Author Topic: Growing Artocarpus Hirsutus  (Read 15387 times)

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Artocarpus Hirsutus
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 08:09:12 PM »
Having keen interest in photography which part of the first photograph of the tree's trunk is the 2nd photograph you posted with a palm behind the bole (trunk)?  In the bare trunk picture with your palm behind it appears to me it is about 6 inches in diameter. For a 3 year old seedling of A. hirsutus it is very hard to believe! Since the value of A. hirsutus wood is in demand and of steep price why don't they go on planting these trees in Kerala than planting rubber trees (Hevea brasiliensis)?
Looking at the bole (trunk) you pictured it appears to me that of a 12 to 15 year old A. hirsutus. Please review my previous posts on this subject. 

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 12:55:38 AM »
Is that of Areca palm seedling in the back ground of the second picture? Is it missing in the background of the accompanying first picture?
It is a grass kinda weed, than can be seen in the bottom part of the first picture also.

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 01:07:11 AM »
Having keen interest in photography which part of the first photograph of the tree's trunk is the 2nd photograph you posted with a palm behind the bole (trunk)?  In the bare trunk picture with your palm behind it appears to me it is about 6 inches in diameter. For a 3 year old seedling of A. hirsutus it is very hard to believe! Since the value of A. hirsutus wood is in demand and of steep price why don't they go on planting these trees in Kerala than planting rubber trees (Hevea brasiliensis)?
Looking at the bole (trunk) you pictured it appears to me that of a 12 to 15 year old A. hirsutus. Please review my previous posts on this subject.
I am holding the trunk about 1ft. from the ground. In the background what you are seeing is not palm seedlings (that are grass kinda weeds, which can be seen in the first picture also).
The tree is 3 years old only. If you can't believe me, please ask the forum member 'DurianLover'. He is growing A. hirsutus in Sri Lanka from seeds I have sent. He reported that the seedlings are very fast growing.
Forum member 'Luc' is also growing Wild jack from my seeds. But, I don't have any updates from him about the growth rate.

A. hirsutus wood is preferred only after Teak and Jackfruit wood in Kerala.  A. hirsutus wood is light weight and at the same time is strong and durable. But, the wood will bend as the weather changes. That is why, it is not used for construction and is used only for making furniture and boats.
Wild jack wood is not grown commercially, and people prefer to grow Teak which can be utilized in 20 years. A. hirsutus takes more years to form the heartwood and the sapwood is of no use. While sapwood of Teak is durable and used to make furniture.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 04:42:32 AM by vipinrl »

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 04:10:30 AM »
In June 1985 the Livestock Research Station in Tiruvazhamkunnu in Palghat ( now called Palakkad ), Kerala initiated a field experiment planting eight fast growing multi purpose trees including Artocarpus hirsutus. Each of the eight species were planted separately in a lot of 20 m x 20 m and at 2 m x 2 m from each other.
In October 1993 the mean height of the Artocarpus hirsutus were 5.5 m and the age of the trees were 8 years and 6 months.

Is that of Areca palm seedling in the back ground of the second picture? Is it missing in the background of the accompanying first picture? I have planted in zone 13 in Latitude 13 degrees 17 ' 09" N and 74 degrees 44' 40" E in ideal humid, hot tropical monsoon climatic area, two ( not one as I mentioned before ) seedlings of A. hirsutus 6 1/2 years ago. They are about 10 feet tall with a diameter of about 4 inches. At the same time I have planted two A. altilis, one A. camanci and 4 A. heterophylus. Most of them are about 20 feet in height and already fruiting. A. hirsutus seedlings will probably fruit after 15 to 20 years.
One of the two A. hirsutus ( I have to find during my next visit where the other one is ) my brother planted about 45 years ago is about 50 to 55 feet in height and about 12" in diameter. It started fruiting about 15 to 20 years ago. And the yearly temperature there is between 70 F to 90 F with high humidity and ample monsoon rain.
I don't see the reason why vipinrl should be lying. Maybe there are different cultivars of hirsutus with different growth pace.

This is a facebook post of a guy in portugal with an Artocarpus Hirsutus flowering at 3 years old, with minimum temp of 12 degrees celsius:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/amantesdefrutales/permalink/1912316392337558/

EDITED LINK
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:16:52 AM by 00christian00 »

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 04:31:30 AM »
In June 1985 the Livestock Research Station in Tiruvazhamkunnu in Palghat ( now called Palakkad ), Kerala initiated a field experiment planting eight fast growing multi purpose trees including Artocarpus hirsutus. Each of the eight species were planted separately in a lot of 20 m x 20 m and at 2 m x 2 m from each other.
In October 1993 the mean height of the Artocarpus hirsutus were 5.5 m and the age of the trees were 8 years and 6 months.

Is that of Areca palm seedling in the back ground of the second picture? Is it missing in the background of the accompanying first picture? I have planted in zone 13 in Latitude 13 degrees 17 ' 09" N and 74 degrees 44' 40" E in ideal humid, hot tropical monsoon climatic area, two ( not one as I mentioned before ) seedlings of A. hirsutus 6 1/2 years ago. They are about 10 feet tall with a diameter of about 4 inches. At the same time I have planted two A. altilis, one A. camanci and 4 A. heterophylus. Most of them are about 20 feet in height and already fruiting. A. hirsutus seedlings will probably fruit after 15 to 20 years.
One of the two A. hirsutus ( I have to find during my next visit where the other one is ) my brother planted about 45 years ago is about 50 to 55 feet in height and about 12" in diameter. It started fruiting about 15 to 20 years ago. And the yearly temperature there is between 70 F to 90 F with high humidity and ample monsoon rain.
I don't see the reason why vipinrl should be lying. Maybe there are different cultivars of hirsutus with different growth pace.

This is a facebook post of a guy in portugal with an Artocarpus Hirsutus flowering at 3 years old, with minimum temp of 12 degrees celsius:
https://www.facebook.com/search/str/artocarpus%2Bhirsutus/keywords_posts?filters_rp_creation_time=%7B%22name%22%3A%22creation_time%22%2C%22args%22%3A%22%7B%5C%22start_year%5C%22%3A%5C%222017%5C%22%2C%5C%22end_year%5C%22%3A%5C%222017%5C%22%7D%22%7D&esd=eyJlc2lkIjoiUzpfSTcxMDIxODg2MDpWSzoxOTEyMzE2MzkyMzM3NTU4IiwicHNpZCI6eyI3MTAyMTg4NjA6MTkxMjMxNjM5MjMzNzU1OCI6IlV6cGZTVGN4TURJeE9EZzJNRHBXU3pveE9URXlNekUyTXpreU16TTNOVFU0IiwiMTAwMDAwNDk3ODg5NDc2OjEyMjIxNDQ5MDc4NzkxNTEiOiJVenBmU1RFd01EQXdNRFE1TnpnNE9UUTNOanBXU3pveE1qSXlNVFEwT1RBM09EYzVNVFV4In0sImNyY3QiOiJtZWRpYSIsImNzaWQiOiIyYWZkZDU1ZGMzM2VmNzU4MmQ1NzVlZDExYjI1Mjc4MCJ9
The guy is not from Portugal; he is from Kerala only.
I don't think A. hirsutus will flower in 3 years.
One more thing: he is living in the HOTTEST part of Kerala (ie., Punalur). Temperature won't fall below 20C in Punalur and goes upto around 44C.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 04:37:32 AM by vipinrl »

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 05:16:10 AM »
One more thing: he is living in the HOTTEST part of Kerala (ie., Punalur). Temperature won't fall below 20C in Punalur and goes upto around 44C.
I am not sure we are talking of the same person, did you see the link?
Yes, I made a mistake on the location but not much. He is from Canary Island in Spain. This is the link on the weather he gave me previously, which you can see on the comments:
http://www.meteoclimatic.net/perfil/ESICA3500000135100A?screen_width=1920
Oh, I get it, since I posted a search link probably you see a different thing. Try this:
He should be a member here too.

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 05:59:20 AM »
Yes, I made a mistake on the location but not much. He is from Canary Island in Spain. This is the link on the weather he gave me previously, which you can see on the comments:
Oh, I get it, since I posted a search link probably you see a different thing. Try this:
Dear friend, seeing the pictures, I doubt if it is A. hirsutus!

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 06:21:19 AM »
Why do you think so?

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 06:43:58 AM »
Why do you think so?
In the picture, the flowers are round. But, A. hirsutus flowers are cylindrical (much more elongated than that of Jackfruit).
Also, the leaves look different.

A picture compilation of Wild Jack is given below. The image is already there in some previous posts of the Forum.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:53:14 AM by vipinrl »

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 07:08:59 AM »

Why do you think so?
In the picture, the flowers are round. But, A. hirsutus flowers are cylindrical (much more elongated than that of Jackfruit).

A picture compilation of Wild Jack is given below. The image is already there in some previous posts of the Forum.

Your seed looks much different than mine, yours resemble a lot jackfruit, while mine are smaller and more elongated.
I think being a wild species there is a lot of diversity.
The guy who sold me the seeds had multiple varieties (different fruits) and the seeds were quite different and recognizable. Now however the seedlings are all the same and I can't distinguish them.

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 07:17:01 AM »

Why do you think so?

Your seed looks much different than mine, yours resemble a lot jackfruit, while mine are smaller and more elongated.
I think being a wild species there is a lot of diversity.
The guy who sold me the seeds had multiple varieties (different fruits) and the seeds were quite different and recognizable. Now however the seedlings are all the same and I can't distinguish them.
Yes, the shape and size of seeds vary from tree to tree. Actually, the seeds shown in the picture are also small (it only appears large as the photo was taken zoomed in).

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2018, 01:40:18 AM »
3 year old Wild jackfruit seedling.

The same tree after a year (4 years from seed). Now, it is about 30+ft.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:42:01 AM by vipinrl »

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2018, 04:56:25 PM »
vipinrl,

Do you know if Artocarpus Hirsutus fruit is available at Tamil-Nadu state ?.

I do know that Jackfruit is Called Palaa Palum in Tamil and Chakka in Malayalam, But got no Idea what Artocarpus Hirsutus is called in Tamil.
Moh'd

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2018, 12:10:13 AM »
vipinrl,

Do you know if Artocarpus Hirsutus fruit is available at Tamil-Nadu state ?.

I do know that Jackfruit is Called Palaa Palum in Tamil and Chakka in Malayalam, But got no Idea what Artocarpus Hirsutus is called in Tamil.

Usually called Aiyinipila in Tamil. The Malayalam name Anjili is also used in Tamil.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2018, 07:51:49 AM »
Thank you very much Guys.

I will try to ask someone from Tamil Nadu state to bring a wild jackfruit fruit to me.
Moh'd

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »
Moh'd, are you going to ask them to bring the whole fruit to UAE?  I've been trying for the past several years without any luck to have a whole fruit bought to Chennai.  One of my relative has some friends in Thodupuzha who have some trees at their places.  Even they are unable to send whole fruit.  BTW, are you from Tamil Nadu?

I will try to ask someone from Tamil Nadu state to bring a wild jackfruit fruit to me.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2018, 02:58:44 PM »
Moh'd, are you going to ask them to bring the whole fruit to UAE?  I've been trying for the past several years without any luck to have a whole fruit bought to Chennai.  One of my relative has some friends in Thodupuzha who have some trees at their places.  Even they are unable to send whole fruit.  BTW, are you from Tamil Nadu?

I'm a local (UAE) Guy .

My father have a small-medium size company that is specialized in importing and exporting goods from India and Australia and to the Arabian Peninsula, and one of his business partner was a guy from Trichy-Tamil Nadu (if i am not mistaken) And that guy usually brings a whole jackfruit when he visit us.

I also know a few guys from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Kerala.
Moh'd

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2018, 04:01:17 PM »
Yes.  Trichy is in Tamil Nadu.  BTW, when I saw your request for Tamil name, I assumed you were from here  :blank: .  So, the above two links from FB that I posted would mean nothing to you.  This fruit is available further south of even Trichy.  In Kanyakumari - the southern most tip of India.  In one of the links above - the one where the man is carrying the fruits hanging on two sides of the pole, the author claims that this is the way this fruit has to be carried.  If packed in any carton or boxes, the fruit won't last even a single day. 

I'm a local (UAE) Guy .

My father have a small-medium size company that is specialized in importing and exporting goods from India and Australia and to the Arabian Peninsula, and one of his business partner was a guy from Trichy-Tamil Nadu (if i am not mistaken) And that guy usually brings a whole jackfruit when he visit us.

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2018, 03:44:53 AM »
Yes.  Trichy is in Tamil Nadu.  BTW, when I saw your request for Tamil name, I assumed you were from here  :blank: .  So, the above two links from FB that I posted would mean nothing to you.  This fruit is available further south of even Trichy.  In Kanyakumari - the southern most tip of India.  In one of the links above - the one where the man is carrying the fruits hanging on two sides of the pole, the author claims that this is the way this fruit has to be carried.  If packed in any carton or boxes, the fruit won't last even a single day. 

I'm a local (UAE) Guy .

I had tasted fruits from atleast 50 Wild jackfruit trees and found only fruits from 5 - 6 tress really good to eat.
Fruits from rest of the trees were between 'eatable' to 'not palatable' due to latex, sourness and lesser flesh to seed ratio. Most of the fruits were small in size too.
There are two trees producing exceptionally good fruits and I rate them above good quality jackfruits. The fruits weigh upto 800 grams, no latex when fully ripe, large bulbs with smaller seeds and taste excellent.

I had tasted fruits from road side vendors many times and was disappointed.

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2020, 12:49:43 AM »
3 year old Wild jackfruit seedling.

The same tree after a year (4 years from seed). Now, it is about 30+ft.

The same tree after 5.5 years from seed. Now, it is about 45+ft and fruited for the first time  :).

Wild jackfruit from seed to fruit: 5 years and 6 months  8)

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2020, 06:36:30 PM »
How is the quality of fruit vipin? This wild jack was planted around 5 year ago on a friends land in HI, still no fruit

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2020, 07:09:27 PM »
Oh yeah they get big and pictured trees still look adolescent. A pedalai would have been even bigger. There are a few SE Asian species that look a bit like hirsutus that I think taste better. Keledang looks a bit different and is a smaller, faster producing tree and don't eat these with keledang to avoid disappointment.

vipinrl

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2020, 08:34:45 PM »
How is the quality of fruit vipin? This wild jack was planted around 5 year ago on a friends land in HI, still no fruit

The yellow-orange arils tasted very good. Literally no latex when ripe! Avarage sized fruits.
But, the number of arils inside the fruits where less in number. Hollow pockets were there inside the husk. I think, this issue will be solved in couple of years as the tree matures.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 12:16:07 AM by vipinrl »

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2020, 01:37:10 AM »
Oh yeah they get big and pictured trees still look adolescent. A pedalai would have been even bigger. There are a few SE Asian species that look a bit like hirsutus that I think taste better. Keledang looks a bit different and is a smaller, faster producing tree and don't eat these with keledang to avoid disappointment.

It’s nice to appreciate it for what it is without the need to compare. Hawaii should have more artocarpus species growing and people would be able to appreciate the differences and diversity. Everyone’s preferences are different
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 01:38:43 AM by ben mango »