Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620985 times)

JFranco

• Ericeira, Portugal, Zone 10b.
    • View Profile
    • Passionfruit & Friends
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #875 on: February 10, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »
Hi!

My name is Joćo Franco. I live in Portugal and have several exotic species, specially passiflora. I am eager to trade and exchange seeds of new species!

Best wishes,

Joćo Franco

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 10, 2014, 11:01:32 AM »
Hi!

My name is Joćo Franco. I live in Portugal and have several exotic species, specially passiflora. I am eager to trade and exchange seeds of new species!

Best wishes,

Joćo Franco
Hi Joćo, it's good to see you here! You will love this fórum!  ;D

Clay

• USDA Zone 10B, 75' ASL, Orange County, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 11, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
Hello all, I am happy to have found this forum.  I have been growing fruit trees in my small back yard in So. California (92626) for 20+ years.  I have orange, lemon, grapefruit, kumquat, and fuji apple.  About 15 years ago, I fell in love with Nam Doc Mai mangos while vacationing in the Caribbean, and I have been trying to grow one at home since.  I see there are lots of messages in the forums about growing mangos, so I plan to read through them and see if I can get some tips to be more successful, and maybe post a few questions.

Thanks for having such a wonderful site.  I look forward to learning more! 8)

<<<< Clay >>>>
<<<< Clay >>>>
Orange County, CA 92626

Mystee

• USA
    • View Profile
Hello - I am new
« Reply #878 on: February 15, 2014, 10:04:49 PM »

Hi - I am new here. I grow dragon fruit. Good day, Mystee

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Hello - I am new
« Reply #879 on: February 15, 2014, 11:54:12 PM »
Hello mystee,

Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will learn a lot from this forum and you will probably see posts about other types of fruiting plants besides Dragon Fruit that may get your attention. What part of the US are you in?
Simon

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 16, 2014, 01:40:44 AM »
Hi Mystee,

Welcome to the forum community. Are you just a back yard DF grower/hobbyist or a DF farmer?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 16, 2014, 02:36:50 AM »
Welcome Mystee. Now that is a name with mystique. You can search at the top for threads on what you are interested, go to the trading section or just tell us about your dragon fruit to get the ball rolling.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 16, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »
Wellcome Mystee! I'm starting to grow pitayas this year with cuttings that i trade with friends from fórum. So, please share with us your experiences! Thank's!  ;D

gaston

• azuero Panama
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 17, 2014, 09:56:07 AM »
Hello

My name is Francois,Gaston being my nickname.

Spend most of my time at sea but now I'm living in the western Azuero in Panama.
I do have a small nursery I just finished ,to hold my future seedlings and wild small trees I 'll collect from the wild.
I would like to grow some fruits trees here . Found this forum very usefull hence my post now to introduce myself.
I'm quite far away from internet were i live so don't worry if no answers from my part for a while

regards
francois

Mystee

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 02, 2014, 04:09:05 PM »
Hi Everyone - I grow d. fruit, because a friend said it was interesting. She sent me a large cutting with no i.d.
 I waited for roots to come and then planted. It quickly grew large , to 3 ft. no flowers or fruit. So, this year , I hope to
get flowers and fruit. I would also, be interested in trading cuttings and selling. I am in zone 8, Texas. Please, pm me if interested.
Thanks for your nice replies, Mystee  :)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: March 02, 2014, 04:23:34 PM »
Welcome Mystee....there's a bunch of folks here, growing them dragons. :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 02, 2014, 05:34:08 PM »
Welcome Mystee.
Dragon fruit will only flower from horizontal or pendulous stems. A vertical (upward growing) stem will not do so. That's one of the reasons they are trellised or grown in pots with stakes. Let your plant form drooping branches from the main stem and you will be in business. I tried growing one in a basket and it got so heavy that the basket broke.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:52:21 AM by phantomcrab »
Richard

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 02, 2014, 06:13:08 PM »
Hi Mystee,

Welcome to the forum.  :)
You might have already seen it, but if you haven't, here's a thread that you might like.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=228.0

Another round of cold this week, so stay warm!
Again welcome to the forum and good luck with your dragon fruit..:)

huertasurbanas

• Junķn, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #888 on: March 02, 2014, 09:07:05 PM »
Welcome Mystee, I dont grow dragon fruit yet, but a friend of Tucuman, Argentina, found some fruits into the forest (it seems dragon fruit is native to that region) and will send me some seeds...

here, some photos of the fruits found by him:

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #889 on: March 03, 2014, 07:54:56 AM »
Welcome Mystee.
Dragon fruit will only flower from horizontal or pendulous stems. A vertical (upward growing) stem will not do so. That's one of the reasons they are trellised or grown in pots with stakes. Let your plant form drooping branches from the main stem and you will be in business. I tried growing one in a basket and it got so heavy that the basket broke.

While this generally regarded as a true statement of dragon fruit culture, on my dragon fruit stands, once they got some size, they have also flowered/fruited on uprights, quite frequently actually.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 03, 2014, 08:19:54 AM »
Hi Everyone - I grow d. fruit, because a friend said it was interesting. She sent me a large cutting with no i.d.
 I waited for roots to come and then planted. It quickly grew large , to 3 ft. no flowers or fruit. So, this year , I hope to
get flowers and fruit. I would also, be interested in trading cuttings and selling. I am in zone 8, Texas. Please, pm me if interested.
Thanks for your nice replies, Mystee  :)

Howdy from the Lone Star State. You've found a nice place to meet new friends and share, enjoy!

Not to be a hall monitor  but it helps others if you'll put your zone and location in your Profile info.   Gives us a reference point regarding climate.  Exactly what zone are you in, A or B?  Curious because I too have a dragon fruit, pitaya, from Costa Rica.  They are epiphytic so the care is gonna be different than soil based plants.

Bueno bye

Green-LandTrop

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
    • Green-Land Tropical Nursery
« Reply #891 on: March 04, 2014, 04:24:16 PM »
Hello everyone!  Glad to have run into a forum like this on tropical fruit. 

David Perez, with Green-Land Tropical Nursery and Perez Groves.  We have been growing tropical fruit commercially since 1979, specializing in Mamey Sapote, Sapodilla, Longan, Lychee and Caimito.  Our nursery contains many tropical fruit trees including

Mango(30varieties)
Avocado(15 varieties)
Lychee
Longan
Mamey
Sapodilla
Jaboticaba
Cashew
Star Fruit
Sour Sop
Atemoya
Sugar Apple
Caimito
Tamarind
Peaches
Spanish Lime
Persimmon
Mulberry
Loquat
Guava
Fig
Barbado Cherry
Jakfruit
Citrus

I hope to learn from this forum and hope to be of some assistance to some of you.

Happy Growing!

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 05, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »
Hello everyone!  Glad to have run into a forum like this on tropical fruit. 

David Perez, with Green-Land Tropical Nursery and Perez Groves.  We have been growing tropical fruit commercially since 1979, specializing in Mamey Sapote, Sapodilla, Longan, Lychee and Caimito.  Our nursery contains many tropical fruit trees including

Mango(30varieties)
Avocado(15 varieties)
Lychee
Longan
Mamey
Sapodilla
Jaboticaba
Cashew
Star Fruit
Sour Sop
Atemoya
Sugar Apple
Caimito
Tamarind
Peaches
Spanish Lime
Persimmon
Mulberry
Loquat
Guava
Fig
Barbado Cherry
Jakfruit
Citrus

I hope to learn from this forum and hope to be of some assistance to some of you.

Happy Growing!
Welcome to the forum. Do you by chance sell and ship your produces? I would love to order some when they are in season :)

snhabegger

• Nick
    • Edmonton, Canada, Zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 05, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »
I didn't think to introduce myself a few weeks ago when I started using the forum, apologies!  I'm an anthropologist who taught for a few years and went back to school to study public health.  When I was young I was an exchange student in Thailand, and when I was older I went back to live and work there for several years.  My wife and I own some land in NE Thailand where we have an orchard that is about 6 years old now -- unfortunately, we're living in Alberta right now, but hope to return.  We're growing the main fruits of Thailand that grow in the north and dry northeast, but haven't tried things like durian or marang yet.  Our trees are just starting to fruit heavily, and we're told our in-laws are overwhelmed with star apples, star fruits, santols, mangoes, breadfruit, crummy Thai pomegranates, kaffir limes, real limes, Rangpur oranges, and hopefully lynchees (flowering now).  I've introduced three fruits that are unknown in the area -- soursops, pejibayes, and jaboticabas -- and hope to plant abiu, green sapote, Rollinia, poshte, and ilama.  Of these only the soursops have fruited and it cannot be said that they are a huge hit . . .  We have four trees and I think at least two are going to come out if we ever get any seedlings going of those above.  I'd also like to grow avocados, but that's a project that will have to wait until we can visit an agricultural research station in Khorat or Tak and get some real grafted varieties that are appropriate for the climate (and for pollinating each other). 

That's about it -- it bugs me, thinking about all these things as we endure the winter up in Edmonton . . .

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 09, 2014, 09:02:36 AM »
Hello everyone- I have been using this forum for a couple years and have gleaned  a whole lot about tropical and container tropical fruit cultivation. I joined  now in order to connect with others interested in this incredible hobby  and learn even more:) I also enjoy growing tonic and medicinal  herbs especially from ayurveda and TCM.
The fruit trees I have at the moment are:
White sapote
Banana(Williams)
Mango(tommy Atkinson and Kensington)
Litchee
Wax jambu
Coffee(arabica)
Granadilla
Guava(pink)
Grape fruit(star ruby)
Naartjie
Tree tomato
Marula
Big num num
Pineapple
Pomegranate
Grape

I also have grown from seed and about three months old:
Rollinia deliciousa
Miracle fruit
Rambutan
Longan
Starfruit
Cherimoya
Amla
Jaboticaba

I know many say it is a waste of time growing from seed but even obtaining seeds is difficult and expensive for me let alone grafted varieties. It's also risky on anything recalcitrant as shipping takes a month or more For me living in South Africa. So I figure I just grow more than one seedling and hope for the odds to be in my favour. I'm sure after 8 years plus if I get fruit it will taste fantastic to me anyway!

I look forward to learning more and "growing" through this forum.

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

frukt

• algarve portugal, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 09, 2014, 09:47:09 AM »
I also enjoy growing tonic and medicinal  herbs especially from ayurveda and TCM.

:) me to.

Nice fruit trees you have. That big num num tree looks interesting. see you.....

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 10, 2014, 08:14:57 PM »
Great to hear:) medicinal herbs are what started my obsession with plants.
The big num num is a very nice shrub and it's indigenous to my country so I felt obligated to grow it ha ha. Iv yet to try the fruit fresh but iv had it in a very nice pie.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Qoppa

• Wake Forest, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 13, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »
Good evening (time-zone dependent), everyone.  I figured it's about time to finally say hello to the group.  My wife and I are fairly new to fruit as a hobby but we've been slowly building up our plant collection.  We lived in San Diego for about six months but recently drove across the country to North Carolina with four pets and a trunk full of plants.  We have some white sapotes and kei apples from Exotica in Vista, CA, two types of Garcinias and some cacaos from Montoso, some quenepas and miracle fruits from seeds we brought from a trip to Puerto Rico, and a few other miscellaneous plants.

We want to add more Garcinias and some Annonas to our collection and are also interested in Eugenias and Joboticabas.  Some of the rare things that pop up on these forums seem quite interesting so I'm sure I'll be in touch with a few of you soon.  We definitely need to plan a trip to Florida to visit Bender's, Flying Fox, and Pine Island.  We hope to make it down there sometime this Spring.

Since we live in a temperate area, we'll have to get a few Pawpaw cultivars, some persimmons, and more.  We're buying a house with two acres so we should have plenty of room for plants both inside and out of the greenhouse.  I look forward to getting to know the lot of you soon.  Have a good one!

Keith

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 13, 2014, 10:18:36 PM »
Hi Keith,

Nice to hear from a grower in a neighboring state. I am in Virginia myself. NC is really pretty. I have been there many times. Growing Eugenias and Garcinias sounds like a great idea. I am into Eugenia species myself. I assume you have a greenhouse for your most tender plants.

Tomas

Qoppa

• Wake Forest, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 13, 2014, 10:23:21 PM »
Hi Keith,

Nice to hear from a grower in a neighboring state. I am in Virginia myself. NC is really pretty. I have been there many times. Growing Eugenias and Garcinias sounds like a great idea. I am into Eugenia species myself. I assume you have a greenhouse for your most tender plants.

Tomas

Hi Tomas.  We haven't built the greenhouse yet, so the plants are all indoors for the time being.  They'll be getting better light in about a week.  Which Eugenias do you have?  So far we only have a small Suriname Cherry seedling we germinated.

Keith