Author Topic: Members here from Goa India  (Read 1093 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Members here from Goa India
« on: July 13, 2018, 03:10:27 PM »
Any fellow members here from Goa Area India? Please PM me. Wanted to learn about local mangoes there.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
Re: Members here from Goa India
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 09:48:00 PM »
During the first 25 years of my life in the West Coast of India South of Goa I have most likely tasted over thousand (Yes. 1000) different varieties of non-grafted so called 'wild' mangoes and never cared much for any or some top grafted varieties including 'Benet Alfanso' / AKA 'appus'. We had a family fruit orchard growing varieties of Mangoes, Cashew, Jack Fruits and most other common Indian and other tropical fruits in about 16 acres of land and it was not a business venture!
 5 acres of over forty (40) grafted varieties of mangoes specially obtained from Agriculture Colleges of 1. Bangalore in Mysore,  2. Agricultural Colleges in Coimbatore and Northern part of Andhra of Madras Province, 3. Poona Agricultural College of Bombay Province. We also had so many varieties of 'wild mangoes' each tree having it's unique quality which is hard to describe. Most of the home gardens had their own unique mangoes. This is true of the whole Deccan Plateau, South of the Vindhya Mountains.
Frankly I chuckle when reading about the 'greatness' of most (all!) of the mangoes mentioned in the TFF. It is hard to perceive what I am talking about.

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
Re: Members here from Goa India
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 11:46:46 AM »
I am from Ratnagiri. Its between Goa and Mumbai. Same climate like goa.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk