Author Topic: Which varieties of Mango have a strong spice note?  (Read 2979 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Which varieties of Mango have a strong spice note?
« on: June 29, 2020, 06:46:21 PM »
 Last week i tried Graham and now I know what they mean by spice note. The reason for this is i am contemplating on grafting to Neelam. From what i read about it I was a little apprehensive that i would not like it but I did. Rich flavor with strong spice I do not think i would want more then one per day or a whole tree! What other spice varieties would you suggest i try?What spices do you taste in Graham? :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 06:59:25 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: Which varieties of Mango have a strong spice note?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 07:03:37 PM »
Which varieties of Mango have a strong spice note?
Madem Francis

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 10:42:57 PM »
Carrie?
John

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 05:43:42 AM »
val carrie?

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 09:30:11 AM »
You should try a julie mango, it has some kick to it.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 11:59:34 AM »
ST Maui. The strongest I’ve tried.

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 12:29:15 PM »
Suvarnarekha/Sundari mango, O-15 mango, Dwarf Hawaiian and Julie are the ones i tasted this season that had strong spicyness. Graham is still ripening on countertop. Neelam is a late season and more of a horizontal grower so you would want to graft someone similar with compact growing habit.  Amrapali is another compact and late season Indian mango but i am not sure of its spicy level grown here in FL.
Satya

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 01:46:07 PM »
Kesar is the strongest I’ve tasted, though the one I tried this year had almost zero spice.  I’ve had Bombay’s that were spicy and others that were pure juniper resinous. Carrie is the most common spicy mango I see for sale.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 05:17:04 PM »
Ice Cream, Kesar, ST Maui, Neelam, and East Indian.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 09:34:35 PM »
Suvarnarekha/Sundari mango, O-15 mango, Dwarf Hawaiian and Julie are the ones i tasted this season that had strong spicyness. Graham is still ripening on countertop. Neelam is a late season and more of a horizontal grower so you would want to graft someone similar with compact growing habit.  Amrapali is another compact and late season Indian mango but i am not sure of its spicy level grown here in FL.
Looking to graft a mid season Indian/West Indian flavor profile mango  such as Arka Neelkiran White Piri or Graham onto my Neelam. I would be interest in what spices you detect. I have two in mind :) Grahams spice is much stronger then Dwarf Hawaiian or Julie. IMHO :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 03:09:13 PM »
Dwarf Hawaiian is pretty spicy, as well as St Maui and Kesar.

Had a white Hisamagar, who knows what actually was, outstanding though. Spicy and wonderful.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 06:28:13 PM »
I think that the spiciness of a mango is different for each person's taste buds. Of the above mentioned mangoes, I detect absolutely no spiciness in a Carrie for the many years I've eaten it. ST Maui also has no spice, just sweet mango. Graham on the other hand has a medicinal taste that I dislike and am topworking. On an interesting note, I find that fruit punch has the same smell as a Graham, but tastes totally different. Great mango!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 10:08:42 PM »
I think that the spiciness of a mango is different for each person's taste buds. Of the above mentioned mangoes, I detect absolutely no spiciness in a Carrie for the many years I've eaten it. ST Maui also has no spice, just sweet mango. Graham on the other hand has a medicinal taste that I dislike and am topworking. On an interesting note, I find that fruit punch has the same smell as a Graham, but tastes totally different. Great mango!
I agree my wife does not taste any spice in graham but i on the other hand taste ginger like in ginger bread cookie or nutmeg in pumpkin pie. Carrie i don't taste any spice just a medical after taste.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 11:06:01 PM »
Interesting thread here what people calling spice I think of as resinous, but one mango I have had a few times in the past that I think of as “spicy” as in some type of added herb in the flavor profile is San Felipe ...originated in Cuba and is definitely unique flavor.

-joe

Shobha

• Hacienda Heights Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2020, 04:21:17 PM »
What exactly is referred to spice of a mango? Is it the aroma? How is Haden classified as far as the spice?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2020, 04:26:17 PM »
 :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:49:31 PM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 04:40:18 PM »
 ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:49:52 PM by johnb51 »
John

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2020, 05:34:27 PM »
Yes, it's the aroma.

Typically it depends on how sensitive each person is to each aroma compound, with each individual having different sensitivities to each compound.

The typical scale for strength or concentration of aroma for a given flavor as perceived by each individual's differing senses is as follows.

None detected (flavorless)< Mild note (washed out)< Normal strength as compared to typical western fruits (Your general description of spice)< Strong (Intense)< Very Strong (Resinous)< Overpowering (Medicinal)

What one person perceives as lying in one area of the spectrum, others may perceive the same sample in a different area.

The characteristics of the aroma (flavor) can also affect how the spice is described, with mangoes that have flavors similar to Alphonse often being described as having "spice" in the flavor.

Typically Haden is not described as having spice or a spicy aroma. It's often described as a "classic" flavored mango, as most in the mango growing region of Florida are quite familiar with its peachy aroma. Therefore it serves as a baseline for comparison to other mango varieties. If the common mango grown in the area is of a different flavor, the baseline for what is considered "classic" would certainly differ. It is common for such relative terms to find their way into flavor descriptions.

Often Haden is described as having a resinous character to the flavor, which indicates that there is a high concentration of certain flavor compounds.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2020, 07:33:37 PM »
I just ground up some fresh allspice, and it had a similar aroma to Alphonse, so if you're looking for an aroma to compare to, you can see if you can find some.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2020, 08:07:11 PM »
I just ground up some fresh allspice, and it had a similar aroma to Alphonse, so if you're looking for an aroma to compare to, you can see if you can find some.

Talenti Mango Sorbetto is a great example of Alphonso flavor profile (what is grown in Florida is a poor example, assuming what you ate was a true Alphonso).
- Rob

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2020, 12:36:31 PM »
*********  Mod edit:  Topics merged  *********
Tim

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »
I just had that i was told is a Buxton Spice mango. I really like it not as strong as Graham. If you get a chance try it :) :) :)