Author Topic: Decided to Plant my Maha Chanok...  (Read 63674 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Decided to Plant my Maha Chanok...
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2015, 12:40:59 PM »
My Mahachanok has the same plant tag as Stormin which BSBullie confirmed it's a tag from Excalibur. I was told by the seller that they got their Maha tree from Zills. How does a Zill plant tag look like? Just trying to find out the true origin of my tree.

Looks like an Excalibur tag to me. I'm sure Rob can find a few trees at Excalibur this weekend with the same exact tag.

If I remember correctly, Zills tags are usually thinner. Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 the size of the tag shown.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2015, 01:04:30 PM »

Maha has been a really slow grower for me as well. In fact, it competes with Pickering for the title of slowest grower among the trees I have.

I planted 50 mango varieties since July including Maha and pickering and that is my exact same observation.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2015, 01:08:58 PM »

Maha has been a really slow grower for me as well. In fact, it competes with Pickering for the title of slowest grower among the trees I have.

I planted 50 mango varieties since July including Maha and pickering and that is my exact same observation.

You mentioned that you chopped your Mahachanok back when you planted it though. Did you do that with any other trees? If you chop a tree back when you plant it in the winter/dry season, it will take longer to recover and push new growth.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »
My Mahachanok has the same plant tag as Stormin which BSBullie confirmed it's a tag from Excalibur. I was told by the seller that they got their Maha tree from Zills. How does a Zill plant tag look like? Just trying to find out the true origin of my tree.

Mahachanok is the first tree on the left.

Yes, that is indeed an Excalibur tag.  Where did you get your Mahachanok from?
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2015, 01:49:47 PM »

I bet from that generic mango selling picture thieves from eBay
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 01:56:09 PM by JF »

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 09, 2015, 02:51:34 PM »
The bags are only one element in a larger plan that I've been using the past two seasons. One lost fruit out of 200+.

Protecting from fruit flies ?  The bags are not gonna slow up many squirrels or birds.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:32:56 PM by jc »
JC

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »

Maha on the left, Mallika on the right
I got my Mahachanok from Mickey at POG. It appears to be a fairly good grower. It's about as old as the Mallika and about the same size.
Richard

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2015, 08:46:39 PM »
I would top it between 3.5 - 4 feet.

Already cut off the top a month ago when it was starting to get warm outside. :) I've cut it to around that height that you've mentioned and from that cut mark it has pushed 3 or 4 branch growths (not sure what you call it, but it's not the fruit spikes).

Is it in ground or potted?  If potted, and you already haven't,  pot up to a 7 gal.  Keep well watered and fertilize with a light application of a palm type fertilizer.

It's potted, in a pot that's 22 inches wide and I think 17 inches tall. I have a fertilizer I bought last year for my citrus trees, it says it's a citrus, avocado, mango fertilizer 6-4-6. Is that a good ratio? I've been watering my potted plants every day to every other day (bigger pots are every other day) due to the heat and lack of rain. Here's a picture of the Maha today

It has two new growth near the area I've cut, and 3 new growths just below the other two growths.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2015, 09:09:07 PM »
The tree looks good.  Just some advice and its not meant as criticism.

Black nursery pots are best to use  due to area for root development.   See how your pits taper at the bottom, that just restricts the area for root growth.   You can pick up used nursery pots from landscapes companies and nurseries.

The fertilizer you are using is not bad but it d I es lack some of the minor elements.   If you can find 8-3-9,  that I s good, or otherwise search for a high quality palm fertilizer.

If you feel inclined, you can tip the new growth.  You do not have to let it harden off.  Dont take off too much, just the tip and let the nodes be your guide.  The new growth will come out in the direction the nodes are facing.

Lastly, make sure you keep watering.
- Rob

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2015, 09:52:45 PM »

If you chop a tree back when you plant it in the winter/dry season, it will take longer to recover and push new growth.

I pugged 10 mangoes in February and all of them exploded with new growth after only a couple weeks. 
- Marley

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2015, 10:01:13 PM »
All You Guys Mangos Are Looking Good ! , I fell a little left Behind with my Little Carie , Dropped most of the fruit but its still holding 3 .

Zone 10

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 09, 2015, 10:07:57 PM »
All You Guys Mangos Are Looking Good ! , I fell a little left Behind with my Little Carie , Dropped most of the fruit but its still holding 3 .

I hate to tell you but that little fruit is a goner.  You can tell by the yellow coloration.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:51:58 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2015, 10:43:04 PM »

I bought the Mahachanok from eBay.

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 10, 2015, 08:19:04 PM »
The tree looks good.  Just some advice and its not meant as criticism.

Black nursery pots are best to use  due to area for root development.   See how your pits taper at the bottom, that just restricts the area for root growth.   You can pick up used nursery pots from landscapes companies and nurseries.

The fertilizer you are using is not bad but it d I es lack some of the minor elements.   If you can find 8-3-9,  that I s good, or otherwise search for a high quality palm fertilizer.

If you feel inclined, you can tip the new growth.  You do not have to let it harden off.  Dont take off too much, just the tip and let the nodes be your guide.  The new growth will come out in the direction the nodes are facing.

Lastly, make sure you keep watering.

Thanks Rob, no I didn't take it as a criticism any advise is greatly appreciated. :)

Yeah, those green pots I have aren't exactly the greatest pots, very thin and flimsy. I was going to replace them soon. Thanks for the tip on using nursery pots, I'll take a trip up to Lukas Nursery and see if they have any used ones for sale. Locals seem to like that nursery (I haven't been there yet) and they also have a butterfly encounter, so my wife will enjoy that.

I'll keep an eye out for 8-3-9 fertilizer or good palm tree fertilizer. I wish I lived near Excalibur, from what I've read in different threads, they make their own blend. That and I wouldn't have to worry about those frosts. :)

I'll tip the tips off tomorrow and see if I can find the nodes. And yes, I definitely will keep watering, it's been hot and too dry for a few weeks now.

Thanks again for all your help!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 11, 2015, 10:30:32 AM »
My Excalibur MaHa is on its third flowering cycle and has set a good amount of fruits. I should have fruits from July to sept

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 11, 2015, 12:09:55 PM »

Very NICE Joe!!! My maha are teeny tiny compared to yours...barely pea size  :-\ :'( :(

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 11, 2015, 05:51:56 PM »
...and what this all this multi-flowering people are getting?
What is it, the desert climate out here that just gives the mangoes
ONE SHOT at flowering each year?

sheesh   

G

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 12, 2015, 01:55:14 AM »
...and what this all this multi-flowering people are getting?
What is it, the desert climate out here that just gives the mangoes
ONE SHOT at flowering each year?

sheesh   

G
Gary
I've had multi-flowering on most of my trees. Mahachanok and LZ three blooms if the third sets I should have fruits until Oct.

Nancy

Thanks. I have different size fruitlets around the entire tree. I hope they will self-thin if not I'm going to have to step in

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2015, 04:48:27 PM »
Update on the two I planted in August. They made it through the mild winter just fine. The NDM#4 got pretty bad tip burn and dehydration (could almost see the water getting sucked out of the smaller branches) in the early spring when it really got warm. I was monitoring the soil pretty closely and don't think it was under or overwatered. Both NDM and LZ flowered briefly. The tip burn on the NDM worsened gradually and then all the leaves went completely brown in a day. Rest of the tree turned brown shortly after that. Dead through and through.

On the bright side, the LZ seems to be ok for now and the NDM rootstock is pushing all kinds of water shoots. So I'll be able to regraft on those.

Shane