Author Topic: Growing fruit trees close together in a hedgerow  (Read 4610 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Growing fruit trees close together in a hedgerow
« on: March 30, 2012, 06:19:03 AM »
http://ucanr.org/sites/sacmg/Orchard/    (more photos and examples)

Fruit bush hedgerow - 5 feet apart

Originally, eight trees were planted two feet apart in a hedgerow. We found this planting much too close and removed the entire row. We planted three new pluot trees five feet apart. We installed a raised bed to allow for better drainage.  From our experience, trees planted in a hedgerow need to be planted at least five to six feet apart.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:40:01 PM by zands »

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Growing fruit trees close together.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:43:41 AM »
Commercial farms up north are planting tropical fruit trees very close together on Tatura Trellis systems, increasing their resistance to tropical storms, increasing productivity and keeping the fruit within reach for harvest and protection:

http://www.treefruit.com.au/index.php/2012-02-11-05-40-34/tree-training-trellis/item/34-tatura-trellis-open-tatura—more-than-tree-training-systems

Survived a cat 5 cyclone recently with little loss, when almost every other farm within hundreds of kms was razed.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
Survived a cat 5 cyclone recently with little loss, when almost every other farm within hundreds of kms was razed.

That is amazing....I wouldn't think that was possible.  There must be some heavy duty rock in the ground for the tree roots to anchor to.  Thanks for posting this.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:20:03 PM »

Originally, eight trees were planted two feet apart in a hedgerow. We found this planting much too close and removed the entire row. We planted three new pluot trees five feet apart. We installed a raised bed to allow for better drainage.  From our experience, trees planted in a hedgerow need to be planted at least five to six feet apart.

I've seen this in residential areas all over Socal......I hope my high density planting technique works in the long run. I've posted pics of mangos, Lychee, longan seedling 3-4 feet apart producing high yield.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 03:38:06 PM »

I've seen this in residential areas all over Socal......I hope my high density planting technique works in the long run. I've posted pics of mangos, Lychee, longan seedling 3-4 feet apart producing high yield.

Very nice! Lots of the high density education comes out of Dave's nursery in California. It works out for them too because they sell more $35 trees as people try to extend the season and varieties by more small trees rather than one or two large ones. So you can be your own land baron with an orchard...At  least that's what I try to do

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk