Author Topic: 7 gallon kari carambola  (Read 6182 times)

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
7 gallon kari carambola
« on: June 28, 2015, 07:59:36 PM »
I recently purchased a 7 gallon kari carambola and it's been in ground for maybe a month. Within two weeks it started flowering like crazy now I counted over 80 little fruits setting. I have never grew carambola before. Could anyone tell me if it will hold all the fruit?  Because by the size of the tree about 5 ft I don't know how it could support that many fruit. Or Will it drop some before they mature? Any help thanks

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Re: 7 gallon kari carambola
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 08:29:27 PM »
It will drop most but will probably try to keep more than it should. If you want to sample fruit (which most on this forum will advise against at that size), then I would thin it down to maybe 5 - 10 at this point and thin it further as they get a bit bigger. Wouldn't keep more than 3 on there at that size.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 08:35:08 PM »
I recently purchased a 7 gallon kari carambola and it's been in ground for maybe a month. Within two weeks it started flowering like crazy now I counted over 80 little fruits setting. I have never grew carambola before. Could anyone tell me if it will hold all the fruit?  Because by the size of the tree about 5 ft I don't know how it could support that many fruit. Or Will it drop some before they mature? Any help thanks

If it was in a 7 gallon I'll bet it will hold fruit some fruit. Carambola are like the avos I have had. They set a lot of fruit but self abort a lot, it's almost a good thing that they do :-) Mine (all three Kari, Bell and Kajang)  were vexing as a 3 gallon trees I put it in the ground and they flowered a bunch but did not set fruit for a couple of years. Once it did set them, they kept many.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:37:12 PM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 08:46:26 PM »
Thanks for the help, just on Friday I counted around 30 now today over 80 fruits

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 11:00:05 PM »
cut them off and let the tree grow...it sucks, but it's well worth it in the long run.   I wouldn't leave it up to chance...just my 2 cents
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 10:16:25 AM »
cut them off and let the tree grow...it sucks, but it's well worth it in the long run.   I wouldn't leave it up to chance...just my 2 cents

A 7g carambola can easily support 5-10 fruit as savemejebus suggested, no need to remove them all.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 02:57:27 PM »
i got a 3gal last year, and kept it in the container so i could plant it out in the spring.
it had flowered a lot, i cut most off, 1 turned into a fruit, but it was already cold
and the plant was loosing leaves by the time it was ripe.
i got a taste, but, im sure the fruit will be better down the road..

I put it in the ground in April i think. its grown a  lot
i really want to sample the fruit this fall.
So far this year, not even a flower though....
probably for the best.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 03:53:05 PM »
Since we are on the subject, how do you eat star fruit? Peel it, eat it straight? Seems kind of waxy to eat with the peel on it.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 04:53:28 PM »
Since we are on the subject, how do you eat star fruit? Peel it, eat it straight? Seems kind of waxy to eat with the peel on it.

Wait for it to get as ripe as it can. Cut off any green edges with a knife. Those are the most sour part of the fruits. Then slice to eat or eat whole. No peeling necessary.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 05:15:14 PM »
eating it is OK, but for the wow factor, try juicing it and adding to OJ or drinking straight.  OUTSTANDING flavor when juiced
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 05:19:01 PM »

Eat out of hand not peeled chilled or room temperature, juiced, in chicken / curry recipes, as a duck sauce for baking, in salads,  as a garnish, in shakes.
Regards,

Gary

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 05:22:11 PM »

dehydrated, like chips ! (there is a post about this already)

or juiced!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 11:58:10 AM »
Just after I planted mine, the ex and I started our divorce.   I moved but knew she didn't even care or know about the tree.  So I got an uncle to drive me to the house, I hopped out of the truck with a shovel and he went down two blocks and turned around and I got back in after putting the shovel and fruit tree in the back. 

I cut the top half off and planted it and  never missed a crop. It fruited the first year in the ground and has frozen back a time or two, but has never failed to fruit.   

Water it and stand back.   This is one tree that will produce a lot of fruit for you.  It wants to bloom each big rain storm in season.   

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 01:19:36 AM »
Just after I planted mine, the ex and I started our divorce.   I moved but knew she didn't even care or know about the tree.  So I got an uncle to drive me to the house, I hopped out of the truck with a shovel and he went down two blocks and turned around and I got back in after putting the shovel and fruit tree in the back. 

I cut the top half off and planted it and  never missed a crop. It fruited the first year in the ground and has frozen back a time or two, but has never failed to fruit.   

Water it and stand back.   This is one tree that will produce a lot of fruit for you.  It wants to bloom each big rain storm in season.
Ever get shot at while picking mangos?

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 01:36:45 AM »
I mix mine with grapefruit juice....

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 05:40:58 PM »
Not in a yard I owned.  Just easier to not let on I wanted it at that time. Sometimes others don't want something until they find out someone else does. 

The guy who bought the house later, wiped out close to thirty types of citrus to plant grass.    And I still have the tree, not just one half of it. 

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 07:44:31 AM »
Not in a yard I owned.  Just easier to not let on I wanted it at that time. Sometimes others don't want something until they find out someone else does. 

The guy who bought the house later, wiped out close to thirty types of citrus to plant grass.    And I still have the tree, not just one half of it.

;D :o ;D ;D
~Jeff

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 08:28:22 AM »

Hmm... I wiped out my grass to plant nearly 30 types of fruit :-)
Regards,

Gary

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 04:48:28 PM »
I can see taken out the grass to plant fruit for sure...