Author Topic: Today’s Harvest from the orchard  (Read 14954 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Today’s Harvest from the orchard
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 02:44:32 PM »
I’ve never tried Quince before but I think I may have seen some marmalade made with it at the Asian markets.
This quince I showed a picture of is totally different from regular quince. A normal quince is not something you would want to eat raw.

Cooked, however, a few slices of regular quince go well with vanilla icecream. The flavor is pungently deep, almost like cough syrup, and like a very tart intense heirloom apple, some people perceive a slight caramel aroma. Using a ratio of 40% quince to 60% apple also goes well in an apple pie, and then you don't have to use any added thickener in the filling. It will give the apple pie a more intense flavor.

It also of course makes a good preserve spread. Long ago the original marmalade was made out of quince before the sour orange was brought to Europe. I think some of the best jam in the world is boysenberry-quince (and again because of the quince you don't have to add pectin if you make it).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 02:58:52 PM by SoCal2warm »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 04:54:51 PM »
You are not going to be happy but wonderful is a really sub par pomagranite.  I have one of them.  The seeds are big and hard and leave you with a mouth of seed.  Im going to yank mine and put in a new one.  Ive got a couple other types that are keepers. 

I got my plants as little starter sleves for 20$ from the local nursery.  They were dave wilson starter plants.

Don't need to start all over again -- you can graft your favorite scions on the rootstock just like mango. In Feb this year I did cleft graft and 5 out of 6 took and even carry a fruit this year.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 05:00:21 PM »
You are not going to be happy but wonderful is a really sub par pomagranite.  I have one of them.  The seeds are big and hard and leave you with a mouth of seed.  Im going to yank mine and put in a new one.  Ive got a couple other types that are keepers. 

I got my plants as little starter sleves for 20$ from the local nursery.  They were dave wilson starter plants.

Don't need to start all over again -- you can graft your favorite scions on the rootstock just like mango. In Feb this year I did cleft graft and 5 out of 6 took and even carry a fruit this year.

Pomagrantes send out tons of suckers from their root zone.  No way I want to deal with trying to keep the graft as the only thing allowed to grow.

I put in very small starters this year in january 2018.  They are now 4 to 5 ft tall and loaded with fruit.  Its really not worth trying to salvage a bad pomagranite. 

This was a little twig 10 mnths ago.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:02:40 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 05:01:16 PM »
Hi Simon,

I used to have a very big pomegranate tree -- 15" trunk -- with tons of fruits, and my favorite time to pick was around Thanksgiving when the fruits cracked or about to crack because the seeds were so swelled up and the skin inside turned white instead of yellowish, with the thin membranes turned pinkish. Very easy to crack open and click off the seeds at this time. I have seen people picked the fruits too early.

Maybe yours is an early kind, but it's worth a try to save some fruits on the tree to experiment the late harvest -- quite a big difference.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 06:21:37 PM by sapote »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2018, 07:09:33 PM »
Pomegranates store extremely well in the refrigerator. I post on this forum a while back an experiment where I stored some pomegranates in the fridge for almost 1 year. The outside skin looked horrible but the inside was perfect and better tasting than when it was fresh. The storage seemed to decrease the amount of ascorbic acid content which brought out the sweetness compared to the fresh fruit.

We have several different varieties of pomegranates and most of mine are cracking already. Once there is damaoto the skin, it cannot be stored for long periods.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 07:16:01 PM »
I cut open this very small Gary mango last night. It had a slight sweet and coconut smell to it. The Brix came out at 24%. The flesh had a nice orange color to it and I was hoping to get a good coconut flavor from it but it smelled more coconut than it tasted.

This mango had excellent sweetness and a perfect acid balance with a little Tropicalfruit flavor mixed in. The texture of the fruit was reminiscent of a ripe Kesar. This was not a nubbin Fruit as it had a fully formed but small Monoembryonic seed. This is a great mango, I just with it we’re a lot bigger.

This fruit came from a graft off my multigraft tree which is predominantly Lemon Zest. I will try to grow this seed and see if I win the lotto.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2018, 04:03:01 PM »
Heres my harvest today.  The guavas are pouring in.  I already thinned twice, going to do another last minute thinning.  They really respond to thinning even when its late into the season.  The next round of fruit get larger.

Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2018, 11:10:59 PM »
Brad, your bananas and guavas were awesome. The first Cherimoya fell off the tree today. This one is a Booth.

Simon

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2018, 11:19:15 PM »
Nice harvest Brad. How do the guavas taste? The ones from grocery store are so bland.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2018, 01:33:48 AM »
The guava from Brads place is very sweet with a creamy and strong guava flavor and aroma. The smell was so strong, it freshened up my whole kitchen. It was eaten in the soft stage and had good moisture. I’m not a big fan of guavas but Brads were really good.

The only other guavas that impressed me were the Seedless crunchy types.

I have not eaten as many varieties of guavas as some others but I have tasted quite a few of them.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2018, 10:22:15 AM »
Nice harvest Brad. How do the guavas taste? The ones from grocery store are so bland.

Its a very good mexican white guava.  Not bland.  Theres a ton of them here if you want to try come take some.  I had 3 trees, one was tasteless and I removed it.  This one is my A guava.  We have another guava that makes bigger fruit but they are not quite as good in flavor.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2018, 10:25:19 AM »
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2018, 10:36:47 AM »
amazing. I picked one measly passionfruit yesterday, lol

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »

Its a very good mexican white guava.  Not bland.  Theres a ton of them here if you want to try come take some.  I had 3 trees, one was tasteless and I removed it.  This one is my A guava.  We have another guava that makes bigger fruit but they are not quite as good in flavor.

I’d love to try it. Thanks. Do they make good juice?

Do you grow wax jambu? They are not sweetest fruits but the good ones are very refreshing to eat. May worth a try given you have the space. The tree I saw in Taiwan was huge.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2018, 04:40:35 PM »
Nice color on the Pomegranate Brad.

I found this on the ground last night. First El Bumpo of the year.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2018, 05:23:39 PM »

I’d love to try it. Thanks. Do they make good juice?

Do you grow wax jambu? They are not sweetest fruits but the good ones are very refreshing to eat. May worth a try given you have the space. The tree I saw in Taiwan was huge.

I never tried juicing them.  Theres a ton of the guavas still but they dont last long.  If you want some just stop by and get them.  We can do dragonfruit tasting next saturday morning if you want.
Brad Spaugh

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2018, 06:58:17 PM »
Thanks Brad. Can’t wait to your nursery. Will txt or email you.

spoons

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2018, 09:29:32 AM »
This is another project we have been working on for 3 or 4 months.  Just finished a week or so ago.  We cleared a quarter or half an acre or so of hillside and planted 50 mango trees.  The trees are on a 15x15 spacing. Theres some FL grafted trees, some FL seed stocks and some CA rootstock grafted with FL selections.  It doesnt look like much now but these trees are out on a prime location here with full south exposure and deep draining DG soil in the hottest are of coastal CA. 

Nice Brad!  What sort of irrigation system did you install?  What are you guys using on the terminal ends of the system?  Soakers or sprinklers?

I was planning to do the same on my south facing hillside. 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2018, 10:30:42 AM »
This is another project we have been working on for 3 or 4 months.  Just finished a week or so ago.  We cleared a quarter or half an acre or so of hillside and planted 50 mango trees.  The trees are on a 15x15 spacing. Theres some FL grafted trees, some FL seed stocks and some CA rootstock grafted with FL selections.  It doesnt look like much now but these trees are out on a prime location here with full south exposure and deep draining DG soil in the hottest are of coastal CA. 

Nice Brad!  What sort of irrigation system did you install?  What are you guys using on the terminal ends of the system?  Soakers or sprinklers?

Theres a half inch threaded riser at every tree.  We are running 8 stream micro sprinklers.  When the trees get larger I may swap them to the little spinning type. 
Brad Spaugh

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2018, 08:24:25 AM »
Sorry but I had thought pictures of "Today’s Harvest from the orchard" were desired.... I must have been wrong in my read... sorry removed...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:36:40 PM by palmcity »

spoons

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2018, 01:27:58 PM »

Theres a half inch threaded riser at every tree.  We are running 8 stream micro sprinklers.  When the trees get larger I may swap them to the little spinning type.

Good deal, thanks for the info.  Gonna be setting my hillside up this Feb/Mar.  Pretty excited, hope to plant about 12-20 mango trees depending on if I can cut down a couple more shade trees.  My hillside is about the same grade maybe a little steeper in some sections.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2018, 02:02:41 PM »

Good deal, thanks for the info.  Gonna be setting my hillside up this Feb/Mar.  Pretty excited, hope to plant about 12-20 mango trees depending on if I can cut down a couple more shade trees.  My hillside is about the same grade maybe a little steeper in some sections.

Escondido?

Come by sometime and poke around if want.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2018, 11:06:20 AM »
More pics from the orchard

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »
Sorry but I had thought pictures of "Today’s Harvest from the orchard" were desired.... I must have been wrong in my read... sorry removed...

Post your pics
Brad Spaugh

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2018, 10:46:44 PM »
looks yummy! which dragon fruit types are your favorites this year? Did you take a brix reading?

My American Beauty vine (got cutting from Simon last summer) set 3 fruits - still in green stage. The Simon's purple had 3 flowers but none set despite my effort to hand pollinate them with AB or Sugar Dragon pollen (which was probably no good since I saved/froze them a couple of months earlier). Looks like AB is self-fertile.

Since my AB fruits are so late in the season, they probably won't be as sweet. Will see in a few weeks.