Author Topic: Has anyone fruited Marang in south florida?  (Read 6968 times)

Rob P

• Australia, Gold Coast Queensland. 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone fruited Marang in south florida?
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 10:53:11 PM »

The most important thing to do when planting out your seedlings is erecting a frame around them with some 50% shadecloth. These trees start out as under story plants and develop really big multi-lobed leaves to gather as much light to help them grow towards the canopy, if young trees are given full sun too early they will become stunted and harsh looking and stop growing and eventually die. This effect is more pronounced in marginal or less humid climates, I shade my young trees until they are 8 or 9 feet tall and slowly remove the shadecloth in sections during the wet season when humidity and cloud cover are high. As trees mature the leaves change shape to their adult form, this change could also be used as a guide to give plants more sun.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 01:15:43 AM »
I found Marang rather easy to grow once germinated in spring or summer, if germinated in fall or winter you probably don't have a chance. Mine is taking off like a weed, almost 4 years old about 5 feet, In a root pruning pot but my other one in a regular pot is doing just as good

Should add that i do bring it in the garage when it gets below 38F but i bring it back out the next day unless it too is below 38F which is rare.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:18:39 AM by buddyguygreen »

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 09:49:12 AM »
Thanks for the tips! Trying to source for seeds in Spring/Summer is going to be hard. May I know where do you get your Marang buddyguygreen?

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 05:44:23 PM »

Has anyone tried to grow Artocarpus camansi aka breadnut in S. Florida ?.

I remember Peter (the guy from Costa Rica) once said that he uses Artocarpus camansi as a rootstock for Marang and since Artocarpus camansi is very closely related to breadfruit, it might do better in limestone soil.
Moh'd

Rob P

• Australia, Gold Coast Queensland. 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 08:35:38 PM »
Hi all, as I live in the southern hemisphere my Marang fuits from late Feb. to mid April depending on the season (late summer to mid autumn here in Australia). So if anyone in the US wants seed to plant in your spring I can probably help out next season.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2018, 06:53:23 AM »
Hi all, as I live in the southern hemisphere my Marang fuits from late Feb. to mid April depending on the season (late summer to mid autumn here in Australia). So if anyone in the US wants seed to plant in your spring I can probably help out next season.

Hi Rob
Where in south east qld are you?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2018, 05:48:31 PM »
Try Philipine marangs rather than borneo ones as I assume they have more cold tolerance.