Author Topic: Tip or no tip?  (Read 9253 times)

redhaus

• USA, IL, Chicago, Zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Tip or no tip?
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2014, 02:22:41 AM »
Pruning completed:

I think I was feeling the pain myself every time I cut a branch, but in the end I couldn't be happier. I am really liking the shape now and can see it turning into a nice little bush. I chose to tip below the flush points to have a better, more spread out structure of branches. Rather than tipping above the flush point and having them all coming out in one location.

I will keep everyone posted.

FrankDrebinOfFruits, I have the tent indoors. So the lowest temp is the indoor temp which is around 77F and we're in Fall.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2014, 07:56:58 AM »
I always preferto go in hard with pruning.

redhaus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 02:34:43 PM »
Wanted to update everyone on the progress with the ST.

I still thought the tree was too tall and lanky after I pruned it so I decided to pug it (thanks to Nancy ;)). I re-potted then pugged it around 19" above the graft on 10/17. The cut was a bit lower than I would have liked but still okay.

On 10/25 I noticed new growth at 11 different points (8 days after pugging) :)

Pugged on 10/17/14:

First sight of new growth on 10/25/14:

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 11:34:03 PM »
Nice pugging redhaus! I know it's hard to do but you'll get a more compact and bushy tree. You've already got lots of nice growth buds that are evenly spaced around the trunk. Please keep us updated on this Sweet Tart of yours.

Simon

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 11:44:54 PM »
Redhaus,

Congrats on making the plunge, that must of been a tough prune to do :). Your going to have a nice compact tree in the future.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 08:18:06 AM »

I think Simon and Null are right...once it gets really going you're going to have a nice low compact tree. I know how hard it is to "pug" a tree especially this severe...to this day I still get very nervous and apprehensive every time I do it,lol...it never gets easier for me and I've done it many times  ::) :o

Best of luck to you...and yes please update!!

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 10:55:27 AM »
Congratulations on your new groth Redhaus! You're very brave to do that!  I always related " pugging" to a person being mature and having the patience virtue, I now is the best thing for having a nice low and wide spread canopy,but I have to fight with my child spirit , who want things faster no matter what!! Im being doing tipping on my grafted trees, perhaps once in a couple years when I have some fruit on any of these trees, I'll have the patience to do "pugging" onmy newer trees!! :)
El verde es vida!

redhaus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 07:37:02 PM »
Thank you everyone for the kind words :)

Simon and Nancy, yes it was very hard to do. It took me three days to think about where to cut and just get comfortable with the idea. I will definitely keep everyone posted!

nullzero, it did feel like a huge risk. I had two Pickering mangoes previously that I didn't even pug and they died soon after I received them and repotted. The culprit was "sour" pine bark mulch that I used to make Al's Gritty Mix. It was from a bag of Repti-Bark I bought at PetSmart.

Raul, thank you very much! I have to control my child spirit too and this time I'm glad I made the right decision for nice compact growth. I was going to leave it as is to rush and get it to fruit, but I decided against it. I wanted to share my progress with others so they can feel confident to do it themselves. You should definitely try it, you may be surprised! And the feeling of seeing new growth is well worth it ;)

redhaus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2014, 06:38:37 PM »
UPDATE:

It's been exactly 4 weeks since the pug. Safe to say Sweet Tart is an extremely vigorous variety.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:22:13 AM by redhaus »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2014, 06:57:40 PM »
Tip well always!  Thank you.
John