tree in containers question
« on: May 18, 2020, 11:00:15 PM »
Hello all, I’m trying to get some info before I go out and buy. I’ve been growing citrus in pots for years now, I’ve had great success! (At 15 varieties and climbing!) I do it all from propagate and root my own, to growing my own rootstock and grafting them: All in Wisconsin (5A). My climate is not ideal, but I have a love for tropical fruits!

I would like to get into avocados! I do not know much about their pollination other than A and B varieties.. or what that really means anyways in terms of pollination  and I know that “every plant is made to be outside, not in contaienrsbahahxhak”

I would just like to know what it would take to grow one and have it fruit successfully! Any variety better in containers than others? I have heard they’re quite similar to citrus in care, but harder to get to fruit and pollinate. I have heard that there’s no “real” dwarf avo, which I would love to start there if there is. I’m working on growing some rootstock and will eventually graft my own, but I’m thinking I want to get into it sooner than later!

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado tree in containers question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 11:59:51 PM »
I think Pinkerton is said to be semi Dwarf... 😃
El verde es vida!

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 03:12:23 PM »
I have a Pinkerton that does not grow a lot in Homestead, Florida. Gets sunburned a lot also. It has stayed under 18 feet without pruning for a few years. The Pinkerton is on top a two other varieties that tends to keep the tree small.
Rootstock-Mexicola-Pinkerton,  My is on Waldin-Beta- Pinkerton  or any other combination  can keep trees small
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

gychang

• Honolulu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 03:22:08 PM »
XX3 or Holiday stays pretty small.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 05:16:06 PM »
Thanks for the responses! I’m looking to keep it in a 10 gallon container if possible though, I think those varieties are a tad too big to keep in a smaller pot. I read up on Wurtz which seems to be the only dwarf. Or the “day” avocado seems to do well in containers as well. Any info on those?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk