Author Topic: Lara farms "grafted miami soursop"  (Read 5331 times)

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
Lara farms "grafted miami soursop"
« on: January 26, 2017, 01:00:26 PM »
Does anyone on here have a grafted miami soursop that has fruited yet? I have a seedling that comes from a good quality fruit but I want to add another tree and been reading about them. I was wondering how the fruit is taste and production . Also Excaliber had grafted trees of a good variety but they said they don't have any grafted at the moment. Thanks

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Lara farms "grafted miami soursop"
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »
Does anyone on here have a grafted miami soursop that has fruited yet? I have a seedling that comes from a good quality fruit but I want to add another tree and been reading about them. I was wondering how the fruit is taste and production . Also Excaliber had grafted trees of a good variety but they said they don't have any grafted at the moment. Thanks

Not sure if they still have them but they had some Miami that I believe were grafted in 45 and 65 gal sizes.

As for quality,  I know Julian says ut is very good but I have not personally tasted it.
- Rob

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 01:37:10 PM »
Yea I'm looking for 15-25 gallon size I kno lara farms has them

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 03:04:05 PM »
 I bought mine at Florida Nursery Mart in Davie a couple of years ago.. tree hasn't fruited yet but growing like crazy

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 03:50:14 PM »
Adam has fruited it. I was under the impression that the fruit was ok and had some fiber. His is in a pot though. What I got out of Julian was that it was selected because it is a heavy producer in the Redlands. PIN nursery had them but I am almost certain they came from Lara. I know he grafts large batches of stuff for them.
-Josh

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 05:04:07 PM »
Thanks for info . So it's not anything superior to a seedling tree ?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »
The draw of the miami tree is that it's supposed to be productive even in poor high ph soil.

There are 2 types of guanabanas -- sweet ones and tart. The tart variety is a mix of sweet and tart with varying degrees of both components, but the sweet has little to no detectable acidity and is actually quite good. Julian claims that the miami cultivar is of the sweet type, but that's unconfirmed, since I've never tried one.
Jeff  :-)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 07:36:29 PM »
The draw of the miami tree is that it's supposed to be productive even in poor high ph soil.

There are 2 types of guanabanas -- sweet ones and tart. The tart variety is a mix of sweet and tart with varying degrees of both components, but the sweet has little to no detectable acidity and is actually quite good. Julian claims that the miami cultivar is of the sweet type, but that's unconfirmed, since I've never tried one.

I wonder the taste difference of homestead variety soursop

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 07:52:53 PM »
How is the fruit from excaliber's seedling trees?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 09:10:46 PM »

Its pretty good.  Its on the sweeter side with a balance of subacid.  Original tree had a low seed count, for a soursop.  I have never had a fibre free soursop so I wouldn't make that claim.  I would love to see the fruit of what people claim to have a fibre free soursop.
- Rob

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 11:58:36 PM »

Its pretty good.  Its on the sweeter side with a balance of subacid.  Original tree had a low seed count, for a soursop.  I have never had a fibre free soursop so I wouldn't make that claim.  I would love to see the fruit of what people claim to have a fibre free soursop.

I would second that. I had my first runt fruit from my Excalibur a couple of months ago and think it showed a lot of promise. It was not a prime example of a Excalibur Soursop fruit but it was still sweet and there was a real nice complexity to the fruit that I hope develops further as the tree matures. My tree was grafted though and not one of their seedlings.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 09:18:15 AM »
The ones from my tree, which I purchased from Excalibur about five years ago, are definitely sweet, but tart at the same time, a nice balance.  But I don't know how you could ever have a fiberless soursop.
John

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 08:22:45 PM »
So I called lara farms and they carried 3,7,15,and 25 gallon "miami" soursop and they wanted 50$ for 3 gallon 100$ for 7 gallon 200$ for 15 and 400$ for 25. Prices seem too high. Anyway called PIN and they only had 3 gallon that were grafted from lara farms so picked one up for 35$.