Author Topic: My Freeze Damage Feb. 2015  (Read 11132 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: My Freeze Damage Feb. 2015
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 10:20:40 AM »

You are definitely lucky  ;D...hope you get some mangoes this year!!

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 04:40:22 PM »
Sorry you had so much damage! It is amazing how much colder your area is, even tho u r south of me.  I was sick, so just turned on th c9s I'd strung in the fall and hoped for the best. I got lucky, it only hit 32 for an hour or two, and blooms were not damaged. Walked around today tho and powdery mildew is bad. Sprayed last weekend for it, but so much rain! Manlita is a trooper and seems to be setting heavily anyhow. Angie on the other hand is not setting much at all, despite every terminal producing a bloom spike. Cogshall is forming blooms, Pickering hasn't woke up yet. My lychee is forming new somethings, hoping for blooms, but won't be able to tell for another week...

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 08:03:29 AM »

Hi Sun!! I too am shocked at the fact I much further south than you and my temps are so much colder and longer...UGH!!!

Powdery mildew is really bad for me this year...before the blooms got "fried" from the freeze they were so bad especially on my big Glenn...worst than any year! Its been so wet and foggy...an awful year for blooming mangoes here...

Since the 10 day forecast show my highs in the upper 70's to mid 80's I think my freeze days are done for the season...I went ahead and cleaned up my tree...All the blooms are dead on this Cogshall my worst hit tree...decided might as well do it now...my hubby was a big help, he's getting to be quite a good little "pugger"  ;)

Could have been worse...won't have any mangos this year but the tree is alive  :)

Will wait to see "if" any blooms survive on the Lychee tree...I actually saw some Bees buzzing around on my Mauritius yesterday...Fingers crossed a few of them survived!?!?

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 08:48:31 AM »

Hi Sun!! I too am shocked at the fact I much further south than you and my temps are so much colder and longer...UGH!!!

Powdery mildew is really bad for me this year...before the blooms got "fried" from the freeze they were so bad especially on my big Glenn...worst than any year! Its been so wet and foggy...an awful year for blooming mangoes here...

Since the 10 day forecast show my highs in the upper 70's to mid 80's I think my freeze days are done for the season...I went ahead and cleaned up my tree...All the blooms are dead on this Cogshall my worst hit tree...decided might as well do it now...my hubby was a big help, he's getting to be quite a good little "pugger"  ;)

Could have been worse...won't have any mangos this year but the tree is alive  :)

Will wait to see "if" any blooms survive on the Lychee tree...I actually saw some Bees buzzing around on my Mauritius yesterday...Fingers crossed a few of them survived!?!?
Don't give up hope, the trees may hit the reset and re-flower.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 01:48:14 PM »
Thanks!! I really think it's too late in the season for a second bloom. It's heating up now. Winter is over. Nothing to instigate the blooms.

I do have a couple of trees just now starting to bloom Maha and another Cogshall (no damage). And also my small potted Glenn  :D

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 05:03:55 PM »
You Should See My Trees Pugs ;(, That Last Cold Snap Did It !
Ed
Zone 10

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 07:57:26 PM »
Your tree is nice and healthy looking after the cleanup. So frustrating not to get fruit tho! We'll see what kind of fruit set I get - next week has 4 more rainy days forecast! What a weird spring - making keeping powdery mildew away hard.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 09:32:15 AM »
Ed

So Sorry Ed!! I hope they pull through, fingers crossed!!

Thanks Sun! Next year I need to spray the trees for PM early in the season...wonder if spraying them in Nov. and Dec. help prevent PM?

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »
I did not have any freeze damage but powdery mildew has been a problem on mango flowers this season. It has been cool and wet all through February.
Richard

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 06:22:48 AM »
Any pictures Ed?

Ed
JC

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 01:14:32 PM »

Here's my light at the end of a 'bad freeze tunnel'   ;)...a little pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...I was quite shocked to see many bees around my inground Mauritius Lychee tree...the blooms that looked like they were "fried" from the freeze seems to be opening...maybe not all of them but certainly more than I could hope for...I really thought the freeze killed all the blooms!

Another weird thing is my Potted Glenn wasn't damaged at all...I never covered it. Its about 10 ft from my house. I'm very happy to see it blooming! My lancetilla on the left and my Potted Hak ip on the right...

Hak ip blooms...seems mostly female flowers...I hope there's some male there somewhere  ;D

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »
Looks like I made it through fairly well.  All my abius made it fine.  I lost a few odds & ends seedlings of pedalai.  Had some damage to french peanut from jim west, garcinia magnifolia, some cacao seedlings, and a few grumichama seedlings. Soursop trees defoliated, but are leafing back out now.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 02:42:36 PM »
Good to see Nancy!!  I read somewhere that Glenn is one of the more cold hardy mango trees.  Who knows, maybe there is a little truth to that after seeing your Glenn survive and prosper

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 04:24:54 PM »

Thanks Grassflats...I'm going to guess its all about location  ;) more so than variety...but who knows right!

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 05:14:10 PM »
   I got you beat Pugs ;),,

My PPK & Glen After the Last Freeze..

I Think they will be OK , If not then Off To buy more Mango Trees ..
Ed
Zone 10

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 09:13:53 PM »
I need to get more proficient at grafting mangos just to be your annual source of supply. I'm going to graft up some tommy atkins and market them as whatever you are in the market for.  You will never know the difference since they die every winter. Going to make a killing! 

So tell me, what cultivars are you interested in now?  I got what you need!😇

I got you beat Pugs ;),,

My PPK & Glen After the Last Freeze..

I Think they will be OK , If not then Off To buy more Mango Trees ..
Ed
JC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk